Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-12, 11:47 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Winsor's Lower Body Pilates

This DVD is divided into three parts. Each section is about 20 minutes long and has its own chapter on the DVD. There are no chapter markings for the individual exercises which reduces its flexibility somewhat. It is labeled as a Beg/Int workout, but I disagree with that. I think it’s at least intermediate level and I would consider some of the exercises to be advanced.
The first section is entitled the Slim & Sculpt Hip Routine, but I think it’s more of an abdominal workout than anything else. The high hip (love handle) area gets worked in many of these moves, but it’s definitely as a secondary muscle group. There are moves such as the saw, spine twist, mermaid, roll backs and roll ups etc. Some of the moves that do hit the hips are old fashioned hip walks across the floor. Mari mentions that she used to watch her mother do them and thinks they’re effective. The section ends with side planks that include lifting the hips up and down as well as twisting inward while holding the plank position. This is why I don’t think it’s a beginner workout.
The second section is entitled the Trim and Tone Thigh Routine and this does work the area it says it does. You do various side lying exercises and there are a lot of variations including moving the legs up and down, circles large and small, as well as pulsing, bicycle, and scissor moves, fetal thighs etc. There’s also some good inner thigh work. There’s a lot of variety and my hips and thighs felt really good after doing these moves. After completing the other side, you do front and back planks as well as some moves where you lie back resting on your elbows and do exercises where you move both legs at the same time. It’s a very complete thigh workout.
The third section is called the Lift & Sculpt Glute Workout, and it includes lot of good glute exercises. First, you’re on your stomach for single leg and double leg kicks and well as lifting your thighs off the matt and beating your legs together. You end up grabbing your ankles for the equivalent of the boat pose in yoga, another advanced move.
Then you get on your hands and knees for a series of kick outs. Again there are lots of variations shown. Finally you get into bridge position on your back for a series of moves that have you lifting and rolling up and down with legs apart, legs together, one leg up, one leg out to the side etc. It’s very challenging and really hits the glutes from many angles. I think this would be a good substitute for those who like barre type exercises for the glutes, but are unable to do standing work. Your glutes will feel worked out when you finish.
I really liked this DVD and think I will get a lot of good use out of it. The exercises tighten up areas that many women consider to be problem areas. It’s not going to build up a lot of visible muscle because no equipment is used beyond a mat, but you definitely tweeze, as Mari would say, the muscles in the thighs and glutes.

Mari’s instructions are clear and precise. I think her presentation skills have improved over time. There is only one exerciser, Shannon Nadj, on a raised oval in front of Mari. Shannon does an excellent job of demonstrating the exercises, but doesn't say a word. Because there’s only one exerciser, the camera is in closer than in previous Winsor workouts and I think it works better.
Old 03-22-12, 12:27 PM  
topfitmama

Thanks for the review, Jane P!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 12:43 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Great review. Thanks!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 12:59 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Great review Jane! I'm really looking forward to trying the other two workouts. I hurt my back recently and am getting over that (not from the Mari workout).

I also love Shannon! She's gorgeous, demonstrates flawlessly and I appreciate that she doesn't make silly faces like some of the other Winsor models. And I agree that Mari seems to have taken cuing lessons, finally!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 01:02 PM  
naturallove

Jane-This is an excellent review! I will definitely put this one on my wish list!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 01:59 PM  
dbclark44

This is a good review. Did you post it to the review section of the forum? It'll go great there. Good job.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 04:21 PM  
c4ward

Really great review!

Thanks.
c4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 05:29 PM  
DebbieRN

Thanks Jane. Mine shipped Tuesday, along with a few blues rock CDs. Maybe I'll get them by the weekend. I could use it since my ankle is a little red/swollen from too much rebounding. Can't believe I have only one old DVD from Mari since I really like her.

Debbie
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 09:10 PM  
pcramer

Great review!!

I have been eyeing this one for a bit, think it will make its way to my shopping cart now
Old 03-22-12, 09:22 PM  
princess76

Sounds good!
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body, pilates band, winsor pilates