Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-23, 02:19 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
it isn't so much that posture that bothers me as much as the duration.
Yes, this is me exactly, I need to remind myself to modify. My problem is that I tend to forget and only realize that it didn't feel right until after the fact. I think that I may need to remove many of Jessica's strength workouts from my lists.

On a similar note, about a year or so ago, I decided to give Pahla B. another go. I did one of her longest walks. I can't remember how long it was - 5 miles or so, I believe. Unlike Leslie, Jessica, and most others, almost the entire walk was just straight walking, few changes in movements. There was barely any variety and my knees and hips didn't care for it afterwards. It may have been one of her earlier ones.

My point is that you're correct, it's not the posture or walk that's the problem, it's the duration. Not only does it feel awkward and become problematic in many cases, but it also gets really boring. No, I don't want to look down on the ground, as opposed to the screen for too long. I'm really thankful for this thread, since I thought that it was just me. I've been bearing it out, telling myself that I must do them. Now I know that I'm not alone! I need to remind myself to listen more to my body. There are plenty of other workouts and choices out there.
Old 07-21-23, 06:57 AM  
donnamp

Yes! It is a good thing there are so many choices out there.

Negin - My back improved so much when I stopped doing Pahla's workouts. It was the cardio ones, particularly the walking workouts, I think that did me in. I have since gone back and done some of her strength training, including her "push day" strength workouts and those seem ok for me. But if I do one of her cardio workouts it does flare up my back and I have no idea why b/c some other workouts I do us the same movements and they don't bother me. It is a mystery.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-23, 07:35 AM  
Negin

Donna, that is odd. I often think of you, and am so happy that your back is doing better.
Old 07-21-23, 10:22 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Negin and Carol - Agree 100%, it isn't so much that posture that bothers me as much as the duration. I have learned to just come up early if it is bothering me or if I'm feeling particularly off for some reason to eliminate it or do a variation (like seated rows, etc.). I do think Jessica over does that particular position, at least for my tastes. But, I do modify when i need to.

Sherry - I wonder if you may have a tight QL (quadratus lumborum). I know i do, my right QL is much tighter and shorter than my left - and sometimes that can set my back off. I was watching Annie Pilates Physical Therapy on You tube for suggestions. You need to strengthen the weak/tight side while also stretching it.

Here are some of her videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@AnniePilate...uery=quadratus

Do you have a hip hike on one side- like for me - my right hip is higher than my left. It varies, to almost even to significantly higher depending on what I have been doing/not doing, etc.

Donna
I did one of her stretches in this video.

https://youtu.be/PqfJuxene38

It did help some and my lower back felt better.

I checked and I think my right hip is higher. It feels tight and sore in the hip and glute. Sitting and certain sleeping positions make it worse, along with strength work. However, while I do have scoliosis, I don’t have the S curve or C curve. I slouch straight over. Exercise has corrected my posture a lot and I now stand straighter. Most of my workouts are Jessica and I get such good results-fat loss, toning, strength and posture. Plus, I have this lower back issue with other instructors. I think I’ll work on modifying and form, along with adding in stretches such as these. Thanks!

I checked out a few workouts for Lift with Cee, Justina Ercole and Fitness with PJ. They have a lot of hip hinging in their workouts. I watched the first Caroline Girvan Iron series leg workout, and the entire 41 minutes was lunges and squats. I also watch form pointers from Jason and Lauren Pak on IG, and they do a lot of hinging too. It seems to be a very common position in more advanced strength workouts. Hinging is a functional move, so I don't think it's out of line for strength workouts. However, perhaps the issue is that Jessica is putting too much hinging in her fusion workouts, and most people who use fusion are looking for a more gentle workout.
Old 07-21-23, 11:34 AM  
donnamp

Negin - than you!!! I always enjoy reading your posts!!

Sherry - I'm glad the video helped some.

Donna
Old 07-21-23, 05:05 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messe View Post
you may be in the minority, but you're not alone. I really appreciate jessica's emphasis on the posterior chain, and my posture is always better when i focus on her workouts.
👍 🌞
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-23, 09:19 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Jessica Valant just released a new back health/strength workout on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sacN...aValantPilates.

Carol
I had missed this. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.
Old 07-21-23, 09:28 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
You may be in the minority, but you're not alone. I really appreciate Jessica's emphasis on the posterior chain, and my posture is always better when I focus on her workouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
����
Me three! I have to modify a bit, but Jessica’s workouts are still my favorite. My posture has improved a lot over the years.
Old 07-22-23, 07:25 AM  
donnamp

Well...i jinxed myself by saying my back has been really good lately - I'm having a back pain flare the likes of which I haven't had a in years. Normally my back pain is truly more "hip" pain - but this is definitely lower back pain.

I don't know for sure what caused it - I noticed when I woke up yesterday my back was very tight - and it got worse during the day.

If I were to guess on the cause, I'd say it was Ellen's One and Done - there is one move at the end where she has you hold a bridge pose for a fairly long period of time. I think what happened was my glutes/hamstrings fatigued and my lower back muscles took over. I think this was the move b/c I had a similar thing happen to me once before with a Margaret Richard workout. Next time I do this workout, I'm modifying this last section!

I think this goes to show that any move, if over done can cause injury. Normally bridges are great for me - but I think this was too much, particularly holding it for so long. I think "over done", "too much" etc is subjective - another person could have done this workout w/out a problem.

Not every workout by every instructor is going to work for every one. And I think we just have to be mindful and modify and/or skip the workouts that don't work for us. It doesn't mean the workout is bad or the instructor is bad - but we are all different and have different needs and tolerance for certain things.

So...this week is going to be a rehab week for me....

I belong to Jessica Valant Pilates Unlimited and she has a back health calendar, I think I will follow that until it settles.

Donna
Old 07-22-23, 07:55 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Well...i jinxed myself by saying my back has been really good lately - I'm having a back pain flare the likes of which I haven't had a in years. Normally my back pain is truly more "hip" pain - but this is definitely lower back pain.

I don't know for sure what caused it - I noticed when I woke up yesterday my back was very tight - and it got worse during the day.

If I were to guess on the cause, I'd say it was Ellen's One and Done - there is one move at the end where she has you hold a bridge pose for a fairly long period of time. I think what happened was my glutes/hamstrings fatigued and my lower back muscles took over. I think this was the move b/c I had a similar thing happen to me once before with a Margaret Richard workout. Next time I do this workout, I'm modifying this last section!

I think this goes to show that any move, if over done can cause injury. Normally bridges are great for me - but I think this was too much, particularly holding it for so long. I think "over done", "too much" etc is subjective - another person could have done this workout w/out a problem.

Not every workout by every instructor is going to work for every one. And I think we just have to be mindful and modify and/or skip the workouts that don't work for us. It doesn't mean the workout is bad or the instructor is bad - but we are all different and have different needs and tolerance for certain things.

So...this week is going to be a rehab week for me....

I belong to Jessica Valant Pilates Unlimited and she has a back health calendar, I think I will follow that until it settles.

Donna
Ouch, Donna! I'm sorry about that. Yes, JVP's back calendar is probably a good one for you right now - or perhaps her back pain/strength playlist.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip hinge, jessica smith