Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-15, 05:00 AM  
violetblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspidistra View Post
So, from my experience I see that TA gives an athletic body but it is almost boyish. The waist does not go in and the abdomen remains rounded. The Callanetics, yoga and weight lifting did give me an hourglass figure - thin, but with a waist that was proportionally way smaller than the hips. So maybe something in the TA method overtrains the ab muscles. I still don't know to this day. Because I love doing her method and it leans down the legs and hips so well, I am not going to give it up.
Super interesting! TA gives me a lean, toned, but not bulky look but I have to agree that at least for me the results are mostly around the legs/butt/arms than waist. I'm starting to alternate Essentrics TV with TA livestreaming, check back for results in a month or so!
violetblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 05:36 AM  
mandie123

I'am going to add some pulses in also and try to come up with a workout/rotation.Weight lifting,I'am hesitant to do as I already have broad shoulders and don't want that area to get any larger! I do have some hamelin,now to just work everything in!
Old 06-26-15, 10:59 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

http://worlddancenewyork.com/collect...-with-shahrzad

is a thing of awesome for the waist

decent instruction.

I'll do a real review on my body beast break

just to add....
chest moves are the only thing that gives me that vertical line down my torso
Old 06-26-15, 12:21 PM  
kalliope999

Interesting observations about the side bends & pulses, and also about TA's ab work, everyone! Both times I tried rotations of Meta, I eventually stopped doing the ab sections for similar reasons. Luckily, it's easy to skip those parts and sub the ab work one prefers.

I think I had Callanetics Evolution at some point, but must have traded or sold it. I think I only did it once or twice, and it just seemed like no fun at all. I have an unopened original Callanetics ("10 Years Younger in 10 Hours") -- if I wanted to try it again, should I go ahead and open this one, or buy one of the newer releases again?

Since HDM is maybe similar, does anyone have a particular sample workout of his on YouTube that you'd recommend that shows his approach for abs?

CS/Essentrics has some side bending moves in the mix, which might be why some of us do well with it also.
Old 06-26-15, 03:33 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
I think I had Callanetics Evolution at some point, but must have traded or sold it. I think I only did it once or twice, and it just seemed like no fun at all. I have an unopened original Callanetics ("10 Years Younger in 10 Hours") -- if I wanted to try it again, should I go ahead and open this one, or buy one of the newer releases again?
Callanetics Evolution had some changes in form, but lots of people still do the original Callanetics without problems. You could check out Sandra Hanna's new stuff. I've never done any of it, but I heard she has made some more changes to the system. I think she does some sort of streaming workouts.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 03:48 PM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Callanetics Evolution had some changes in form, but lots of people still do the original Callanetics without problems. You could check out Sandra Hanna's new stuff. I've never done any of it, but I heard she has made some more changes to the system. I think she does some sort of streaming workouts.
Thanks for your thoughts on it, and the info! I'll be sure to check out Sandra Hanna's stuff before deciding.
Old 06-26-15, 04:03 PM  
BunnyHop

Give the original 10/10 a try before you get spendy on anything else.

I'm not a fan of the newer Callanetics, but really enjoy the older ones when I can make myself do them. (I've been doing more KCM than anything else lately, gotta add some slower stuff in the mix!)

The thing that bugged me about the newer Callanetics dvds is that they did a lot of talking, but not a lot of explaining about what they were doing. In order to figure out what to do you had to just sit there and watch the three different people doing variations. The only instruction I found had to do with Sandra's theories, not with technical pointers on form. Kinda turned me off her stuff.

(Not that I lack for Callanetics info, at one point I kinda binged and bought all the older dvds (except the super one) and a few of the books. With all that, you do get form pointers. )
Old 06-27-15, 02:03 PM  
videofit

Jillian Michaels says she never works her obliques because she becomes boxy. So I stopped doing those exercises although occasionally will follow along on a workout if I'm in the mood just for variety. I stick to planks mostly.

Ever since my physical therapist told me I have lordosis (swayback) and said to try to remember to consciously tuck my pelvis under when I walk, it has strengthened my abs as well. Just doing that while going for a long walk is almost like an ab workout. I really have to focus.
Old 06-27-15, 02:17 PM  
Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Jillian Michaels says she never works her obliques because she becomes boxy. So I stopped doing those exercises although occasionally will follow along on a workout if I'm in the mood just for variety. I stick to planks mostly.

Ever since my physical therapist told me I have lordosis (swayback) and said to try to remember to consciously tuck my pelvis under when I walk, it has strengthened my abs as well. Just doing that while going for a long walk is almost like an ab workout. I really have to focus.
This makes sense, I think that's why so many people have had success with lotte berke (ypu're tucked for many of the exercises) and to a lesser extent with callanetics.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 02:24 PM  
Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspidistra View Post
Just in case it helps, here is my experience. I have pics of my progress for the last several years. At my lowest weight in 2009, 127 lbs. (I am 5'8"), I had the tiny waist. I believe at the smallest it was 25 1/2 inches. Back then I did yoga, Callanetics and weight lifting, 5, 7 and 10 lbs. I was a size zero to two. In time I gained weight back.

In 2014 I lost weight using the TA method. I went down to 133 lbs. and I was as thin as a rail, but with an athletic, staight up and down figure. It bothered me that all her standing abs and mat abs did not give me the small waist. I started doing other workouts and injured my neck which wrecked my progress and again I gained the weight back. I am still struggling to do a daily workout. Without it, I gain weight, no matter how strict my diet.

So, from my experience I see that TA gives an athletic body but it is almost boyish. The waist does not go in and the abdomen remains rounded. The Callanetics, yoga and weight lifting did give me an hourglass figure - thin, but with a waist that was proportionally way smaller than the hips. So maybe something in the TA method overtrains the ab muscles. I still don't know to this day. Because I love doing her method and it leans down the legs and hips so well, I am not going to give it up.

One of the things both yoga and Callanetics have in common is the side bends from the waist. In yoga you hold it; in Callanetics you do small pulses. TA does not have these and so I plan to incorporate these in my next go-round with TA's metamorphosis, mat work and others that I love.
I totally agree with this. I find if the TA workout is one mostly on the hands and knees then I have the results you mention above, teen meta my apple body type shrank but became more apple I like mat though, I lost in my waist. I stay away from her total hands and knees dvds.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
esther gokhale, pretzel, waist, waist exercises, waist workout