Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-11, 07:49 PM  
preklbt

Lower back/hip pain

I have had an area in my lower back area that has been sore for months, sometimes I think it's a tightness in my hip, but I feel pain, achy-ness in my lower back. This started over the summer, out of no where. I did go to the chiropractor & it sorta helped, he said my hips were very tight. Lately though I've had pain in the front, my lower abdomen as well & am thinking maybe this is something else. I am seeing my gyno this week for a regular check & am going to ask her about it.

I just thought I'd inquire here, I know many have had hip or joint issues & wondered if anyone else had any similar symptoms.
Thanks!
Tami
preklbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 10:39 PM  
dela

I can't really guess what it could be, but you mentioned the tightness in your hips, I recently hurt my back, and it really created some strong hip pain and tightness for me.

I started using the Classical Stretch workouts, and the relief I felt after about 3 sessions was remarkable. You can check your tv listing, PBS airs her programs, for me it's daily at 6am, I just dvr them and do them later and she sells her workouts on dvds. I also bought a couple of seasons.

So I don't thing that CS was the only piece in my healing, but the way I felt after days of pain then did her workouts just 3 times, and the majority of the pain had disappeared, it felt just short of a miracle. So in fairness there were other outlets I looked to that also attributed to my healing .

I went to a chriopractor (and still do), and after a couple weeks, my regular doctor gave me an anti inflammatory to take twice a day for 7-10 days, and I guess keeping the inflammation down while trying to heal was the final thing I needed to get rid of the pain completely. I feel wonderful now that that nagging sometimes sharp pain and tighness is gone.

My issues were related to the Sacrioliac joint (sorry don't know the correct spelling). But I pretty much feel 100% again, and have just started ramping up my workouts this week, but I will keep Classical Stretch as a part of every day when possible in addition to my other workouts.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 11:06 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by preklbt View Post
I have had an area in my lower back area that has been sore for months, sometimes I think it's a tightness in my hip, but I feel pain, achy-ness in my lower back. This started over the summer, out of no where. I did go to the chiropractor & it sorta helped, he said my hips were very tight. Lately though I've had pain in the front, my lower abdomen as well & am thinking maybe this is something else. I am seeing my gyno this week for a regular check & am going to ask her about it.

I just thought I'd inquire here, I know many have had hip or joint issues & wondered if anyone else had any similar symptoms.
Thanks!
Tami
Tight hip flexors (particularly the Psoas muscles) can cause pain in the lower back, hip and abdomen since they connect in the lower back (lumbar) and run through the abdominal region to attach to the femur. Long periods of sitting can cause them to shorten, making them vulnerable to strain with even normal walking. They can also become strained by repetitive motion (walking in place aka Leslie Sansone workouts etc) or high demand activities (kicking etc).

Hopefully your Gyn appointment will rule out problems there and help you narrow it down. There are plenty of stretches that can help with hip flexor tightness if that turns out to be the case. HTH.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 12:19 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Good idea to visit the gyn and rule out any major problems.

I wanted to 2nd Classical Stretch--it has been pretty miraculous for me. I've had Miranda and Sahra's workouts for years and used them periodically. Fall of 2010 I was sick of lower back pain and decided to commit to CS daily. It has been awesome! Nothing pulls my back out and stretches me like CS--not yoga, nothing. I would encourage you to check out PBS, YouTube, and if you like purchase a season. Season 7 has been particularly helpful as Miranda focuses so much on the hips and spine.

I wish you luck.

Jackie
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 08:17 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I recently had some constant lower back pain (posted a thread about it on here). I got my first Classical Stretch (season 4, and both Essentrics) and they helped big time. I also started to do a short nightly yoga section that included hip openers and I think that is what got rid of my low back pain. The short yoga sessions I like are by Yoga Journal and are free video downloads on iTunes. Good luck. I know how annoying (and painful) it is!
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 09:20 AM  
kaylasmom321

This is a helpful thread! I have been experiencing the same pain and tightness that the OP had described. I will definitely have to check out Classical Stretch. Thanks!!
kaylasmom321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 09:58 AM  
shawnt

I've had the same symptoms too -- mine started around August. It's only on my right side. I was worried that mine could be something else besides tight hips but none of the doctors that I've seen (for other things) has been concerned.

I have all of the CS that are available on DVD (including the back pain one) and those don't help my particular problem. The only DVD that has helped is Gary Kraftsow's Viniyoga for Low Back Pain. That one is a gem!

I've read on this forum that Barbara Benaugh's Yoga for Stess Relief also is great for low back pain, and I just got that one in the mail yesterday (so I can't comment yet on how effective it is).

I wish the posters that have this problem a speedy recovery! And thanks to the others who commented -- your posts were very helpful!
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 11:02 AM  
preklbt

Thank you so much everyone! I think I am going to try an episode of Classical Stretch on youtube. I didn't find it on pbs but looked at some on youtube. I also googled her site & found that you can buy the videos there, I saw amazon has some of them.

How often do you use these? Do you get any toning effects from these (bonus!)?

Thanks again!
Tami
preklbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 11:12 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

No a substitute for medical advice, but there's a terrific little book about releasing the psoas:

http://corewalking.com/store/books/p...iscomfort.html

The author, Jonathan Fitzgordon, also maintains a blog full of information re: alignment, movement, posture etc.

Disclaimer: Jonathan is one of my yoga teachers, and I contribute art work to his blog.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 11:13 AM  
mtnmom

You might want to change up your routine for lower body work. I know I had nagging lower back pain a few years back. I was doing Cathe and Jari workouts. I think Cathe's low ends and pulses during squats and Jari's endless deadlifts were not good for my back. Now I don't focus on leg work so much and just do what might be in a total body workout. I do a lot more Kelly Coffey-Meyer workouts and she is much easier on the lower body.

I'm not sure what kind of weight or toning work you do, but change it up for about 3 weeks and see how it goes. Tummy issues might be something else entirely and I'm glad you're going to see your OB/GYN about it.

Tags
back pain, psoas, yoga squat