Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-12, 02:15 PM  
lhartness

Anyone ever been over 40 & pregnant?

Although my husband and I were hoping for a 3rd child, we were surprised to find that at age 40, I'm pregnant! After about 9 months of trying, I was beginning to think that I'd waited too long to try for a third. But here we are-- I'm due in mid-October, and by then I'll be 41 1/2.

If you're over 40 and are pregnant (or have been over 40 and pregnant in the past), tell me about your workout regimen! When I was last pregnant in 2004/2005, I was younger (of course) and just a tad fitter than I am now. I was able to do Firm BSS3 workouts until my 7th month, when I got the flu and had to stop. I did modify moves, keeping things low impact and not getting on my back later on the pregnancy.

This time around, I'm more concerned about the safety of my unborn child as I'm considered a high-risk pregnancy. At the same time, I want to maintain some level of fitness for overall health and to stave off excessive weight gain.

I know everyone is different and we always need to listen to our bodies and check with our OB/GYN before doing any workout routine, but I'd still love to hear your stories!

Reviews & Giveaways of Videos/Books/Movies/Etc. on my blog The Calico Critic

By God's grace, no longer 248!
lhartness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 02:24 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Well I wasn't pregnant and 40 but I had my son the same year I turned 40 (1992). I worked out until the day before he was born. I stopped doing high impact, and at 7 months stopped aerobics classes at work (I was doing low impact). I wasn't much into weights 20 years ago.

I have been a daily swimmer for almost 32 years so that's mainly what I did, right up until the day before he was born (4 days late) and would have gone that morning but I woke up in labor. Swimming feels GREAT and especially so when pregnant.

Congratulations!!
Old 02-17-12, 02:26 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

Although I have not been pregnant when I was over 40, I have been considered a high risk in all of my pregnancies. As a result I was taken off of all exercise unless it was walking. I would suggest you talk with your obgyn to see what exactly they would want you to avoid.

If they do take you off of working out, remember after Oct. you can start gradually working your way back into working out. (that is how I would always have to look at it)

Best of luck to you,

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 02:30 PM  
lhartness

Thanks, ladies!

Barbara: you sound like you were/are in great shape! Great job!

Kimme: Yeah, I have this 2 mile walk that I do most days to pick my boys up from school, and I'll definitely keep doing that one. I really enjoy the path I take by a small lake and don't even feel like I'm exercising!

Today I did a low-key Stephanie Huckabee PowerFit workout. Those are great to do if you're looking for something that's not killer but still effective.

Reviews & Giveaways of Videos/Books/Movies/Etc. on my blog The Calico Critic

By God's grace, no longer 248!
lhartness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 02:35 PM  
Keepfitgirl

Congratulations! I was 44 when I got pregnant. I'd had two previous miscarriages but Dr's said I could carry on working out. I really took almost all impact out from the off. To me, it just didn't feel right. I carried on stepping for as long as I could. Eventually, my back told me to stop around 7 months, if I remember correctly. I also did kickboxing (not for everyone when they're pregnant) until the week before I gave birth. I mainly did TJ and KCM's 30 min Kickbox. I found the latter to be the best and it didn't aggravate my back at all. Kelly also has a great modifier in Lauren. I also did Cathe's B & G's most weeks and Classical Stretch. I tried doing Leslie but it seemed to aggravate my back. However, I did try to walk outside wherever possible.

I also worked on my core and would recommend the Tupler technique. My stomach sprung back pretty much straight away (even after an emergency C-section), helped by breastfeeding, and the midwives commented on my strong core! I didn't put on any weight, apart from my DS, Benjamin. I don't know if this relates to how active I was, but Benjamin has always been an active and alert baby, now toddler, from day 1.

Hope that's helpful.

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 02:57 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Congratulations! I was 41 when I had my third child. I highly recommend it! I was able to keep working out through the entire pregnancy. Eating...well that was another story! I basically only felt like eating fruit the whole time. I had a healthy baby girl after a VERY easy delivery.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 03:51 PM  
zippity

Hello, I was 41 when I had our youngest!

Congragulations!

If you're considered high-risk only because of your age, then your doc will prolly give you the green light for most exercises.

Walking, and swimming are a pregnant lady's best friend...Gosh, it felt so nice to get in the pool and instantly all the weight and pressure would disappear...

As keepfitmom said, Tupler Technique is WONDERFUL, makes labour a breeze...okay, not, but at least you will have strength and endurence to get through it...
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 04:03 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Just popping in to say congratulations!

I have not had a child over age 40, but my mom was almost 41 when she had me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 04:22 PM  
momof10

I have had 10 children. I had my last 3 at 41, 42 and 45. I didn't have any problems at all. I worked out the whole 9 months. Even though I was over 40, I had no medical problems and my boys were all healthy. Congratulations on your third pregnancy. Enjoy it!!!!
Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 04:28 PM  
DachsieDogMom

here is a site devoted to the topic of pregnancy over 40:
http://flowerpowermom.com/
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pregnancy, workouts