Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 04-19-05, 10:15 AM  
gypsygirl64

Yoga Blankets, etc.

Background: I have been doing advanced Pilates on a regular basis for some time. I do roll-overs (similar to plow) and control balance (similar to shoulder stand) on a regular basis and they do not "hurt" my neck - my neck seems rather stretched out when I am done.

I am now getting more and more into yoga. Right now I am not doing any videos with inversions but plan on getting to that point in the near future. My current library includes: Rodney Yee, Rainbeau Mars, Eion Finn (that I am using) - I have Yoga Shaki - but am "saving" that until I get confident with the others. I also have Brian Kest & Beryl Bender Birch's Power Yoga (preview but haven't used yet). Also, David Swenson's workouts on their way to my house. So I haven't really picked a "style" that works for me yet (Power Yoga or Iyengar, etc.).

Questions:
1) Are blankets necessary for shoulder stands? I can do one but my body is not totally straight yet - will a blanket help me?

2) Where is the best place to get yoga blankets? I have looked on-line - places like yogaprops.com and abc-of-yoga.com but they have different TYPES: mexican, wool, etc. I am confused.

3) Which type is the most recommended: mexican, wool or ???? What is a "normal" price? I don't need the deepest discount but I don't want to pay top dollar for something if it is not necessary.

4) Bolsters, how often do you use them? They look cool and I think I would fall in love with one and never get off it. (Stretching my back...) Are they necessary for an intermediate person?

I have bricks and a strap with metal rings...

Is there anything else that is a "must have"?

TIA,
Laura

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 10:56 AM  
cmiyachi

Hi,

I practiced shoulder stand for years without a blanket but I find using two Mexican blankets much more comfortable. For longer shoulderstand holds, I wouldn't be without it. For shorter holds that don't allow for the set up (you can always pause thouhg), I don't bother. I would recommend for a beginner though to use the blankets.

I own 3 mexican blankets and use them for bolsters - I don't own any bolsters. But I think they are a great investment for relaxation. A lot of people here swear by them.

I've been very happy with the Mexican blankets that I got from yoga props (the site you mention) but I use the wool blankets at my class. They are very thick which is useful. However, I find the wool sometimes irritates my eyes. The wool blankets are thicker than the Mexican blankets.

HTH,

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 12:15 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I picked up a couple of Mexican blankies at one of my yoga studios for $15.00 each. My shoulderstand is much more solid when I use them. There are differing opinions on whether you "should" use blankets and there's also variance due to anatomy. Evidently John Friend is saying these days that if your neck retains its natural curve you don't need the blankets.

I don't have a bolster, although I'd like one. I substitute like Chris does.

Some studios use wool blankets and some use the Mexican numbers and some use a combination. One thing to consider is the fact that many people are allergic or sensitive to wool -- I start to itch just looking at wool. However, I find wool blankets to be much firmer than cotton etc.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 02:48 PM  
gypsygirl64

Thanks Chris & Sharon,
I think I will get three Mexican from Yogaprops.com. The prices seemed reasonable and they like cats. What more can one ask for?

I think I will hold off on the bolster for right now, I really don't have a place to put it anyway.
Thanks again,
Laura

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote