Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-11, 11:11 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Thank you, Cali.

It's still pretty expensive for a very basic set. But then again, if you use the workouts all the time, then it will be worth every penny you paid for it.
just want to add (cuz i don't want to be accused of turning it into a lovefest... several of my initial posts were about the cost of RKS until someone broke it down for me: 16 workouts... so that comes to 7.50 per workout (less if you add in the 10% discount). compare that to most other KB workouts and it's actually cheaper! AOS you get one for $50, lauren's you do get 2 or 3 for your $40... amy's new ones are probably going to sell for $20 (maybe on sale for $15? katami's are $20 and never on sale! even bob's and jillian's mass produced ones are more than that (i paid $10 for bob's i think?)

ok... i'm outie!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 11:18 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
just want to add (cuz i don't want to be accused of turning it into a lovefest... several of my initial posts were about the cost of RKS until someone broke it down for me: 16 workouts... so that comes to 7.50 per workout (less if you add in the 10% discount). compare that to most other KB workouts and it's actually cheaper! AOS you get one for $50, lauren's you do get 2 or 3 for your $40... amy's new ones are probably going to sell for $20 (maybe on sale for $15? katami's are $20 and never on sale! even bob's and jillian's mass produced ones are more than that (i paid $10 for bob's i think?)

ok... i'm outie!

The website claims that the workouts are 30 minutes in length. How many workouts are actually 30 minutes in length though? A lot of these workouts seem to range around 10 minutes to 20 minutes. To me, that's a bit misleading.

But like I've said here many times, it doesn't matter how much someone pays for a workout. If they use it often, then it's worth every single penny one pays for it.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 11:20 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
For some reason, and despite the mega thread, the RKS set doesn't interest me. I went with Skogg.

I'm curious, why did you decide to do the RKS set before the Skogg set? I'll be very interested in your comparisons if you ever do both.

The snatches in the Skogg System give the set a serious dread factor for me. I wish he had put something less technically challenging in his introductory set.
Because RKS was gifted to me and I bought the Skogg system. I promised the person who gifted RKS to me that I would do the system.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 07-16-11, 02:30 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm back.

Pam, I'm not sure if I should continue to post on your thread or just start another thread based on my ongoing impression of this set. Let me know how you feel, K.

First, the person who gave me this set did so knowing that I would be fair in my evaluation of this set. I'm not out to dis this set or rave about this set. I along with Lorna, Anita, Martha, and a few other VFers started kettlebell training a long time ago, and I LOVE kettlebell training. But the hype over RKS does have me concerned because there is a high risk factor with kettlebells.

My concern is the lack of instruction this set has. There are many people buying this system who has never done a kettlebell workout based on Rozy's thread. But according to Rozy on the Skogg thread, the Skogg tutorial has helped her clean up her form during the swings. During workout #1, which is all swings, one of the girls kept squatting during the swings, which is wrong.

The swing is the foundation of kettlebell training. You have to build a strong foundation before proceeding. Even though I was an advanced exerciser when I started training with kettlebells, I considered myself a total beginner. For me, it took well over a year to feel comfortable enough to do a kettlebell workout. It took me even longer to do snatches and overhead squats.

Today I did workout #3. This workout clocked in at 28 minutes. It's a good drill style workout based on supersets done for 3 rounds.

Set #1
Half get ups
Goblet squats

Set #2
Suitcase deadlifts
Reverse goblet lunges

Set #3
Window wipers
Alternating leg lifts

My form issue with this workout was with the suitcase deadlifts. Like the deadlifts in workout #2, they squat during the deadlift, which is something that I don't do.

As far as warm ups and cool downs go, the same warm up and cool down is on each disc. Both are very short. For me, it's not a biggie, because I always do a longer cardio workout before my strength work. I have to be warm and the mental fog has to be lifted before I do any type of strength work.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 07-16-11, 02:40 PM  
Missiscipi

Yeah I learned my "swing" basically from Brook Benten's Butts and Guts LOL so im having a issue not going back into bad habits. Also, just wanted to note on my videos that I did them so I would be able to look at my form and make an effort to learn from my mistakes. I plan on doing a Skogg rotation later this month and hopefully ill improve even more. Also, with RKS the screen is kind of small plus im working so hard so im not really watching what they are doing....ok done babbling
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 03:50 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
I'm back.

My concern is the lack of instruction this set has. There are many people buying this system who has never done a kettlebell workout based on Rozy's thread.
I have been doing KB workouts for a while. I really like RKS but the weakest part of this system (IMHO) is the instructional DVD. I did not depend upon it at all. I utilized the skills and the techniques that I was taught by an RKS instructor, Cotter, Anthony from the AOS and Skogg's Youtube channel.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 04:35 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I have been doing KB workouts for a while. I really like RKS but the weakest part of this system (IMHO) is the instructional DVD. I did not depend upon it at all. I utilized the skills and the techniques that I was taught by an RKS instructor, Cotter, Anthony from the AOS and Skogg's Youtube channel.
I know a lot of people already had their form down.

What I'm addressing are the people who are buying this system who have never done kettlebells before. This is my main concern.

This system has you advancing pretty quickly. Tomorrow is workout #4, and it is already a time based challenge. For the experienced person, this is a non issue, but it definitely can be for a newbie.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 07-16-11, 04:54 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:

What I'm addressing are the people who are buying this system who have never done kettlebells before. This is my main concern.

This system has you advancing pretty quickly. Tomorrow is workout #4, and it is already a time based challenge. For the experienced person, this is a non issue, but it definitely can be for a newbie.
You are correct here. A lot of folk are buying this set, wanting presto, insto results, never picking up a kettlebell and my advice was to seek a certified kb trainer. Why? Because there were too many questions on how to do this, that or the other. And truly, before buying into an expensive exercise like kettlebells, you got to make sure it is for you, which is why I state spend the initial money for a training session and get the feel if this is something you will stick with. Kettlebells are not for everyone. As for DVD program, imo, Skogg has the best instruction, tutorial for a kb set out on the market. I had to clean up my snatches and go back to the tutorial because it is easy to get out of form. Many were tearing their hands up, including me, but once I went back to Steve Cotter and Skogg tutorial then I started taking my time and making sure my form for snatches were correct. Then presto, insto, no more tearing up of hands. And the only person I watch when performing RKS is Owen, I agree that the girls form is not the best.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 05:12 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
You are correct here. A lot of folk are buying this set, wanting presto, insto results, never picking up a kettlebell and my advice was to seek a certified kb trainer. Why? Because there were too many questions on how to do this, that or the other. And truly, before buying into an expensive exercise like kettlebells, you got to make sure it is for you, which is why I state spend the initial money for a training session and get the feel if this is something you will stick with. Kettlebells are not for everyone. As for DVD program, imo, Skogg has the best instruction, tutorial for a kb set out on the market. I had to clean up my snatches and go back to the tutorial because it is easy to get out of form. Many were tearing their hands up, including me, but once I went back to Steve Cotter and Skogg tutorial then I started taking my time and making sure my form for snatches were correct. Then presto, insto, no more tearing up of hands. And the only person I watch when performing RKS is Owen, I agree that the girls form is not the best.
That's very true.
I have to admit, I never even watched the tutorial of RKS. I found that Owen verbal cues are very good during the workouts, when you probably don't even watch the screen, I know I don't.
Even though the set has its fault this is the first kb program that made me do heavy volume of the same moves and I feel the benefit of it. On the other hand we can debate all day long if it is a good or bad thing to put for example a relative beginner through 30 min of snatches. So IMHO the set is not very good for beginners, only for folks who somewhat mastered at least the first thing about kettlebells and their form is good. Doing 20-30 min of swings or any other exercises with bad form can be very damaging.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 05:12 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:

In my reply, I completely understood your concern for the newbies and inexperienced. That is why I stated that the instructional DVD left much to be desired. I concur with your conclusion for the need for more thorough and better instruction in RKS.

Skogg (in 'Roots') states that even the most experienced person needs to be reminded of form and technique from time to time. I heeded that advice before doing RKS #16 (the snatch fest). I went back and reviewed Skogg's 101 instructional DVD on the snatch and reinforced to myself the techniques that I was taught by an RKS trainer.

RKS is a very good system but is best suited for those more experienced with KB technique.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doug reinhardt, kettlebell, reinhardt, reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg system