Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-01-20, 08:43 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Barefoot & On the Mat: November 2020 Check-In

Greetings and welcome to the monthly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home. It's absolutely fine if you wear shoes while working out too!

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

Back later with my workout....
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 09:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, thanks for getting us started for November!

DH & I tend to stay up late on Saturdays, so I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep last night. I might try Alchemista today.

Who saw the full hunter blue moon last night? It was gorgeous here!

Happy Sunday!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 10:10 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Flow and Yin with Donna Helm-Yost (Yin Yoga practice)

This morning I did 50 minutes of the Yin Yoga practice.

Beth, I missed the full hunter blue moon!
It is supposed to be a sunny 77 degrees F today, so a very pretty day.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 12:03 PM  
JustSandra

Hi there!

Paine, thanks for starting us off this month.

Today is my little grandniece's birthday -- she is five years old!

Last month I focused on Margaret Richard strength workouts, which I intended to supplement with additional core and stretch. That didn't exactly work out as I tended to skip over the latter. So for this month my focus will be on following one of Jessica Smith's rotations. I've chosen her 2019 Healthy For the Holidays! Besides being well-balanced, this particular rotation includes a weekly rest/active recovery day, and also a weekly "wild card" day. For the other days Jessica lists a DVD selection but also a similar YouTube workout. I'd like to do more of her YouTube stuff, so since I don't have all of the DVDs she uses this month I'll have sufficient motivation. I also plan to continue my long outdoor walks since the weather for them is perfect right now.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 03:16 PM  
Anny

Thank you, Paine, for the start. Enjoy your weather!

Sandra I like the sound of the Jessica rotation; it also gives you options to add in other workouts.

I’m thinking of doing an all Joyce rotation for November. Last week was Definition and I’m thinking that this week will be either the 12 minute workout or the College Dorm workout. Supplemented with walking where possible, of course.
Old 11-01-20, 03:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, wow, those 5 years have flown! Are you celebrating with her?

Paine, I had typed a reply to you earlier...no idea where it went, but that's how this day is going. With your beautiful day there you are likely to be able to see the moon tonight.

I am not having a good start to November! I've just had a series of frustrations all day. One is with Alchemista; I could not get it to play without interruptions. Although my wireless internet is sometimes spotty in my workout room (in the basement), I can play YouTube videos fine. There seems to be something about how Alice streams her videos that causes problems for me, as I have had issues with Shakti Warrior this past week as well (although not as bad). I might have to download the Alchemista routines in order to do them, which would be a pain.

I had mixed feelings about what I did see from the first Alchemista workout (I watched/practiced off & on for about 10 minutes). I didn't like the opening meditation voiceover with Jumana. I don't mind spiritual, but she is WAY to over-the-top for me; I much prefer Alice. When Alice picked up the routine with live instruction, I liked it better. I actually found it very similar to Shakti Warrior #5, which I did yesterday, except that it was much slower for no apparent reason.

Here was my week:

Monday
PopSugar Fitness (YT) - 30m At Home Cardio Boxing (meh)
Shakti Warrior - Lesson #2
DoYouYoga (YT) - Cool Yoga Twists (a fave)

Tuesday
TAUGHT Yoga
Shakti Warrior - Lesson #3

Wednesday
Mark Wildman (YT) - Hip Mobility to Fix Low Back Pain
Shakti Warrior - Lesson #4
David Swanson (YT) - Just Relax (@30m, another meh)

Thursday
HDM (YT) - Armatics Taster (in office)
Get Ripped & Jacked - Back, Biceps, Shoulders
Massage Therapy Kit - Shoulders (floor)

Friday
Lee Holden (YT) - Qi Gong for Deep Sleep

Saturday
Hatha yoga class
30MTF Your Best Body - Workout #1 with no legs premix
Shakti Warrior - Lesson #5

Sunday
Annie Taylor Efremsky (YT) - Kickboxing Arm Burnout (another meh - anyone seeing a pattern here? )
attempted and abandoned Alchemista
did 8 20-second sets of prisoner squats (the start of a Heather Robinson workout that I also abandoned)
Yoga with Time (YT) - Yoga for Emotional Stability (Tim saved my day!!!)

My 10-year old niece just Facetimed me...that also brightened my mood. Plus, I have 2 loaves of pumpkin apple bread in the oven!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-01-20, 03:50 PM  
cyana

Hello November! The good news....work should start slowing down some this month, which is much-needed because I'm pooped! This was the second week that I struggled mightily to get any meaningful work-outs done (gulp). I got out for a walk one morning, and it went a long way in reinforcing how important it is to get outdoors and away from the electronic devices. Oh darn, I missed the full moon last night. My November goals are more walking, yoga/Essentrics and strength training. Must focus on recovering from stiff old lady stuck at the desk syndrome!

Since I tend to think of work-related on-line meetings these days, what a nice departure that Pam and Pat got to do an on-line yoga class together.

Pat - I'm glad you're still enjoying Templesounds - that 11 minute chakra meditation is one of my favorites. That's good news on your stove. I've been wanting a freezer for several years and I guess I'll be waiting forever since those are in such high demand. Hope you get in some wonderful beach walks this month.

Beth and Pam - I'm one of those people who has to be careful with fish pose as sometimes I get a massive wave of nausea, so I tend to avoid it whenever possible. Thanks for the link to the Sherry Zak video - Beth. I'll definitely try your Spacious Spine practice.

Sandra - Happy Birthday to your grandniece today - it's hard to believe she's already five!

Linda
- I've never moved with cats. When I brought my shelter cat home we had a room set up for him. He dutifully checked it out and after about 15 minutes, went to the door as if to say "Come on guys, let's check out the rest of this joint." That was the end of him being confined to the cat room! Might your surgeon give you a pre-op referral for a consult with an occupational therapist who might be able to help you with strategies for navigating post-op life one-handed?

Paine - I'm glad you mentioned Essentrics S&S in Motion - that might be good medicine to perk me up - especially "The Birds" episode. I've found Melatonin to be one of the great mysteries of the world. I think the dosage varies tremendously from person to person and that more isn't necessarily better/more effective. My doctors have encouraged me to play around with it over the years and I switch up the dosage regularly.

Anny - Hope you and your friends had a nice outing in Barangaroo. Hooray that your sons will be coming to Sydney soon.

Carolyn - Reading about your work-outs keeps reminding me that I need to dust off some of my R/A videos! FF or Happy Hormones would be good medicine.

Sherry - I hope your headache passed. I woke up with a headache this morning that I attribute to computer neck from spending so much time in front of the computer.

Waves to Garrie - hope all is well.

Here's hoping for a good fitness month for all!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 04:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anny, sounds like you are finding rotations that work for you.

cyana, it makes me happy to hear that your busy period will be winding down. I've been getting in workouts but am still suffering from the stiff old lady stuck at the desk syndrome. Do you get nauseous from fish pose only when you do the classic version with the neck flexed backward & the top of the head on the floor? I think it is the neck constriction that can induce the nausea. My favorite way to do fish is on 2 blocks, with the 2nd block on the high end forming a "pillow" for plenty of neck support:
https://www.argentinarosadoyoga.com/...sado-Yoga-.jpg

Note: sometimes I use the back block vertically along the spine (between the shoulder blades), and sometimes I use it horizontally at the base of the shoulder blades.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-01-20, 05:41 PM  
sherry7899

Paine, thank you for starting the November check in.

Yesterday I did a half hour Body Project cardio. I never got around to yoga. This morning I did an hour NIA dance class followed by Yoga Ranger-it was a leg day practice, which I liked very much.

We did not give out candy this year. We actually stopped giving it out last year because we hardly got any kids (odd, since we have a ton near us) and we don't want to end up with leftover candy.

Today was mellow. I am getting things done around the house and doing laundry and batch cooking. I am going to go make baked potato soup and garlic bread after I post We watched our favorite husband singer/songwriter duo Pete and Maura Kennedy do their weekly concert this afternoon. They had a theme of "Day of the Witch". They tackled "Wuthering Heights" by Kate Bush, which is very ambitious! Pete is a master guitarist who played Dave Gilmour's solo from the song like it was nothing!

Beth-yes, I am really enjoying Yoga Ranger's channel. She is very soothing and calm, which is exactly what I need right now. I pretty much feel like doing all my yoga on the floor these days! I hate when streaming acts up! It totally ruins the flow of the workout, especially yoga. I have to get back to doing more of Shakti Warrior. I only did the first day so far. I don't think I will be purchasing Alice's new series unless there is a major sale.

Linda, your man is very sweet! Best wishes for your surgery. I will be thinking about you.

Cyana, I am happy that your work schedule will finally ease up. You deserve time to yourself to relax.

Pat, I hope your new stove comes in quickly and you enjoy using it.

Off to make dinner.....I'll try to be back later.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 08:39 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Paine, thanks for starting the month.

Sandra, its hard to believe your grand niece is already 5 years old. Seems like yesterday.

Anny, I should join you with the Joyce rotation. I know its a bad word around here but Joyce is the only rotation that didn't make me bulk. I gain muscle faster than I lose fat and that makes me bulk.

Beth, its always so cloudy lately I can't see the moon, the sun, or anything else up there.

cyana, I'm glad your busy season is starting to wind down. You need time for you. I probably won't be moving so Meow can stay put. The man likes coming to the mountains to rest and regroup. And I'd like to be 10 - 20 degrees warmer! Maybe we should trade houses. The hospital has joint class for orthopedic surgeries as part of pre-op. That will tell me how to get dressed and eventually showered and anything else I need to know. Like sleeping with a sling. They say to sleep in a recliner. Recliners are evil with my spine.

I did nothing today. Absolutely nothing. I didn't even get dressed. I might have to cancel surgery. Whoever takes me to surgery, and me, has to be tested for covid a few days before surgery. A few days before is Thanksgiving. If my person takes time off work the day before or the day after, she won't get paid for the holiday. I'm paying her days wages to take me to surgery. I can't afford to pay two more days. My SO will be here on the testing days but he can't take me to surgery unless they give him two days off work. They're already shorthanded. I don't see that happening. I'll wait to see what he says but I think the best option is to cancel and make ice my best friend. It already is!

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote