Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-18, 06:28 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Talk to me about diminished cardio capacity with age

I have really begun to notice this. Is it me? Is it normal? How have you adjusted? I've been thinking about taking a pair of risers out of my step; is that admitting defeat?

Weight-wise, I can do what I've always done, but cardio is so much harder for me. Does it matter as long as my HR is in the training zone? I alternate between "****, I'm old" and "Is something wrong with me?"

Donna H
Old 11-07-18, 08:09 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I've noticed this as well over the last year or so but I thought it was due to the fact I just don't do cardio as often anymore. I have neuromas in both feet so cardio isn't fun like it used to be. Maybe it is a combination of getting older and fewer cardio workouts. I've been concentrating on weights and stretching. That's what makes me feel good and is kind to my feet.

I don't think backing off, like removing risers, is admitting defeat, it's just making the appropriate adjustment to allow yourself to keep going. Admitting defeat would be quitting altogether.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 08:34 PM  
Sharaz

In the absent of health related issues, I think is a matter of consistency and tracking progress. Aiming to become better. Taking the risers is not defeat. Start without risers. As long you are on the zone for your own level is okay. You will notice decrease in your HR as you progress. Then is time to add more risers and so on. I’m advocate of using HRMs because I want to make sure than I’m actually doing cardio. If I’m not on the training zone I up or decrease intensity.
Old 11-07-18, 10:06 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I would see your doctor, honestly. I'm sure cardio capacity diminishes with age, but the thing that concerns me is that you said "I have really begun to notice this." The diminution of capacity with age is not usually sudden enough to be noticeable like that. Except maybe if you've been through menopause lately; that does seem to jolt the system in a more sudden way than most aging.

Questions I have would include
1) is it endurance that is reduced (the amount of time you can maintain a workout) or is it intensity tolerance that is reduced? Or both?
2) when did you notice this? Has it been a gradual change or a more sudden one?
3) any other symptoms along with it, such as general fatigue, or is just exercise affected?

It might just be aging or it might be something else you should be aware of and might be able to fix.

Human bodies rarely shout; they mostly murmur their discontent.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 12:52 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

I mean it's not like it happened overnight; it's probably been over time. I think that the problem is I keep trying to do the same workouts I always did and over time, I've come to realize that I just can't keep up. So to answer question 1, it's mostly an intensity thing. And no, no other symptoms.
Old 11-08-18, 08:03 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKWriter View Post
I mean it's not like it happened overnight; it's probably been over time. I think that the problem is I keep trying to do the same workouts I always did and over time, I've come to realize that I just can't keep up. So to answer question 1, it's mostly an intensity thing. And no, no other symptoms.
This happened to me too. I love my step workouts but I finally just gave up and dropped down to just the platform (I only used one riser before). I just got sick of dreading my fun step workouts because they were to hard for me now and I was struggling to finish my workouts. it probably took me 2 years to come to this conclusion. With just the platform, I'm back to enjoying them again. Sometimes if I'm feeling energetic, I will do the warm-up or first combo with one riser than drop down if i feel like it.

Don't worry about it and just make it fun again! Do what feels good!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 08:22 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
In the absent of health related issues, I think is a matter of consistency and tracking progress. Aiming to become better. Taking the risers is not defeat. Start without risers. As long you are on the zone for your own level is okay. You will notice decrease in your HR as you progress. Then is time to add more risers and so on. I’m advocate of using HRMs because I want to make sure than I’m actually doing cardio. If I’m not on the training zone I up or decrease intensity.
I think you misunderstood my post.
Old 11-08-18, 08:24 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
This happened to me too. I love my step workouts but I finally just gave up and dropped down to just the platform (I only used one riser before). I just got sick of dreading my fun step workouts because they were to hard for me now and I was struggling to finish my workouts. it probably took me 2 years to come to this conclusion. With just the platform, I'm back to enjoying them again. Sometimes if I'm feeling energetic, I will do the warm-up or first combo with one riser than drop down if i feel like it.

Don't worry about it and just make it fun again! Do what feels good!
After so many years of intense exercise, it's so hard to admit that we can't do what we used to do! I haven't worked out with a HRM in a long time, so I think I'm going to get another one and see if I'm still working in the same zone at six inches instead of eight. And yeah, I've been tempted for at least a year to drop down, but I feel like there's no going back once I do, and I just need to face facts: I'm no longer 25!

Donna H
Old 11-08-18, 08:38 AM  
jackie7

I dropped my step workouts to just the platform to Our!
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 08:40 AM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKWriter View Post
I think you misunderstood my post.
Thant's fine.

Tags
aging, cardio