Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-11, 01:55 PM  
Hanover

VF Old Timers

Hi there,

I have returned to this site after disappearing for a few years. I found VF during the late 90s. Back then, everyone seemed to be doing The Firm. I coined the term "Dork Dance" that was done at the end of one of their tapes (I forget which one).

I remember going on one of The Firm field trips to Columbia, SC...which is exactly why I stopped doing their videos. The Bensons were kind of creepy. The older one actually asked the entire room, "Are there any spies here today?" LOL. That just sort of ruined the entire Firm experience for me for some reason. Their list at the time kinda felt cultish and there was always drama going...if you questioned anything about The Firm, you'd get the wrath.

It was that experience that made me turn to Cathe almost full-time except for The Firm Cross Trainers.

I'm now 40 years old and made a commitment to get back to exercise again. I turned to P90x because I liked the idea of a structured workout where I didnt need to think about what I was going to do from day to day. After three weeks, I was seeing some good results but felt as if I was jumping into the deep end. The pull-ups and my weight just weren't compatible.

So now I'm doing TurboFire and hope to get back to P90x once I finish that (although the PeakChallenge is awfully tempting!).

Is there anyone else still here from the good ol' days?
Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 01:59 PM  
metalbarbie

I don't think I'm an old timer but I know what the Dork Dance is! I'm getting back into the videos after a long absence too.
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:05 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hanover, that's hilarlious about the Bensons! It doesn't surprise me--they did seem a little paranoid... among other things.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:15 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I've been here for awhile and I remember you. I also remember when you coined the term, "Dork dance".
Old 06-29-11, 02:21 PM  
karenlynn
VF Supporter

I joined in 2002, and I'm also getting back into working out. I also know what the dork dance is
karenlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:29 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've been here quite awhile--I had joined prior to 1999--and rejoined. I started with the Firm, absolutely know what the dork dance is. I had the Benson's book at one time. I used to teach group fitness classes and have completely changed my exercise genre--love fusion, barre, Classical Stretch, and walking.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:29 PM  
Hanover

Thats a picture from the 1998Firm trip. I'm the one on the upper left.
Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:50 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I've been coming to VF since 1996, IIRC, and continue to visit as often as I can. Not that I'm an addict or anything.....

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:51 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Hanover, welcome back! I've been with VF since the beginning, when it was The Exercise Video FAQ. That's a funny story about the Firm. I remember when they were a constant source of drama - but they came up with some decent workouts, too

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:55 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I've been here since the beginning also. I think the earliest join date on anybody's profile is Nov 2001. That date shows those of us who are truly old timers!

I have no idea if the Bensons were creepy or not... the only thing that mattered to me, and still does, is that the workouts are excellent!

Tags
classic vfers, road trip, vidiot history