Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-11, 02:46 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
No a substitute for medical advice, but there's a terrific little book about releasing the psoas:

http://corewalking.com/store/books/p...iscomfort.html

The author, Jonathan Fitzgordon, also maintains a blog full of information re: alignment, movement, posture etc.

Disclaimer: Jonathan is one of my yoga teachers, and I contribute art work to his blog.
That blog is awesome. Thanks for posting.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 03:33 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

I started having low back/hip pain about 2 yrs ago. I went to my dr. last year and he asked me the specifically the type of exercises I was doing when I worked out. My dr. told me to stop doing deadlifts (he did not care how correct my form was, as I was arguing the point) that was one of the worst exercises to do that causes back pain. I also do alot of Cathe and Jari and LOVE deadlifts. My dr was right, I quit doing the majority of deadlifts and substitute hip raises where I put my feet on a step instead and my back don't hurt me.

So I have quit doing MOST deadlifts except where they are used as a warm-up like in Cathe's High Reps and just use hip raises instead.

I also stretch alot more now to make sure and stay more limber and pain free.

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 04:19 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie2191 View Post
I also stretch alot more now to make sure and stay more limber and pain free.
I stretch out my IT band, psoas, and piriformis muscles every morning first thing, while my tea steeps.
I'll do some yoga after my tea and a CS workout later on.

As English Ivy mentioned, if you do any Leslie, or use a rebounder, stretching the psoas muscles becomes really important.
Old 12-31-11, 05:22 PM  
MM-Om

Kim- I was also told by my doc (chiropractor) not to do any deadlifts. They are the most risky exercises one can do for the back.
Can you please explain how you do hip rises. Thanks!
Old 12-31-11, 06:35 PM  
Artist of Eyes

FMS Pain and prior injury to those areas.

I had a bad accident when I was 19 or 20 and I inured my lower back and hip (right hip). In fact, I chipped the bone. Years later when I found this area to be so bad with pain and tightness, this is were most of my FMS pain is now. I went to a Physical Therapist as they are trained to help with muscle flares, strengthening and stretching the muscle, as well as how to teach clients to continue to improve after services. Chiros only wanted to "adjust" me. I learned that Foam Rolling my IT bands helps leaps and bounds! It hurts like a SOB for the first few rolls but after a while it's like sweet awesomeness! I started foam rolling my lower back and shoulders and it just gets right into those tight spots and helps break up the fascia. I bought mine from Powersystems.com and it's very, very sturdy and doesn't breakdown over time. Stetching in Pigeon Pose as well as the straight-leg runners stretches work wonders.

To help strengthen the area use Cathe's Firewalker Bands or a band tied into a circle and do:
* Side Steps
* Walking Squats (same as side steps but your squatting into the step)
* Toe Touches on a High Step PLatform approx 14-18 inches- You stand on top of the platform and slowly lower down and barely touch your toe to the ground then straighten back bring the foot back to the top of the platform; a reverse step up if you will
* Toe Taps with or without the band. You Stand straight and balance on one foot. Touch your toe straight in front, then to the side, then behind you- a 3 point slow tap.
* balance moves- balance boards, Bosu or standing on one foot. Do various balance movements like side taps, single leg squats, balance while standing on a pillow.

Work your core and your hips while stretching the muscles and ligaments. It'll really help!

EDIT: I will add from experience with my injuries Deadlifts were a saving grace as were Good Mornings! I just had to make sure to not go too heavy! They are an excellent back and hamstring strengthener!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 07:17 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
I will add from experience with my injuries Deadlifts were a saving grace as were Good Mornings! I just had to make sure to not go too heavy! They are an excellent back and hamstring strengthener!
My chiropractor became enthused once when I mentioned I did DLs. He said that was fine, just don't lean backwards when I come up. But everyone is different. GMs are good too as long as one doesn't go heavy. Even doing GMs w/o added weight works by putting your hands to your ears and drawing your elbows back. (I'm presently doing DLs 'suitcase' style because, try as I might to keep my shoulders retracted other kinds DLs bother my RCs.)

Think this is a great thread!
Old 12-31-11, 07:51 PM  
normandy

Judith -- What are "suitcase style" deadlifts?
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 07:54 PM  
Artist of Eyes

I do them with a KB at the gym or by placing a dumbbell on an 8-10 inch platform. You bend at the knees and pick up the object like you would a suitcase, pushing through the heels which targets the hamstrings and glutes nicely.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 08:28 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy View Post
Judith -- What are "suitcase style" deadlifts?
Essentially, they're when you're lifting weights at your sides. Usually, one side at a time -- see Steve Maxwell doing several here.
I hold weights on both sides.

(I'm taking the term "suitcase" almost literally. I bought mini boat tote bags from LLBean which are guaranteed to hold up to 500 lbs. and put all sorts of weights into them. With the handles a little more than a foot from the floor it makes them very convenient and this way I can increase the weight more incrementally. -- I got rid of all my kettlebells when my RC worsened.)
Old 12-31-11, 08:46 PM  
normandy

Thanks Judith -- and Artist, you too. I seem to be following you around tonight!
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, psoas, yoga squat