Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-17, 05:52 PM  
daisyduke

Heavy lifting vs lighter weights... which works for you?

So every weight lifter says you need to lift heavy weights and eat tons of protein. No cardio or little cardio necessary.

Ive been doing body beast since April and giving this method a try. Ive got some amazing muscle definition but I am not losing weight (scale is high - probably water weight from the muscle).

Anyway, I need a break from heavy lifting. . . maybe just a week or so. I'm thinking about doing Firm so I get a little strength and cardio.

Which method seems to work best for you?
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 06:07 PM  
marki64

I don't enjoy heavy weight work. I don't mind a little, but not consistently. I like lighter weights, quicker reps. Always have. I don't know if I could have benefitted through the years from heavy weight workouts, but slow and heavy type weight workouts just don't motivate me. I'm not real strong, but I guess fun beats boring for me.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 06:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I prefer low weight/high rep hands down, never have enjoyed lifting heavy. I have arthritis in my thumbs & wrists so holding heavy weights is painful for me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 06:42 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I go through phases. In July/Aug/Sept I was on Gilad and CLX kick and I did heavier weights. I loved it and it made me feel strong, but I think I've neglected to stretch adequately and I hurt my back so I backed off. Now I'm back to lighter weights/higher reps for UB and pilates with some cardio thrown in. In January, I plan to do a rotation with Jessica's new set (yet to be released) and will try to use heavier weights again. Variety is what works for me. Steady diet of one or the other - doesn't.
Old 11-12-17, 07:28 PM  
Pepper

I'm doing Chalene Extreme right now - I'm going into into the 2nd month and the really heavy short reps is REALLY working for me when little else seems to anymore!
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 07:56 PM  
Garrie A.

I do both! Alternating heavy and light weight workouts work best for me.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 08:00 PM  
LoveVA

I also do both. I'll do strength training 3 times a week, so I might do 1 heavy and 2 lighter or vice versa. I like to mix it up.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 08:14 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I guess it's how we define heavy. I've never really gone higher than 15-20 lbs per dumbbell which I consider medium (but is heavy for me). But in recent years my joints are much happier using 5-12 lbs, with more reps.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 09:08 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Old 11-12-17, 09:22 PM  
Tugger31

Depends on my goals. Heavy weights for upper body definitely makes me stronger, but aesthetically makes me feel large and lumpy. Heavy weight for lower body (for me) made my lower body feel tight and sore. I can't go too heavy b/c it always stresses my knee joints even with proper form.

Lighter weight/higher rep for upper body "debulks" my upper body, but over time my strength suffers and with even more time my muscles though deflated and look better in clothes, feel softer and I don't like that. Right now I'm embarking on a low weight/high rep rotation for upper body for 3 weeks with a one week heavy weight week and then repeating that.

For lower body I'm switching to floor work, stretching and more cardio, mostly steady state with a HiiT workout once a week or once every other week. My joints can't take the impact too often.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbbell size, weights only