Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-22, 08:13 PM  
Lorelai

Exclamation I just did something a little depressing

... and scrolled through some of the pages of members while exploring around VF again. There are some members who haven't been active in almost 20 years! For some reason this list made me feel really sad. I think this is compounded by there being pretty little new DVD content made by my favorite instructors in the past 8 years... Or the DVDs that have been made have gotten hard to find because they weren't in print very long (like Ellen Barrett). I know DVDs are considered somewhat antiquated now, but seriously, so many people struggle with rural internet connections! I don't even live that far outside of a major city and I still have crappy options. I stream YouTube on my tablet for Jessica Smith mainly, because I love her as an instructor as well as her content, and I appreciate that she is still putting out some DVDs, but it's really not my favorite. I understand why so many are going to streaming etc, but I do wish more would at least offer downloads for those of us with bad internet. Anyway. I've been busy today cooking (hubby drives a truck over the road and I cook weekly for him so he isn't stuck eating junk out of truck stops) and cleaning, actively NOT working out, because it's too easy to do too much too soon when restarting. In my down time I've been browsing old posts to see what I've missed, and kind of lamenting how much busier this forum used to be. On a positive note, I did notice that the newest member joined today! Maybe some regular lurkers will even come out and say hi.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 08:14 PM  
Lorelai

Also, I have NO IDEA how that yellow icon with the exclamation point got there.

Old 01-17-22, 08:22 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for your post! I miss a lot of members who no longer post also. I am still wearing the incredibly soft socks (10 years later!) I received from Glamgal in the holiday gift exchange, and I was wondering how she is doing.

I wish old member would pop.back in.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 09:40 PM  
rhbrand

I do often wonder why some people stopped posting.
I know a couple stopped cause they went on to other workouts and stopped doing dvd/streaming style workouts, hitting the gym etc. They just felt they now don't have anything really to say here cause they don't use dvds anymore.
Old 01-18-22, 08:50 AM  
donellda

Hi Laura. I have been a member for several years but have never really been a big poster. I have worked out with DVDs for many years and I come here for new ideas. There was a period of 2 to 3 years that I did not come here at all because of things going on in my life. I had a granddaughter who developed a rare childhood cancer which took her life and then my father, who had also been ill at the same time, passed away shortly after. If I did work out it was usually a short 15 minute workout. Life gets in the way.

I am back to doing my workouts but I am not fond of streaming workouts and finding new workouts on DVD is getting more difficult. I am looking forward to new Jessica Smith workouts when they are released. I occasionally will do a Youtube workout but I really do prefer workouts by DVD. I have been going back to some of my older DVDs but I am now in the "senior" years and need to be gentler on my body. Take care
Old 01-18-22, 09:47 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you for your post! I miss a lot of members who no longer post also. I am still wearing the incredibly soft socks (10 years later!) I received from Glamgal in the holiday gift exchange, and I was wondering how she is doing.

I wish old member would pop.back in.
It's hard to know sometimes what happened because unlike the introduction thread, there isn't a farewell thread. I'm a little surprised not to see a bit if a resurgence of video fitness popularity with all that's been happening in the world, but maybe streaming/Zoom has taken its place for many (who have halfway decent internet anyway!). I remember GlamGal! I always liked reading her posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I do often wonder why some people stopped posting.
I know a couple stopped cause they went on to other workouts and stopped doing dvd/streaming style workouts, hitting the gym etc. They just felt they now don't have anything really to say here cause they don't use dvds anymore.
That's definitely valid! I'm guilty of disappearing from VF when "life happened."

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellda View Post
Hi Laura. I have been a member for several years but have never really been a big poster. I have worked out with DVDs for many years and I come here for new ideas. There was a period of 2 to 3 years that I did not come here at all because of things going on in my life. I had a granddaughter who developed a rare childhood cancer which took her life and then my father, who had also been ill at the same time, passed away shortly after. If I did work out it was usually a short 15 minute workout. Life gets in the way.

I am back to doing my workouts but I am not fond of streaming workouts and finding new workouts on DVD is getting more difficult. I am looking forward to new Jessica Smith workouts when they are released. I occasionally will do a Youtube workout but I really do prefer workouts by DVD. I have been going back to some of my older DVDs but I am now in the "senior" years and need to be gentler on my body. Take care
Hi Donna! Thank you for posting! I'm so sorry to hear about your granddaughter, that's heartbreaking. I love Jessica's YouTube workouts. At one time I had downloaded and put several on DVD but over a few moves, they've disappeared. But perhaps I'll be able to do it again at some point. I really dislike using the tablet, although I do appreciate its portability. I've always been more motivated by "feel good" fitness so instructor like Ellen Barrett have always appealed to me.

As an aside, I noticed several members with a last visit date of N/A vs a concrete date (some very recent and others very much not recent). What does that mean?

Old 01-18-22, 10:02 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It's always hard when things change. It's the one constant, though, that things will evolve.

With fitness, though, it's a tough industry. It seems that taking care of ourselves often is last on the priority list. We all know about lives changing and suddenly you're dealing with children growing older, getting married, caring for elderly parents, you go back to work, health issues, etc. etc. Anything has the potential to derail us. The more you're away, the more you don't do it.

And, yes, streaming has changed things but still I think that people could discuss favorite platforms or YouTube channels.

Also, for those of us that have been around awhile...maybe we don't have as much to say anymore. We've found what works for us and don't have a lot to contribute to the conversation.

Like everything, it's complicated.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 10:11 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I know a few people left and didn't come back after focusing on a career change, writing a dissertation and/or having a baby. Maybe they just fell out of the habit

I also noticed a few exoduses back in the day when some hoopla or other was always exploding and threads were being locked.

When I see the birthday of a former VF'er I always wonder what they're up to.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 10:17 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
It's always hard when things change. It's the one constant, though, that things will evolve.

With fitness, though, it's a tough industry. It seems that taking care of ourselves often is last on the priority list. We all know about lives changing and suddenly you're dealing with children growing older, getting married, caring for elderly parents, you go back to work, health issues, etc. etc. Anything has the potential to derail us. The more you're away, the more you don't do it.

And, yes, streaming has changed things but still I think that people could discuss favorite platforms or YouTube channels.

Also, for those of us that have been around awhile...maybe we don't have as much to say anymore. We've found what works for us and don't have a lot to contribute to the conversation.

Like everything, it's complicated.
For sure. I think everyone has something valuable to add to the conversation. I'd love to hear about other platforms simply because beyond YouTube and some individual instructor sites, I'm pretty ignorant about the options.

I've been wondering if the younger people (my generation included) are simply on other social media platforms and have sort of forgotten about forums like this. I followed a few when I was younger and I'm pretty sure this is the only one that has a decent amount of activity, or is still in existence at all. I've wondered if Facebook groups and whatnot are where people look for this kind of community. I'm guilty of doing that. I've considered getting rid of Facebook, but I have some groups I really like, plus I admin one as well. I haven't wanted to give that up, even though I'm generally pretty disgusted with Facebook.

Old 01-18-22, 10:26 AM  
Leonana

I’m similar to you regarding Facebook. I have a few groups I like to participate in.

I think older people have gone to Facebook and the younger to Tik Tok and Snapchat. But I like the forum posting, Facebook is harder for me to keep track of.

Tags
abandonware, dvds vs streaming, vf activity