Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-12, 04:29 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I met Gilad today

After reading the New York Times article that Joni O posted, that mentioned that Gilad was in NYC, I looked at his website and saw that he was teaching exercise classes this afternoon on Roosevelt Island. So, I drove over there (I've never been there before but it's a very nice island with parks).

There were about 40 people there, which was surprising, since I thought it would be packed with Gilad fans. The class that I took was a standing core class that involved a lot of twisting. He did some lunge and squat variations, too.

Anyway, I was so looking forward to getting to meet Gilad, since I have been working out to his TV show and DVDs for so long. I was hoping to get to speak to him for a minute or so.

Well, I was VERY disappointed because when I went over to say hi, he said hi back and then I started saying that I was from Video Fitness, and in the middle of my sentence, he turned away and walked over to some other people who wanted to take a photo with him. I was going to ask him to take a photo with me, but since he acted so rudely, I didn't stick around.

I am very glad I never went to Hawaii to do his fitness camp, (which is something I had considered)! The guy is a curmudgeon. He never smiled one time during the entire exercise class.

This proves what I have said before, which is that it's sometimes better not to meet instructors in person because there is the possibility that they won't be nice, and then it will make you not want to do their DVDs anymore.

Gilad definitely lost a fan today .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 04:39 PM  
alisoncooks

Aw, how terrible to hear!
Sorry you had such a negative experience.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 04:53 PM  
katalina

Sorry about your experience.

A few years ago I was in Hawaii and a kind vfer (sorry, I don't remember who it was) and I were going to meet to take one of Gilad's classes - complete with contacting his people about class times, etc. After a $32 cab fare - I arrived to discover that he was at a photo shoot instead. I was so livid I totally forgot that this vfer was going to meet me there - which would've at least salvaged the trip for me and I still feel bad about leaving before meeting her. Anyway, I paid my return cab fare and composed a note telling him how disappointed I was by what had transpired. In return I got a cheesy autographed poster - but wait - the poster was in one of those flimsy envelops providing no protection and it had a cardboard in it that was about half the size of the poster. Needless to say, I received a crinkled up poster. Felt it was appropriate and I've never watched or worked out to him again.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 05:04 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

That's a real shame!

Manners are not the strong point of his country of origin, but after so many years away from home I'd expect some improvement. I've met several instructors in person and have not been disappointed, but if that happened to me, I'd be put off their videos, too.

I met Deva Premal in person & she was absolutely lovely - made me love her music even more.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 05:06 PM  
Darisa

How disappointing! He should be so lucky to get a picture with you. What a fool.

PS ~ I meant he's the fool not you
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 05:19 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Katalina, that sounds like a terrible experience! After today, it doesn't surprise me, though.
Old 05-12-12, 05:33 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

That's a bummer, Abbe. How rude of him! And after you were so successful tracking him down.

I don't think an instructor has ever been rude to me, not that I remember anyway. The closest was Gay Gasper saying that, OF COURSE, she does more than workout videos as if I was insulting her by asking.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 05:34 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
I've met several instructors in person and have not been disappointed, but if that happened to me, I'd be put off their videos, too.

I met Deva Premal in person & she was absolutely lovely - made me love her music even more.
I've also met several other instructors who have been very nice (Petra, Keli Roberts, Gin Miller, Cory Everson and Mindy Mylrea come to mind). I've met other instructors at various conventions and fitness events, but I have never seen any instructor act as rudely as Gilad. It bothers me when "celebrities" treat the fans like they are beneath them.

It's funny that he wasn't interested when I mentioned that I was from Video Fitness---you would think he would want some positive mention over here since he's in the business of selling exercise DVDs!
Old 05-12-12, 05:37 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
That's a bummer, Abbe. How rude of him! And after you were so successful tracking him down.

I don't think an instructor has ever been rude to me, not that I remember anyway. The closest was Gay Gasper saying that, OF COURSE, she does more than workout videos as if I was insulting her by asking.
Yikes, Joni, I didn't know Gay Gasper said that!
Old 05-12-12, 06:20 PM  
Tait
VF Supporter

I am sorry to hear that he was rude to you! I used to go backstage at Starlight to see the actors after the play and I found and some were nice like Shirley Jones and some were horrible -- Vincent Price comes to mind - very full of himself. I got to see several soap stars form Y & R (the early shows) and Marie Osmond and they were very nice to those waiting. Davy Jones was just as cute as he could be and nice as well. Too bad about Gilad.

Tags
chalene johnson, charlene prickett, gilad, richard simmons, rude instructors