Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-13, 04:00 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Can you walk the "run" leg of a sprint triathlon?

Hi All,

I've always wanted to do a sprint triathlon (never done anything like it and want a new challenge). However, due to newly diagnosed lower back arthritis my PT says I shouldn't run. I haven't run in years and don't particularly love it anyway, but I have power walked 1/2 marathons! Can I power walk the 5K part of a sprint triathlon or are there rules/norms that either disallow or seriously discourage this?

Thanks for any feedback! I know there are triathletes in our midst.

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 10:33 AM  
bfit

I think it depends on how "competitive" the triathlon is. I've done two shorter triathlons, and both were really not designed for serious triathletes. There were people walking during the run, doing the breast stroke for the swim, etc. In fact, in one of them I alternated walking and running during the run because I was just getting over an injury and didn't want to reinjure myself. Is there any way to find out on their website or from previous participants what this particular triathlon is like? Or can you call the organizer and ask them a few questions? Even if it turns out to be a more competitive event I don't think there's anything wrong with walking, but you might not have as much fun if you're the only one walking.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 11:06 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I think it depends on how "competitive" the triathlon is. I've done two shorter triathlons, and both were really not designed for serious triathletes. There were people walking during the run, doing the breast stroke for the swim, etc. In fact, in one of them I alternated walking and running during the run because I was just getting over an injury and didn't want to reinjure myself. Is there any way to find out on their website or from previous participants what this particular triathlon is like? Or can you call the organizer and ask them a few questions? Even if it turns out to be a more competitive event I don't think there's anything wrong with walking, but you might not have as much fun if you're the only one walking.
Thanks, that's an excellent point! I'll look for those friendly to beginners (and middle aged women with arthritis ).

Ronnee
Old 07-19-13, 12:37 PM  
mspina

You can absolutely walk. In EVERY tri I've ever raced (some with extremely competitive athletes participating), there was a huge range of abilities present. Yes, there are some races specifically geared toward beginners, or that have first timer waves, which you might feel more comfortable with, but it's not necessary to go that way if you can't find one near you.

Triathlon is an incredibly welcoming sport - you will have a ball!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 12:38 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

The races I've done (all runs, no triathlons or anything) all give a time limit within which you must finish. You can do whatever you want within that time, so that might be the only restriction for your race.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 12:40 PM  
shaka02

Yes, of course you can!

Another option is to form a team and have another person take the run portion of the race.

It is your race, enjoy the challenge.

/Deb
shaka02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 03:34 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone! I guess I have no excuse now . Just have to find the right one and get my head into what it would take. I don't own a road bike and I haven't swam laps in years! Any tips on getting started? Good Web sites?

Thanks!

Ronnee
Old 07-19-13, 03:41 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnee View Post
Thanks everyone! I guess I have no excuse now . Just have to find the right one and get my head into what it would take. I don't own a road bike and I haven't swam laps in years! Any tips on getting started? Good Web sites?

Thanks!

Ronnee
Do you own a mountain or hybrid? There are always first timers riding non-road bikes!

I'll pull together some starter resources for you and get back to you soon.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 04:15 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Do you own a mountain or hybrid? There are always first timers riding non-road bikes!

I'll pull together some starter resources for you and get back to you soon.

I do so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help! I just found 2 super sprints in my part of the world that take place at the end of the year (I'm in San Diego so it's not too crazy!). One of those might be a good start just to test out the waters (literally and figuratively). Then there's a sprint one in the Spring that looks nice.

Ronnee
Old 07-19-13, 05:59 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Ronnee -- DH is part of the tri club here in San Diego, and he says it is just great. They have lots of useful training events, which are mostly free, and it's a good group of people. He says that at every sprint triathlon he's seen there have been lots of people walking.

If you want more info, you can pm me.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
triathlon