Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-12, 09:00 PM  
bfit

OT: weight loss in cat - so worried

I apologize if I've overused the OT feature, but you were all so helpful 2-3 years ago when my previous cat had cancer that I'd like to turn to you again with another cat issue. After Brutus died we adopted an older female cat who desperately needed a home, and she's about 12 1/2 years old now. We told ourselves that she might not be with us for long, but we thought we could live with it because we felt so good giving an older cat a home. Now she has a health problem of some kind, and I'm just devastated. I thought that over the past few weeks she seemed thinner, but her eating, drinking, and behavior was all the same so I thought maybe I was imagining it. Today, I weighed her, and she's lost at least 1 to 1/2 pounds, and she only weighs 10 pounds to start with. Weight loss was the first sign of the long road with cancer that we experienced with Brutus, and I don't know how I can go through that again. I do have a vet appointment for tomorrow morning. I guess I'd appreciate hearing about any relevant experiences, but mostly, thanks for listening.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:12 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

(((bfit))) You'll know more tomorrow after her appt.

Fatso lost a lot of weight a handful of years ago. When I took him to the vet he only weighed 9 lbs. He's a big boy and I was completely devastated. I had him shaved and he was all bones. It turned out that he had IBS. He went through a round of prednisone and Valium to help with his appetite. He is once again a healthy boy.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:16 PM  
cyparris

I'm really sorry about your cat. I'm glad you are going to the Vet and hope that the weight loss is not cancer related and something that can be treated. I've lost several cats to cancer, the most recent was a couple of years ago and we loved that cat as though he was our baby. We tried everything, three surgeries, chemo, radiation, and the cancer kept coming back until we felt we couldn't put him through anymore. The weight loss could be caused by several things that can be treated and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it isn't anything serious.
cyparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:22 PM  
Lula

I hope your cat is all right, and am glad you will see the vet soon. Weight loss can indicate many things. In my cat last year it was kidney disease, which was quite advanced. Happily, she has responded well to treatment and is doing very well a year on.

You're doing the right thing getting kitty checked.

Best wishes,
Old 05-22-12, 09:22 PM  
buttons11

oh bfit hugs to you

no matter how long you've had your furry one the luv is the same

and having gone through devastating health issues before with Brutus I'm sure your heart sank w/the thought of this now

let us know tomorrow what happens at the vet

it could be any number of things so try to hold on til you know what you are up against...I'll be sending warm healthy vibes to you & your sweet kiki
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:23 PM  
bfls

If she is eating the same amount as before but still getting thinner, my first guess would be she has worms. This is easily treated.

If you just want to boost her immune system you can give her lysine. One of my cats used to have recurrent upper respiratory tract infections. Now I crush a 250mg tablet and mix it with his wet food morning and evening and so far he's stayed healthy (and eats like a horse).

I remember reading somewhere that it was important not to give a cat lysine dry but can't find the webpage again. It is easier to mix it with food anyway. Apparently you can also get lysine treats specifically for cats, but I just buy the tablets for humans.

Best of luck with your cat.

Barbara
bfls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:28 PM  
andtckrtoo

No advice, but I am anxious to hear what the vet has to say. I also wanted to thank you for giving this sweet girl a loving home. I'm sure she knows she is loved and very much wanted.
Old 05-22-12, 10:24 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

***hugs***
my two older kitties both started dropping weight

turned out it was an overactive thyroid problem

It took over a year to stabilize them with meds but now they're both back up to fighting weight

keep us updated
Old 05-22-12, 10:42 PM  
bfit

Thanks to everyone who has replied with your kind thoughts. I hope this isn't too close to dinner time for anyone, but in response to the suggestion about worms I just went and looked at her latest "poop sample". I know this is what the vet uses to look for worms, and I thought I'd see what I could see myself. There are some little white blobs in it - really small, sort of like soggy rice. Could those be worms? If so, how do they cause weight loss? I'm not sure I even want to think about it . . .
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 10:45 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

that does sound like worms.

fortunately, in my experience, its easy to take care of and recovery is pretty quick

and ooooh yeah it can cause weight loss