Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-20, 05:19 PM  
momofcha

I was 18 and joined the gym by my house. I ran into a friend from school and she told me about The Firm. She lent me a tape and the rest is history

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 06:41 PM  
Calistro

I used to watch my Mother work out in the late 70s with her Bullworker. Then There was the slimfast, and the PLJ drink which was a form of apple cider vinegar. I thought she was crazy, then fast forward 15 years I started going to step aerobic classes. It was only on twice a week and I thought I should do more. I then discovered the fitness video in shops and the first one was a step video by a man called darryl preston.

I then moved on to Kathy smith then discovered cathe & videofitness after trying a firm workout video from amazon and reading reviews.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 07:52 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Eleven years ago my daughter was devastated because her boyfriend dumped her. She was really depressed and I was worried about her. I thought it would be good for her if she got some exercise so I had her go with me on walks outside. It was autumn and I knew the snow would be coming soon and I didn't want to walk in the snow. I also thought she needed something more vigorous than a walk. I checked out a few gyms in our area but I didn't think I'd want to drive to a gym to workout. So I bought a couple exercise videos (Kathy Smith and Denise Austin) that my daughter and I would do at home together. If I hadn't worked out with her, she would never have worked out so we did it together. I wanted more videos so I did a google search, found this forum and became a vidiot. It wasn't long and my daughter met her future husband. She was happy and I realized I shouldn't force her to workout if she didn't want to. I was 54 at the time and thought I should continue exercising for my health. I told my daughter I was going to continue working out and she was welcome to continue on with me if she wanted but I wouldn't force her to since she was happy. She didn't want to workout anymore so I continued exercising to videos by myself and here I am today at age 65!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 08:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Lifetime had Denise Austin and Charlene Prickett and another show with a woman named Cynthia, can’t remember her last name. ESPN had Gilad, Body Shaping, Fitness Pros, Gin Miller’s Step workouts (can’t remember the actual name of her show). Exercise TV was renamed to Fit TV, I think. I could be wrong on that. I used to tape Crunch workouts from that channel I believe. Does that help?
Yes..I was muddling the two channels and the whole name change was making it worse, haha Thanks!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-20, 07:21 AM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Rocky start

I used to ditch gym class in high school (except for social dancing), but decided in college that all of my electives should be physical education. I took swimming levels 1 & 2, ballroom dance, and circuit training. I also ran and walked all over campus for health reasons, as well as getting to classes.

After college I joined a health club and worked out at 5:30 a.m. there before school started (I'm a retired music teacher). Moved, so no gym, worked with a trainer and discovered VF and video workouts. Except for when I was pregnant and when I had broken my ankle I've been consistent. Thanks to VF for introducing me to a variety of instructors such as Cathe, KC-M, and Jessica Smith. I learned how to step from watching "tapes" and now I will never stop until I fall apart, which I hope is never.
Old 11-30-20, 01:56 PM  
cailleach

In my last year in college, my housemates and I took a new year resolutions to join the local Y to take their aerobics classes. I got hooked! Eventually got into lifting weights. After graduation and moved, joined the local fitness center in the area. This was in West coast thus didn't have to worry about the winter driving. When I went back to school to get my master's in upstate New York, my exercising dropped off. Did go to fitness center but winter driving was a learning experience. I had few videos then such as Tamilee Webb and should have taken them with me.

Moved back to West Coast after graduation and joined the local fitness club. It wasn't until spinning became the latest rage replacing some of the aerobic classes but I just couldn't get into spinning. Great cardio but I found it boring. Tapes in stores I found were for beginners. After some online research, stumble across Video Fitness and Collage Video (I don't know which came first) and brought my first Cathe tape, Step Works. WOW! I've created quite a collection of tapes, DVDs, digital videos since.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 12:05 PM  
Nelly G

I started as a child with korfball and quit at the age of 15 to help my parents at their shop (fruit and vegatables). At the age of 18 when I started working and living on my own I started with videos. I started with Callanetics. Later I got video’s of Jane Fonda, Cindy Crawford.

A friend of mine started with working out this year with Callanetics and she loves it.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 11:05 AM  
lingo10

I believe when i was in jr high or middle school when i was in team sports but I woke up 6:30am/7am and used to see Denise Austin Fit n Lite and daily aerobics come on lifetime and that got me started with doing extra workouts.

From then on, progressed further.

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 11:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Starting in fourth grade I would come home from school and follow along with a PBS show called Yoga for Health. Been a vidiot and a yogini ever since!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 11:32 AM  
leigh1673

With! It was Jane Fonda and Kathy Smith all throughout high school!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first videos, first workout