Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-11, 10:22 AM  
prettyinpink

how to increase intensity of zumba?

I recently got the Exhilarate set and have done most of the DVDS. I have done Exhilarate a couple of times and had no trouble picking up the moves. I'm still working on getting all of the hip swivels and belly dancing in there, though. I use the toning sticks and try to make bigger movements and add some hops and bounces, and I feel good at the end of the hour, but I don't feel like I get my heart rate up enough to count it as cardio exercise.

I am sure a challenging live class would help with this, but I don't have the opportunity to take any right now. I plan to try today with some 2 pound weights, but it doesn't seem like there are enough arm movements at times for it to make a big difference, and with the dancing I don't know if I would want to go heavier than 2 pounds.

Any ideas for how any of you have increased the challenge? Or is it just one of those things that is always going to be much less intense?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 10:38 AM  
goldillocks

Ankle weights or a weight belt ?
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 10:41 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Increase your hand weights. I use the 2.5 lb toning sticks but you can use 2-3 lb dumbbells as well. Just go easy at first, decrease your range of motion and if the movements really feel too fast then hold them at your waist.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 11:05 AM  
andtckrtoo

Don't walk or keep your feet completely on the ground for any movement. If you watch their feet, they are usually bouncing. Even the side to side movements have bounce in them.

I did Exhilarate this morning, and I burned the same number of calories I do when I do Cathe's IMax 2. And that was without toning sticks. I just bounce, hop and jump every possible move, and I use my entire workout space to do the dances.

By the way - I do like the toning sticks and have the 2.5 pound ones as well. I use them mainly with Live from the Transformer set. I like to have my hands free for Exhilarate.
Old 06-23-11, 12:09 PM  
Nairobinicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I did Exhilarate this morning, and I burned the same number of calories I do when I do Cathe's IMax 2. And that was without toning sticks. I just bounce, hop and jump every possible move, and I use my entire workout space to do the dances.

I too found that I burn as many calories doing Exhilarate or Mix as I do with one of my more intense Tae Bo's or step videos. It surprised me because I didn't feel like I was working that hard. Maybe because I was having so much fun? I almost returned the set to QVC after doing each dvd twice (my Leslie dvds are much cheaper) but I pulled out my heart rate monitor and wore it while doing Mix just to see. I was a believer after that.
Nairobinicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 03:09 PM  
joycet
VF Supporter

I got this set a few weeks ago and was wondering too how to increase the intensity. It is definitely interesting to me that you all are finding you burn as many calories doing the workouts as when you do some other very intense workouts. Even Exhilarate doesn't seem that intense to me. The workouts are very fun though!
joycet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 03:30 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Doing Zumba live, I burn as many calories as I do running (about 600 per hour). I'm sure it's less intense on dvd, though; it would be very hard to keep up that kind of enthusiasm and intensity on dvd in the way you can in a live class... Nonetheless, Zumba kind of sneaks up on you. I think you're having so much fun you don't realize how hard you're working aerobically. I never FEEL like a Zumba Live class is as intense as running; but my HRM tells the tale.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 03:53 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Nonetheless, Zumba kind of sneaks up on you. I think you're having so much fun you don't realize how hard you're working aerobically. I never FEEL like a Zumba Live class is as intense as running; but my HRM tells the tale.
And that's why people Zumba. It's FUN, a killer workout, and the time flies by so fast that you're drenched in sweat and huffing and puffing before you realize it. :P That's a live class - not the DVD's. The DVD's are not quite like a live class, honestly, but they're getting closer.
Old 06-23-11, 04:16 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
And that's why people Zumba. It's FUN, a killer workout, and the time flies by so fast that you're drenched in sweat and huffing and puffing before you realize it. :P That's a live class - not the DVD's. The DVD's are not quite like a live class, honestly, but they're getting closer.
Ditto !
Also there are dance variations of the moves and fitness variations to increase the intensity, we ZIN are taught some of them and once you have learnt a couple it is very easy to modify so I reccomend going to a live class to pick these variations.
I love dvds so it took me forever to go to a live class and I regret just not doing before. You get more of the Zumba vibe and now also if I just do the dvds I put more into it
Old 06-23-11, 05:13 PM  
mbcatac7

I have never done the DVDs but the class is a blast. Sometimes I go to a different class with a different teacher..and I think she is not as intense..but you realize half way through you pouring sweat anyway. Also because at home I don't work out in front of a mirror..you think your "moving" more..but wrong. I realized at the class I was not moving enough..ex hip circles..belly rolling etc.

Have fun.
Billie

Tags
zumba, zumba exhilerate