Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-17, 09:27 PM  
daisyduke

Everyone’s input is so interesting! Thank you for sharing.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 06:26 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I do both, though my heavy isn't all that heavy anymore. 2 15 pound weights for a really short lower body set, is about the heaviest that I will go. It's usually my set of 12 pounders that I use for most lower body work but I can sometimes handle heavier for deadlifts.

I probably do most often moderate weights actually, in the middle. But really all three, I find alternating is the best for me as well. Though I never really liked light weights/high reps until I found Margaret Richard.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 06:38 AM  
imhere2dance

Only light weights! I got beautiful definition from using 1, 2, and 3 pound dumbbells. I'm a weakling, but you wouldn't know it by looking at my arms. LOL
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 09:35 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I also do both. Right now I'm doing 2 heavy and 1 light per week.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 10:21 AM  
tiletha444

I like to do a variety for both upper and lower body. My week usually has a mix of 1-2 heavy days and/or 1-2 moderate weight days. A few times a month, I'll throw in a light weight/high rep workout, such as Les Mills Pump.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 10:35 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I don't enjoy heavy weight work. I don't mind a little, but not consistently. I like lighter weights, quicker reps. Always have. I don't know if I could have benefitted through the years from heavy weight workouts, but slow and heavy type weight workouts just don't motivate me. I'm not real strong, but I guess fun beats boring for me.
This! I'm a light-weight, faster/higher reps kinda gal. Like Slim Series was made for me. I had great results with these throughout the years, provided my diet was in check.

To me, lifting 12-15 lbs with the older Firm were lifting "heavy" - lol. And those weights were only for the big muscles like the back/trapezius.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 04:10 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Both. I feel like heavier weights build muscle, and light helps with definition. I'll do a month or so of heavy, then a month or so of light.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 04:26 PM  
Zenara25

I have large upper arms and shoulders. So I tend to mostly do high reps for those areas. For both legs (thin) and back I usually go moderate up to heavy. I also do plyo.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 10:53 PM  
rhbrand

Me, HEAVY weights. Nothing video based at all. Not even STS. I'm talking squatting 200+ deadlifting 240+ bench pressing 120lbs.

Its all diet related. I eat far in excess for a few weeks/months, lift as heavy as I can, then go on a cut for a few months, still lifting heavy and lose the fat and lean out.

Doing a bulk now, even though I'm overweight. Trying to put on as much muscle as I can, then in about Feb/Mar, I'll cut my calories by 200-300 and lean out some. I did that a couple years ago, and dropped 2 pant sizes but only 10lbs.
Old 11-14-17, 03:44 AM  
Elsie

Like others, I do enjoy light, moderate-heavy & true heavy/power and all are good for me. I have been avoiding super high rep more recently as it seems to cause repetitive stress discomforts. I seem to be able to focus much better and stabilize my joints more smoothly when the weight bearing feels more "weighed down" if that makes any sense. For example, performing a kettlebell turkish get-up with a 'lightish' bell? I feel like my ankles are flailing all over the place and I have limited control over my core and shoulders. I'm not sure why this is ....perhaps just the way I'm built or something. lol. The downside of going heavier is that I end up craving sugar which I ought to be moderating more.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbbell size, weights only