Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-12, 01:19 PM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

DeltaFit Speed Shred

I want to thank ALL you enablers on the large DeltaFit thread - and especially to kettlebell & ddj for breakdowns of workouts – I caved a couple of weeks ago and have been very pleased!

Before I get to my brief review, I wanted to link to places on that thread with detailed information about the workouts (for those who can’t get through the whole thread):

Description of the Program & Workouts
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=183026

Equipment needed for the workouts (post is a few down on page 4):
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...=183026&page=4

Breakdowns of Workout from Hell & Ultimate Bootcamp (pages 11 & 12):
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...183026&page=11

Breakdowns of some of the individual workouts (pages 32 & 33):
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...183026&page=32

Instructions for getting the dvds out of the case (thanks fitmiller):
There are 2 springs at the bottom of each dvd – so, push the top edge of the dvd down and it will release.
LunaSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 01:22 PM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

Review of DeltaFit Speed Shred (B.J. Gaddour)

A bit about me:
I’m 51 and have done cardio and strength on & off since my 20s, more regularly the last four years, when I added in a daily yoga practice (which is now my priority!). I’ve done CLX, part of P90X, a lot of Valerie Waters’ programs, and a mix of other circuit workouts (favorites: Atletica, Brooklyn Bridge Bootcamp, KCM Circuit Burn). At one point I started doing more intense circuits (Katami 4x4 Bootcamp, Goudeau Lean Hot Body, Dozois Peak 10), but I burned out quickly. They are just more intense than I want to work. I’d classify myself as a strong intermediate – and happy to stay that way. I only devote 3 days a week to non-yoga workouts (other than walking).

I was away for a couple of months this summer, and did not keep up with regular strength training (walked a lot and did short yoga most days, but not much strength emphasis). So, I wanted to find something to give me a kick-start back to it. Everything Iead about DeltaFit sounded like what I like, and with the discount coupon, it was a great deal. (Even if I only like 6-8 of the (18) workouts, it’s worth the $60!)

Review of DeltaFit Speed Shred (B.J. Gaddour)
(I will post this in the Reviews section)
**NOTE: I do not get to VF General Discussion very often. So, I apologize in advance if you have a question and I don’t get to it.

Workouts in the Program (18 workouts on 8 discs):
Main Workouts (all are 30 minutes – for more specifics see first page of large DeltaFit thread):
Phase 1 (on 1 dvd)
Workout A: Pure Power
Workout B: Super Strength
Workout C: Extreme Endurance

Phase 2 (on 1 dvd)
Workout A: Mad Minute Meltdowns
Workout B: Metabolic Matrix
Workout C: Calorie Crushing Combos

Phase 3 (on 1 dvd)
Workout A: 3-Move Mayhem
Workout B: The Six-Pack Sizzler
Workout C: Speed Shred Supersets

H.E.A.T. Workouts (“optional” workouts on off-days of rotation) (on 1 dvd)
Workout A: Sweat and Stretch (28 minutes)
Workout B: Combat Cardio (40 minutes)
Workout C: Ultimate Isometrics (36 minutes)

Extra Workouts
Ultimate BodyWeight Workout (1 dvd) (45 min)
Ultimate Kettlebell Workout (1 dvd)
Contains 3 workouts: The Beginner Workout, The Advanced Workout, and Kettlebell Cardio
Ultimate Bootcamp Workout (1 dvd)
The Workout from Hell (1 dvd) (60 min)

Overview:
I’ve completed 2 weeks of Phase 1, and have previewed the main workouts from Phases 2 & 3, Ultimate Body-Weight & the Ultimate Kettlebell workouts. From everything I’ve done – and previewed – I love this program!

(The only workout I didn’t like so far, is Phase 2A: Mad-Minute Meltdowns – too much jumping for me; I’ll sub the Ultimate Body Weight instead. I imagine I won’t like the Workout from Hell or the Ultimate Bootcamp – again a lot of plyos and jumping.)

I’m following the rotation, using the main workouts for each Phase, and adding some power walking afterwards, but I’m not adding in any of the extra workouts. I do yoga and some walking on other days.

Phase 1:
The Phase 1 workouts are not advanced, but they are great for where I am. They are adaptable, too (see below). Phase 2 looks much more challenging, so I’m glad Phase 1 will get me prepared.

The first week, I followed the Phase 1 workouts “as-is.” The second week, I increased the intensity by either increasing time (Workout A: Pure Power – I do the exercises for 30 seconds, with 30 seconds rest), or increasing weights (Workouts B & C). All three workouts allow me to go at a pace that is challenging/intense for me, and are short enough that I don’t feel wiped out. I feel I get a good total body workout from all of them. I added a 20 minute power walk after each of these workouts, which helps me get in more cardio.

Other impressions:
What I especially like about the main workouts (Phases 1, 2, 3):
*All the workouts are short (30 min) – which I need because I’m very time-pressed. When I do have time, I can easily add cardio after.
* All the workouts are total-body circuits (I love circuits and I don’t like splits, so this is great!)
* Most of the workouts have good cardio effect (efficient!)
* Most do not have a lot of plyo moves (and those that do seem modifiable; I have modified a lot of the jumps in Pure Power with no problem).
* Seem adaptable to a range of levels – moves get progressively more difficult over the cycles, but you can always stay with the earlier moves. B.J. frequently reminds you about this, and he also offers tips for modifications. To make them more difficult, you can increase weights, and/or do the more advanced moves in the earlier circuits, and/or keep moving during the rest periods.
* Some good kettlebell-type whole body movements (swings, half-turkish get-ups)
* Emphasis on large muscle groups and push-pull movements
* Some creative core moves
* Controlled pace
* I love B.J.! Great with instructions and he makes me laugh.

Things that some may not like, but don’t bother me:
* B.J. can be quite nutty with some of his comments. I find him funny! But some may not.
* You can hear someone off camera giving instructions/ counting down in some of the workouts.
* No warm-ups – although for many of the workouts B.J. says that the first circuit contains "warm-up" variations of the exercises, so can serve as warm-up
* No cool-downs (this works for me because I always do my own cool-downs with yoga)
LunaSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 01:29 PM  
schoolgirl-01

thank you for taking the time to put this together.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 02:35 PM  
kitty12

Nice write up Tracy! Thanks for putting it all in one place. I also have Deltafit but am wrapping up my last week of JNL Fusion so have only done Pure Power in Fast Forward mode (it took 12 minutes).
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 05:52 PM  
Alan

Thanks for the review, LunaSea! I agree with almost everything you said.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 08:10 PM  
fitmiller

LunaSea, you sound just like me. I agree with everything you said in your reviews, which are excellent by the way! I too am so glad I found about this set through VF and have to say it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.
fitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 system, deltafit speedshred