Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-22, 05:52 PM  
carly

Wake-up Light Alarm Clock?

Has anyone used a wake-up light alarm clock? Pros, Cons, model? I can’t get up in the morning no matter how much sleep I get and I have become the master of the snooze button. My house is very dark due to a strong tree canopy. I need to find some way to reset my internal clock! Thanks for any thoughts.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 05:56 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

One trick (which you may have already tried) is to put your alarm clock, or even two of them across the room so you have to get up to shut it or them off.
Old 09-28-22, 06:50 PM  
Vantreesta

I do use a sunrise alarm clock. Like you, I never want to get up in the morning. It used to help me but I still needed the jingle jangle harsh alarm sound as well bc I sleep so hard that just light won't wake me. Unfortunately now nothing is helping. It's a good thing I'm not working bc some days I sleep through 5 different alarms (including one across the room).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 06:56 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I’ve used one years and it’s one of the single best purchases I’ve ever made. Like you, I have a very hard time waking up when it’s dark outside and waking up by light makes a difference. Mine has a full spectrum bulb, but it’s so old, I’m glad I have an extra, because I’m not sure they offer them anymore. Even so, after 30 years, I still haven’t replaced the original bulb and it works like a charm. This looks like the model I have: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m23501948566/

I remember paying about $150 for it, which was a ridiculous amount of money at the time, but I was desperate for anything that would help on those darn winter mornings and “wake up” alarms were a newer concept.

They’re really common now and relatively inexpensive, but if it were me, I’d pay to get something that is as close to morning light as possible (e.g., emphasis on infrared or at least full spectrum).

Do I still want to stay in bed and snuggle under my warm covers? 100%. But does this make it somewhat easier to open my eyes and stay awake? Yes.

Hope this helps…good luck!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 06:57 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

P.S. I still also use a noise alarm clock, but often my eyes are open due to the light by the time that sound goes off.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 07:44 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
I’ve used one years and it’s one of the single best purchases I’ve ever made. Like you, I have a very hard time waking up when it’s dark outside and waking up by light makes a difference.
I have one and I would also call it one of the best purchases I have ever made. It has made a huge difference in my mornings. I previously tried everything - waking up to favourite songs, talk radio,various nature sounds, traditional alarm sounds - nothing did the trick.

Now, I find I am always awake before the alarm sound goes off. (Although I too still want to stay snuggled under covers). I think the light gradually starts turning on about 30 minutes before the alarm time. I am generally awake by 5-10 minutes before the alarm time, unless I am unusually tired or have to get up extra early. I am also in a MUCH better mood in the mornings now.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 07:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Paula, I was just coming back to post smthg similar to your last thought. I think the light helped my mood more than actually getting out of bed.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 11:15 PM  
Demeris

I don't have a light alarm, but that's because I get up long before dawn. Well, it's long before dawn in the winter and a little bit before dawn in the summer.

When I need to be sure to get up, however, I have a very annoying alarm. It's an alarm of sheep baaing. It's shrill and it's loud, and my dog goes insane because he wants to go herd those sheep!
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-22, 08:09 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
When I need to be sure to get up, however, I have a very annoying alarm. It's an alarm of sheep baaing. It's shrill and it's loud, and my dog goes insane because he wants to go herd those sheep!
Hahaha what??? I have to know what this brand is. Tiny Bubble would go bananas for an alarm clock of baaing sheep. Heck, I would too
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-22, 12:51 PM  
warriorprincess

I think they're worth their weight in gold! But make sure you get a bright one. I've bought expensive ones that didn't get bright enough to wake me up and had to throw them out. But it's so much nicer than waking up to a jarring noise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm clock, wake up light