Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-16, 07:16 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Cathe Strong and Sweaty review thread

This isn't really a formal review, but more a collection of my first impressions.

I just finished Ramped Up Upper Body and I liked it. I need to say up front that I have a general bias towards liking most of Cathe's workouts, and I do about 90% of my strength training with her.

There is nothing really new or innovative in this workout, but that is fine with me. I thought the moves flowed well together and there was no point that had a dread factor for me. Each body part was worked before moving on to the next in this order: back, chest, triceps, shoulders, biceps. Among the moves were one-armed rows, chest flys, tricep kickbacks, lateral raises, hammer curls - nothing out of the ordinary. Each body part included some work with a band. Some moves were done twice; some only once, so there was no feel of predictability. I don't feel sore right now, but I went a bit light with the weights given that it was my first time and I hadn't previewed.

I am looking toward to hearing what others think of this series.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-16, 08:30 PM  
cecififi

Whoa! thanks for this thread. It made me check out Cathe on Demand. The workouts are up! yeah! What to do first tomorrow. What to do first....
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 06:58 AM  
cecififi

I did Giant Sets this morning and really enjoyed it. I found it a tad easier than her live workout which helped cos I find the live one tough - have never finished it. The music was good, the moves were great. The workout flew by. This is a great one and know I will enjoy the premixes for lower body.

I really liked seeing Nicole there. She is in Cathe's Live workouts so she is a familiar face for me.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 08:12 AM  
marki64

Thanks Ladies! I think the 1st one I will do is either Cardio Slam or PHA. Ramped UB didn't look like there was anything new, but glad to hear there is no dread. Love the overviews. I really don't like to read the long overly winded reviews with all the breakdowns. Just a quick overview is nice to read.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 09:04 AM  
muggle

I did Bootcamp this morning. It was ok. Having only done it once I'm not so sure how I feel about the barbell going over the step move. She does use the step for elevated lunges which is fine. This has 6 rounds of cardio, lower body, compound lower body then upper. She doesn't kill you with endless reps but if you use the right weight, you'll feel it. The cardio was familiar moves- squats in a box, swim lunges. Lower body had lunges, sumo squats w/ barbell, upper had tricep dips, flies. So I'm guessing it's moves we've seen before w/ slight twists to them (using the step). I added the abs bonus on the end and that was really decent. Overall it was nice but not earth shattering for me. I wish the music was better and going OFF beat trips me up. GRRR!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 02:50 PM  
suzannaerin

Muggle, I saw that barbell over the step move and thought, danger Will Robinson! There is no way I'm even going to attempt it, I'll figure some modification
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 02:55 PM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Muggle, I saw that barbell over the step move and thought, danger Will Robinson! There is no way I'm even going to attempt it, I'll figure some modification
The barbell is only 20 lbs but it just felt REALLY awkward, so I grabbed hand weights quick. It felt a lot better...I'm one of those people that trips over my own feet if I'm not paying attention.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 03:09 PM  
suzannaerin

That move has injury written all over it, even with an unweighted bar....
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 05:12 PM  
dbclark44

I got her calendar and she has a Strong and Sweaty rotation on it for January that I plan to do. So I'm holding off on doing them until next month and will loosely follow her rotation. I say loosely, because I've become a modifying Queen when it comes to me and Cathe. Case in point is the step usage in BC mentioned above. I will not be using the step but will be modifying the moves on the floor.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 05:29 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks for the UB review, Paula. That's the only one I ordered and it's due Saturday.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, peripheral heart action, reviews, strong and sweaty, strong and sweaty reviews, total body giant sets