Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-12, 06:26 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

although I have never met Margaret Richard or Mindy Mylrea in person, I have had to contact them via telephone and they were courteous, polite and very helpful with my situation at the time. I'll never forget them for that. They took time out of their busy schedule to answer my questions. At the time I thought I was calling customer service and it was them who answered the phone. (I almost gushed like a schoolgirl)

Sorry this happened to you with Gilad. As someone else stated before there is no excuse for behavior like that.
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:30 PM  
Hilary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine S. View Post
I feel the exact same way. For example, if I ever found out that Leslie Sansone was not as sweet and friendly as she seems on her videos, I would be downright crushed, because I own so many of her videos and do them so often. Plus, in her case her personality is what makes her workouts so special IMHO.
Oh I totally agree! Has anyone met Leslie? Surely someone has ... I thought she often made appearances at malls and things
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:53 PM  
sherry7899

Leslie appeared at a mall near my sister's house a few years ago, but my sister was unable to attend. I wish I could have gone there, but it was 90 minutes away on a weeknight.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 07:18 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'll never forget meeting Mindy Mylrea for the first time at a fitness conference. The expo was over - I introduced myself and said I was from VF - she absolutely insisted that I take home whatever the ab thingie was that she was selling at the time - FREE. She packed it up for me and I lugged it home on the plane. She has always been extremely friendly and even invited a bunch of us up to her hotel room during a fitness conference.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 07:28 PM  
EllenU
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear about your negative encounter. I have never tried any of Gilad's workouts, and right now I'm inclined to keep it that way.
Old 05-15-12, 09:36 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post

I remember that Cathe posted that Gilad was a good friend of hers and sponsored her into the fitness Hall of Fame. I find it hard to believe that the two of them are good friends because I would think that Cathe would be put off by his egotistical, ornery personality. It's also hard to believe that Gilad would go out of his way to do favors for anyone else, unless it benefits him.
Maybe he thought he could ride her coattails somehow? He's been around for a couple of decades at least, and people who came up when he did, like Denise Austin and Kathy Smith, are still cranking out DVDs and books and going to the White House and endorsing products and very much in the public eye. And recent upstarts like Jillian Michaels are on primetime TV and making a fortune. He must be feeling left behind. Maybe he thinks all it takes to be a middle-aged fitness idol like Tony Horton is a macho scowl, bloated ego and plenty of shirtless photos on Facebook. But for all the ego, Tony knows a lot better than to be mean to fans at a meet-and-greet!

Put this loser behind you, and look forward to Ilaria.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 02:56 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Maybe he thought he could ride her coattails somehow? He's been around for a couple of decades at least, and people who came up when he did, like Denise Austin and Kathy Smith, are still cranking out DVDs and books and going to the White House and endorsing products and very much in the public eye. And recent upstarts like Jillian Michaels are on primetime TV and making a fortune. He must be feeling left behind. Maybe he thinks all it takes to be a middle-aged fitness idol like Tony Horton is a macho scowl, bloated ego and plenty of shirtless photos on Facebook. But for all the ego, Tony knows a lot better than to be mean to fans at a meet-and-greet!

Put this loser behind you, and look forward to Ilaria.
Interesting post, Sue.

I am looking forward to Ilaria and to meeting more VFers in July!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 06:22 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
I saw & met Gilad at his peak of fitness popularity in the early 90s at a fitness conference in Los Angeles. I'm going to be blunt - he was rude back then and obviously he hasn't changed. There had to be about 150 people taking his class so he should have been happy and honored. But, he wasn't. And what was worse were the attendees. There were other instructors there as well as fitness enthusiasts. They were literally pushing and pulling hair to get to the front of the class so they could be "noticed", which didn't happen because, IN MY OPINION, the only other person Gilad took notice of was his own reflection in the mirror.

That said, he is aging and I'm sure his popularity has dwindled some so he should welcome any and all fans with an open heart. Abbe I'm sorry that he was like that but a tiger can't change his stripes.

Diane
Interesting Diane. A friend of mine who was an aerobic instructor in the 80s-mid 90s met Gilad up in Seattle in the early 90s. She said the same exact thing. She was very disappointed.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 06:32 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Interesting Diane. A friend of mine who was an aerobic instructor in the 80s-mid 90s met Gilad up in Seattle in the early 90s. She said the same exact thing. She was very disappointed.
It was disappointing. He didn't get famous all by himself - you need fans to to get you there. I'm glad my story wasn't an isolated one.

However, the crazy women there pushing and pulling hair was really wild! I stayed in the back of the class just watching and amazed at the insanity of it all!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 10:15 PM  
Genevieve M

I had a similar experience when I met the actor Liev Schreiber as few years ago. I was a total groupie for all of his movies, especially 'Painted Veil'. So I went to see him on Broadway and went backstage to get his autograph. I said, 'Hi Liev, I came all the way from Boston to see your show'. He didn't even look up, just signed my program and handed it to me. BTW, the show wasn't that good.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of his anymore.

Gilad may be what's known as a 'Sabra', an Israeli who is names after a native fruit. He may be a little young for the Sabra era, maybe he just had an attitude because of the low attendance like others have mentioned.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalene johnson, charlene prickett, gilad, richard simmons, rude instructors