Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-13, 06:11 PM  
horsemom2

I wouldn't like cardio either if I were doing the kind you mentioned.
My cardio formula is easy:
good music, easy to follow moves and a bungee.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 06:33 PM  
dela

I pretty much only do kickboxing workouts for my cardio and I also feel the cardio effect from kettlebell and other circuit workouts counts too! No steady state cardio for me, can't stand the stuff
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 06:37 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm not a huge fan of steady state, either. It's fine with me since steady state has also been proven to be less effective than intervals, and IMO, intervals are much more interesting!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 09:22 AM  
AprilCleo

It's nice to know that I am not the only one who dislikes cardio. I used to love step, but can only do about 15 minutes before I quit. I have tried Hiit and tabata and really do not like them. They are so boring. I don't mind cardio mixed in with weights like some of Cathe's leg workouts, but just doing cardio on its own, I really have a hard time doing it. When summer comes I will walk outside during my lunch hour. Right now I will do UY's crosstraining, cardio and strength, they get my heart rate up.
AprilCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 09:58 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilCleo View Post
It's nice to know that I am not the only one who dislikes cardio. I used to love step, but can only do about 15 minutes before I quit. I have tried Hiit and tabata and really do not like them. They are so boring. I don't mind cardio mixed in with weights like some of Cathe's leg workouts, but just doing cardio on its own, I really have a hard time doing it. When summer comes I will walk outside during my lunch hour. Right now I will do UY's crosstraining, cardio and strength, they get my heart rate up.
Barbara, sounds like what you are doing is working fine for you. I am pretty similar--with the exception of kickboxing, I don't like most forms of "traditional" cardio either (e.g., HIIT, hi/low, step, floor aerobics, etc.--some simple dance workouts are okay in small doses). I do have a recumbent bike, and I don't mind riding that for short periods. I will generally dedicate one day per week to a longish cardio session (45-50 minutes), although to pass the time, I will do multiple activities, such as 15 minutes on the bike, 15 minutes of one DVD, and 20 minutes of another DVD. But like you, I also get cardio benefits from some of my weight training workouts, including kettlebells and KCM.

This has worked well for me. My weight seems better controlled when I focus more on strength work, and in terms of cardiovascular benefits, I have low BP, low cholesterol, and no history of heart disease in my family, so I think okay there as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 10:29 AM  
alisoncooks

I don't care for cardio of any sort. Occasionally I'll pop in a Leslie dvd (2 miles is my MAX) or go for an outdoor walk... but when I'm working out consistently, it's mostly ALL toning dvds (barre, yoga, light weights). Do these have a cardio effect? Sure... but they're not considered "cardio."
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 01:45 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I hate cardio. I would do weights every day if I could. I am currently doing a couch to 5K. (Got the app for my phone!) Perhaps I will learn to like running. Uh-huh.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 01:57 PM  
workoutjunkie

You're not alone. I used to have a love/hate relationship with running. I would dread doing it, but would feel good once I did. But I don't run anymore. The only kind of cardio I really like is kickboxing, which I haven't tried since I hurt my hip. I take that back, I love KCM's TLC too.

I really enjoy weight workouts, and more recently pilates, barre and yoga type stuff.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 08:46 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I WISH I loved cardio but I don't like it.

I don't mind walking but I'd rather take a beating than to do intense cardio.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 01:34 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I don't like it.

I like metabolic weight lifting which gets my heart racing, but I don't like cardio of any kind.

I love walking, but don't consider that 'cardio'.

I don't like any form of aerobics and step bit the bullet for me years ago. Overdosed in the 90s on step class
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no cardio, weights only