Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-08, 11:22 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Wendy - any Keen's in particular that you recommend? Thanks!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 11:59 AM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Walsh
Wendy - any Keen's in particular that you recommend? Thanks!
I love them all
http://www.zappos.com/n/multi_view.c...&ref=multi-pic

I use Zappos.com because I can try them on and wear them around the house for several days to see if I really like them. Sierratradingpost.com sometimes has the styles I like for a lot less--these shoes are pretty expensive, but worth it IMO.

I should mention that my feet get pretty hot (and smelly) in the enclosed sandals, but I love them so much I don't care! The clogs were my first pair, and what made me a Keen fan.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 01:17 PM  
videofit

I am always looking for a good, yet attractive, walking sandal. Would those pink ones be too floppy for long distances, do you think? They're very cute. The orchid color ones would work, but they look like every other hideous walking sandal. With advances in technology, you'd think they could come up with a sleek walking sandal these days.
Old 05-18-08, 07:08 PM  
Soapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4
Thanks guys for all the replies so far. I might be jumping to conclusions and just might have a pulled tendon or something but after fighting with hip bursitis for over 6 months last year I was wanting to get on top of this before it became a bad problem. I wear NB 854's and I love them but they are heavy for step and kickboxing so I bought a running shoe and it seems like in no time the support was gone so I do need to buy some new 854's for my walking and everyday(I get to wear jeans and tennies at work)but I need to find some aerobic shoes that have support in the ball and I am going to look into the inserts. A podiatrist is a day off of work and 4 hour drive each time so I will go that route if needed but if I can prevent it from becoming too much of a problem I would like to try other alternatives first. Thanks again.

Chris
Try Dr. Scholl's gel inserts in your aerobic and everyday shoes. Make sure that the shoes have enough room to move your toes and that they don't apply pressure on top of your foot. Take the inserts with you when you buy shoes. If you can, stay away from high impact until the pain goes away. It may just be a pinched nerve.

If you can, don't wear the same pair of shoes everyday. Alternate between 2 or more pairs for few weeks.
Soapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 07:13 PM  
Soapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyzan
I'm not Chris, but I have a question fro you, Karen. How do you add metatarsal support to shoes in which you can't or don't wear the orthotics? Is the metatarsal support an OTC product you buy? I've been experimenting with this, as I seem to have a longer second metatarsal in my left foot, but not a neuroma from it. The moleskin suggestion on that link above seems to be working, but I'm curious about your supports, too.

Thanks,
Amy
For Morton's foot, make sure that the support stays under the first metatarsal and doesn't reach the second. This means that you can't put the support under the ball of the foot. Morton's foot and Morton's neuroma are 2 different unrelated conditions.
Old 05-18-08, 07:20 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Morton's Neuroma is, strictly speaking, a pinched nerve. The nerve gets pinched between either the 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th metatarsals.
Old 05-18-08, 07:31 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmaker
For Morton's foot, make sure that the support stays under the first metatarsal and doesn't reach the second. This means that you can't put the support under the ball of the foot. Morton's foot and Morton's neuroma are 2 different unrelated conditions.
So far just the moleskin plus wearing arch support (or Keens, high profile Birks, NB 1121) seems to be enough. One wouldn't think a little moleskin pad could make much difference but it seems to thus far.

My understanding is that people with Morton's foot are more prone to neuromas, because of the underlying structural issues. Maybe I've got that wrong?

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 08:07 AM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
Would those pink ones be too floppy for long distances, do you think? They're very cute. The orchid color ones would work, but they look like every other hideous walking sandal. With advances in technology, you'd think they could come up with a sleek walking sandal these days.
Keen's are definitely clunky,but that's part of what I like about them Love that toe guard--they have saved me on many a hike from stubbed toes.
I have the pink ones (Bali) in orange and they are too floppy for long distances. Occasionally on my lunch break I'll take a brisk walk, and if I happen to be wearing my Balis that day they're fine, but I'd chose the other style (Venice) over them if I had the choice.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 12:39 AM  
Soapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyzan
So far just the moleskin plus wearing arch support (or Keens, high profile Birks, NB 1121) seems to be enough. One wouldn't think a little moleskin pad could make much difference but it seems to thus far.

My understanding is that people with Morton's foot are more prone to neuromas, because of the underlying structural issues. Maybe I've got that wrong?

Amy
I haven't seen anything linking Morton's foot and Morton's neuroma but I would imagine wearing high heels on a regular basis may predispose people with Morton's foot to a lot of problems.

There is very little information about Morton's foot. I found out I had it when I started running again and noticed that my feet were hyperpronating (ankles caving in). I did some research and found out about Morton's foot. The primary symptoms are back pain and poor posture because the body tilts forward and rounds the back to compensate for the instability. With time, the ankles and knees cave in, the arches in the feet collapse, and the hips start having problems. The doctor that described Morton's foot is working now in Europe and has designed special shoe inserts which appear to be the only remedy available.

A lot of what I do in my exercise program seem to have helped to compensate for it unknowingly. I workout barefoot (including plyometrics) and focus on stabilizing my knee and ankles during any activity (keeping knees above ankles and tracking with the toes with little to no forward movement). I avoid heavily engineered shoes and run in Easy Spirit walking shoes. It is the only pair of shoes that I can run in after spending a small fortune on running shoes. I work on strengthening my feet using bands to keep the arches strong. I avoid ab workouts that focus too much on contracting the ab muscles and prefer movement that put the core muscles under tension while mostly stretched. The abs muscles are anchored into the chest muscles and tend to pull the entire body forward when shortened which is the last thing that I need. I also do routine work to strengthen the back to avoid back pain.

I wish I had more information for you but these are the things that worked for me. And I tossed my birks last year (worst shoes for me) and I avoid high heels as much as possible. I avoid arch support in general (I have normal arches) and rotate shoes on a daily basis to force the feet to adjust. You have to figure out by trial and error what works for your feet based on their overall stucture. You have to keep in mind that you need to strengthen your back, hips, knees, and feet to avoid problems, more so than a person with normal feet.
Old 05-20-08, 05:48 PM  
TamiT

Have you ever heard of Chung Shi shoes? Although I don't suffer with Morton's Neuroma, I do have bunions and they've really helped me get through long days on my feet (I work in a hospital). They're only available at Foot Solutions but they really took the time to help me get the right fit for my foot (and without being pushy) I didn't purchase them right away (they cost over $200.00) but once I saved enough money to give myself a gift, I think they're well worth every penny. They also help my lower back. They're not just negative heel shoes either. Hard to describe but worth the effort to at least try a pair on at your local Foot Solutions store.

I like my Chung Shi shoes even better than MBT's!

Tam
TamiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inserts, insoles, orthotics, sneakers, workout shoes