Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-15, 09:42 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

rowing. that's what i save rowing for
Old 06-26-15, 11:37 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I worry about injuries when working with weights when I'm tired. If I've been real regular with my workouts, I will skip one after a bad night. If I feel I need to get in some kind of workout, I'll do something like a Leslie, but never weights or balance type stuff. Not worth the risk.
Old 06-27-15, 12:22 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

It depends. If I am a little tired, I find that exercise usually revs me up. If I am very sleep-deprived, I find it a struggle to push through a workout. Fatigue is the number one reason for me to miss a workout.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 01:43 AM  
PrairieGem

I'm another in the "it depends" camp. What kind of tired are we talking about? I'm chronically sleep-deprived and just not a high-energy person overall, so I'm pretty much always tired. In my normal state of tiredness, yes, I will work out at any level.

OTOH, if we're talking a lengthy period of chronic stress, exhaustion, and overwork (or recovering from illness)... then, no. I take it easy. I have to. When I was younger I would just power through, but (fortunately? LOL) I can't do that anymore.

On a semi-related note, I'm really starting to realize how important scheduled rests are, for my overall health. I'm self-employed, and when I'm under contract my stress and busyness are pretty intense--but limited, only lasting for a few months at a time. The last few years, though, I've been entirely freelance, so I'm working all the time--or if I'm not working, I feel like I *should* be working. My body and mind really MISS those built-in rest periods, where I know I'm off the clock and can truly turn off. Someone recently posted about the value of taking scheduled rest weeks from working out, and it's the same thing. There is really something to be said about INTENTIONAL days off, and not just missing workouts here and there.

It's a tricky balance, to be sure. But what isn't??
Old 06-27-15, 08:31 AM  
violetblonde

I do take rest days but I often find a moderate workout that causes me to break a bit of a sweat is the BEST thing when I haven't had a good night's sleep. It energizes me, and helps me get an even deeper catch-up sleep that night. TA 30 minute MS workouts and Classical Stretch/Essentrics workouts, plus walking are my go-tos when I'm cranky.
violetblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 01:31 PM  
TinierTina

Sweat Factor has no bearing when tired - for me

I either skip a workout, or just do steady-state (regular) walking ...

Perhaps an easier cardio bellydance routine or the equivalent ... When I do a workout, I like to do one for at least 40+ minutes ... my heart does not respond well to rapid-fire intensity changes; and I would modify those audios and videos of the 30 minute wonders to such effect [repeating warm up/cooldown/slower targeted sections] solely because of that ... though cognitive issues increasingly appreciate repetition ...(Like the sign in your local diner says: "Don't complain about our coffee—We all get old and weak someday ...")

I have no memory anymore of the old-school Leslies ...

Probably purposely blocking the darn thing out ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 01:49 PM  
videofit

I will go outside for a walk in the sunshine. That often wakes me up and I might come back and then do a normal workout.

If weather is bad, I have Margaret Richard's Getting Better which is done sitting and lying on the floor.
Old 06-27-15, 04:29 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I have done it and it gets me a very good sleep afterwards. maybe that is why I am still doing it though trying to stop.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 01:55 PM  
Melissa C

I have some older, "previous-less-advanced-level" routines that I hang onto just for days that I didn't sleep well the night before. Turbo Fire 45 EZ is one of them. Or I might do one of the "Speed" workouts from T25 and modify everything along with Tania. Sometimes I just hop on the treadmill and walk a mile and a half in 30 minutes if I don't want to think, just move. Yoga would work with my early-morning energy level on those days but it would only make me want to sleep afterward.
3:27:39 on November 4, 2017
3:13:13 on November 3, 2018
Indy 500 Festival Half Marathon:3:26:27 May 4, 2019
"What? Like it's HARD?"
"Exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. they just don't."-from"Legally Blonde"

Blog: melissacooper46.wordpress.com
Melissa C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercising when tired