Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-11, 04:38 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Oh wow, maybe I'm a combination of ectomorph and endomorph. I have a hard time building muscle but the article describing the 3 body types describes ectomorphs as having an extremely fast metabolism whereby they have trouble gaining weight and the picture showed a skeletal person! I certainly don't have a difficult time gaining weight if I don't watch my portion sizes!!
According to one book I read (might have been Ahnold's Encyclopedia of BBing), many people have combo body types! In fact IIRC the book calls the pure meso/endo/ecto types relatively less common. Personally I think trial and error is a better teacher than internet generalizations.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 05:15 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
ok thanks! to txfitmom & this link
http://www.take5moment.com/cgi/membe...dia_type=video
i believe that i'm a mesomorph
I always though more people were a combination of body types vs just one. I took the Michael Thurmond test http://www.mybodymakeover.com/blueprinting.asp and came up with endo/meso, but after watching the video, I'm an endo.
I look like an endo.

I thought high reps low weights were good for me because I carry most of my bodyfat in my hips and thighs. I'm going to try Dirt Diva's STS rotation and see what it does for me.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 05:38 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Txfitmom - thank you for all the links!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 06:13 AM  
anne

Does heavy strength and little cardio seem to improve flexibility?
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 06:55 AM  
txfitmom

I also think one can be two body types on the upper and lower body. I am much thinner on top and have no upper body strength so I tend to be more of an ectomorph in my upper body, but definitely without a doubt am an endomorph on bottom with the classic pear shape and difficulty losing fat in the thighs, hips, and butt.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 06:58 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
I always though more people were a combination of body types vs just one. I took the Michael Thurmond test http://www.mybodymakeover.com/blueprinting.asp and came up with endo/meso, but after watching the video, I'm an endo.
I look like an endo.

I thought high reps low weights were good for me because I carry most of my bodyfat in my hips and thighs. I'm going to try Dirt Diva's STS rotation and see what it does for me.
So, do you have to pay to do this? I know it said try it for six weeks but it looked like you would have to pay something.

One of the previous links indicated that lots of cardio was important for endos. For all of you that have indicated better luck with heavier weights/less cardio, what body type are you?
Old 11-03-11, 07:05 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
So, do you have to pay to do this? I know it said try it for six weeks but it looked like you would have to pay something.

One of the previous links indicated that lots of cardio was important for endos. For all of you that have indicated better luck with heavier weights/less cardio, what body type are you?
I looked all over and it looks like you have to pay, but I didn't. It was free when I took the test.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 07:05 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
I also think one can be two body types on the upper and lower body. I am much thinner on top and have no upper body strength so I tend to be more of an ectomorph in my upper body, but definitely without a doubt am an endomorph on bottom with the classic pear shape and difficulty losing fat in the thighs, hips, and butt.
ah yes, this is me too! It takes a lot of persistence, patience and consistent exercise to slim my bottom half!
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 08:55 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
Help anyone! i can never seem to figure out which body type i am (ecto, meso or endo) & it's always frustrated me. How did you guys figure it out so definitively? Maybe you can tell what i sound most like by a description:
i am short (5'2") & small framed (very small wrists & smallish calves), have never had a narrow waist, seem to be an apple or ruler shape, have a broad back & shoulders, used to wear a larger size on top than on the bottom (with age it's changing a little more). Also i weigh more than most people think, i am currently 139 in a size 8. Or any accurate websites you can direct me to are appreciated. I have googled some. TIA!
It sounds like to me you are a combo of Endo and Ecto. Endos gain muscle easily but also carry a lot of fat. The small frame comes from the Ecto. Mesos have Proportion AND the ability to gain muscle evenly- these are your hardest to find body types as most people are not evenly proportioned from top to bottom; think Hourglass. You can always have a little of both or everything, but to be mostly or all Meso, you would need to be hourglass; Same measurements for chest and hips, waist is 10-12 inches smaller than the chest & Hips and many male mesos have the same measurements for the arms and calves, unless you build up or down over what your natural physique would measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
According to one book I read (might have been Ahnold's Encyclopedia of BBing), many people have combo body types! In fact IIRC the book calls the pure meso/endo/ecto types relatively less common. Personally I think trial and error is a better teacher than internet generalizations.
Most people are combinations. I personally know I'm a meso as I fit every criteria marked (pre surgery). I have also been evaluated by Body Building Coaches and Weight Lifting Coaches.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 08:59 AM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
I always though more people were a combination of body types vs just one.
this is true. if you scroll down on the page to this link it shows a graph shaped like a triangle, people fall somewhere on that graph - sometimes closer to one of the somatypes (meso, endo, ecto). kind of like a spectrum. so you just try to find which one describes you the most.
http://www.mysomatotype.com/body-type/?page_id=58

ETA forgot the link

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy weights, strength training, sts double up, weights only