Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-12, 07:41 AM  
Sara1000

How long do you work out and how often?

I'm just wondering what most VFrs do each day and how often do you have a rest/recovery day?

I'm in my 60's and am doing 45 min. to an hour most days with 1 recovery day. My workouts mix Leslie with about 20 minutes of intense (for me) work, either cardio, weights or a combination.

My goal is to be strong and have unlimited endurance, cut body fat/increase muscle mass.

I feel great so I don't think I'm overdoing it but just wondering what others do. If you don't mind, include what decade you're in when you respond. Thanks.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 07:56 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm 40 and try to do an hour a day, but I'm not always successful! I also try to maintain a high activity level throughout the day. I wear a Fitbit and try to get at least 10k steps per day which isn't difficult during the school year.

I try not to take a complete rest day as I find I get out of my groove and it's harder for me to get back into it, but I don't hit it really hard every day. Sometimes, I'll just go for an easy walk or have a good stretch during my workout time.

I certainly don't think you're overdoing it if you feel good and energetic. When you consider how much activity people used to get before the age of cars and computers, even a pretty active person probably pales in comparison!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 07:57 AM  
Elise7

I'm in my 20s. I do 5 days with 1 hour sessions of fairly intense cardio or weights. I do 1 day with a 40 minute session of something light like Ellen or a free Jessica Smith YouTube workout.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 08:03 AM  
marmact

Oooh, good question! I'm about to turn 45 and what I do varies based on a bunch of factors (such as time available, what's going on with work and the boy, etc.). My usual approach is an hour a day 6 days a week, varying the intensity and impact. Then I go through periods where I am really focused on the mental boost I get from high-intensity work (I do this during seasonal changes to ward off SAD). That involves 1 to 1.5 hours a day of higher-impact, higher-intensity work. I usually only do that 3-4 days a week, and for me it gets the job done. I do take rest days as needed.
Old 09-25-12, 08:11 AM  
patchworkpenguin

I'm in my mid 40's, and I try to do an hour 5 times a week. Right now I'm trying to do 30min weights and 30min cardio each day. Not really thrilled about the cardio part so if I do weights with it I'm more likely to actually do it and not skip my cardio workouts.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 08:25 AM  
PhyllisG

I am in my 60's and do about an hour every day and take a rest day after maybe 10 days. Right now I am doing Les Mills Pump (last week). I didn't take as many rest days as they suggest but usually did an Ellen Barrett workout instead.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 08:31 AM  
Gams

I am in my 50's and I try to work out for a minimum of an hour a day every day. I often don't get an hour in on Friday, though, because I work 7:45 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.on Fridays and sometimes I'm just too tired.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 08:32 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm 45 and work out every day. I generally walk about three miles outdoors or if I can't do a dvd such as Ellen Barrett. I also do at least one Classical Stretch/Essentrics workout every day.

I have four kids (and a new puppy!) and things are hectic here. Generally on the weekend I do longer workouts; the dad is home and I feel like it's my "treat". Weird, huh?

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 08:52 AM  
Kesal

I'm in my late 30s. My schedule varies throughout the year. My goal is 3 hours per week minimum. I rarely miss that goal, and for the past few years my average has been more like 4 hours per week, but that's just "extra" in my mind. My average workout is probably between 30 and 50 minutes (I have a few very valuable 15 to 20 minute workouts that I use when I just want to do something; they add up). I take one or two rest days most weeks.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 09:07 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I'm 50. I do some form of circuit training 40-60 mins. a day, 5-6 days a week. I prefer to get it done first thing in the morning when my energy levels are highest.

I average 1 yoga class a week and am now adding 15-30 mins of stretching/yoga in the evenings before I go to bed. Sometimes I walk outdoors, too.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote