Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-13, 08:42 AM  
marmact

What instructors have you tried and said "no, thank you"?

This is specific to actually having tried an instructor's workout vs. writing them off after watching clips or reading reviews.

The only time this has happened to me is with BJ Gaddour. I don't mind goofy instructors (I love Tony), talkative instructors (hi, Dasha!), or even instructors who say the same things over and over (I know it's not a water stoppage, Mike K), but for some reason, BJ really rubbed me the wrong way. I think it may have been how easy those first few DeltaFit workouts were, in conjunction with his demeanor on screen (I didn't find him funny at all), plus I made the mistake of "liking" his Facebook page, only to be really irritated by some of the selfies he posted. I could not get rid of that set and unlike his FB page fast enough, lol.

You?
Old 09-13-13, 08:47 AM  
twinkletoes

Mindy Mylrea
Emily Walsh (is that her name? From The Firm)
Mari Winsor
Old 09-13-13, 08:47 AM  
Cafelattee

Jillian Michaelss
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 08:51 AM  
desie

Well, I can see from a clip whether or not an instructor appeals to me. I don't have any instructor dvds that were a bust because of the instructor. I do have several dvds that were a bust because the workout was not for me. For example, I like Powerstrike kickbox, but I don't like the Atletica workouts or even the Bodystrikes. I am getting pretty good at finding workouts that suit my fitness level. I make most of my mistakes on the actual exercises that I would like to do - I can't seem to know until I've tried. Fortunately, the online workouts really help in getting to know myself a bit better before spending any money.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 08:53 AM  
Irisg1

Paul Katami. I only have his Bootcamp 4x4, did it once, and couldn't stand his grunting. That was it for me.
Old 09-13-13, 08:56 AM  
deineira

Mindy Mylrea
Jillian Michaels

Brian Kest (this is a cheat because while I did not *do* the workout, I watched the entire thing and he was so annoying to me.

That's all I can think of right now, but I have not tried as many instructors as most folks here have.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 08:58 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Mindy Mylrea - there's a particular timbre to her voice that grates on my ears

Sandra K from Horizontal Conditioning is in my maybe/maybe not pile right now. She's so....dry. The starter HC workouts I own are so matter-of-fact and straightforward and boring, I need an instructor with a little more zip to get me motivated.
Old 09-13-13, 09:07 AM  
cherimac

Another vote for Mindy Mylrea. It wasn't her voice or chattiness~I like Leslie after all. She's seriously the only person I tried who I could not follow. Her cuing was non-existent. I know the same is true of TA but her workouts aren't as frantic so I had an easier time.

Travis Elliot. I know most people love him but he bugged me. But then again, so does Bryan Kest.

Other than that, I can't ....oh, wait, Jillian Michaels. I did give her two or three shots but decided it was a no-go.
Old 09-13-13, 09:09 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Mindy Mylrea
Jillian Michaels

Brian Kest (this is a cheat because while I did not *do* the workout, I watched the entire thing and he was so annoying to me.

That's all I can think of right now, but I have not tried as many instructors as most folks here have.
It looks like we're twins in this matter.
Old 09-13-13, 09:09 AM  
topfitmama

Jillian Michaels, to the point that I don't even want to try anything else she puts out. (unless people rave about it so much that I have to, of course )

Rebekah Sturkie. She makes good workouts and I keep trying them, but there's something about her demeanor that rubs me the wrong way and I end up not wanting to do the workouts.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote