Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-11, 04:21 PM  
joycet
VF Supporter

I went in 2009 as well. It is a really fun weekend with lots of great workouts, activities and fellow vidiots!
joycet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 04:34 PM  
Elise7

There is a detailed schedule and menu posted on her website.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 04:41 PM  
spufflez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise7 View Post
There is a detailed schedule and menu posted on her website.
It is from July 29- July 31. Actually, the car pool sounds cool. I will try to get a ticket tomorrow.
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 05:07 PM  
bearcatfan

Aw man, I wanna go!

If I was within a couple hours' drive time, I'd be there.
Old 02-17-11, 05:18 PM  
stewie

Those of you who've been there ~ are there are shapes and sizes, beg-int-advanced? Or is this an advanced only type of deal? I've looked at the schedule and I'm scared!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 05:21 PM  
orphylea

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Those of you who've been there ~ are there are shapes and sizes, beg-int-advanced? Or is this an advanced only type of deal? I've looked at the schedule and I'm scared!
There are a lot of fit people, make no mistake, but I really felt that there were a large range of ages and body types at the RT. The workouts are Cathe, so they are advanced, but she seemed conscious of different fitness levels and I would say that most of the workouts were at the lower intensity end of her spectrum.

STS Grad
P90X Dropout
18 week CLX rotation finished
Currently loving Amy's Drop Sets and Cathe's STS TB
orphylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 05:28 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

I went in July 2010, I loved it! I saw that they don't have as many classes this year (or so it appears anyway), I think I did 7 or 8 classes, most on Saturday! loved every minute and I'm no spring chicken (I was 57).

The cost does NOT include hotel. You have to book your own room and pay for it. There are usually threads at the cathe.com forum looking for roommates.
I stayed at the marriott residence, without a roommate. I'm too old for roommates. IIRC it wasn't that much (relatively speaking) they do give you a break for being on the Cathe RT.
I do plan on signing up again.

I'm about a 4-5 hour drive away, depending on traffic (I have to drive thru NYC).

ETA I just found my program from last year.

On Friday we had an hour class that was 30 minutes of step and 30 minutes of kickbox.
Later on Friday there was a "Pajama Nightcap Stretch" class, 45 minutes.

Saturday:
60 minutes: 50 of step + 10 abs
40 minutes of bootcamp (which ended up being almost an hour for my group)
40 minutes of spinning
45 minutes of Yoga
60 minutes: 30 minutes Cardio Core Circuit + 30 minutes Intense Upper Body conditioning
45 minutes of Zumba (which was my first Zumba and only about 25% finished the class, including myself! it was FUN)

Sunday 60 minutes of Lower Body Blast with Plyometric Bursts

So - that was actually 9 workout sessions. Cathe did not lead the spinning or the Zumba, but she led everything else.

I was one of the "older" ones there...I loved every minute.
Old 02-17-11, 05:34 PM  
stewie

Thanks Patti and Barbara P ~ I may just give this a shot!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 10:59 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

I just saw this announcement and was astounded that only the first 105 get in! I planned the very first Cathe road trip in 1998 and there were ELEVEN of us (including the now-famous Brenda!). I can't imagine going with that many people! I think it's cool that she visits other cities, though, so everyone can get in on it.

Donna H
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 01:00 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have been on a few Cathe roadtrips.

The roadtrips were a chance to get away for a weekend and be with other people who enjoy working out. It's only about a 3-hour drive for me so transportation wasn't a problem. Also, I used points for the hotel. The only cost for me was the $249 registration fee which included Cathe's classes, and lunch and dinner. It is expensive if you have to pay for the registration, plus the hotel, plus airfare. It would probably be better to wait until Cathe comes to a city closer to where you live. Also, if you can afford paying for registration, hotel and transportation, I think it would be more enjoyable at one of the resorts because the Glassboro, NJ roadtrip is all done inside the gym, and all meals and activities are inside the windowless studio, which has black walls and a lot of tables jammed in together.

There is a lot of exercise happening on the weekend. It's not designed for beginners and the majority of people are seasoned Cathe exercisers. Not everyone is advanced, but since the weekend is mainly about exercising, I think it is better to have a good fitness base (cardio and strength) before going. On every roadtrip I've been on, people have gotten injured. One year, during the first class, which was Friday night step, one person fell within the first few minutes and broke her ankle. In the classes, there are a lot of people jammed into the room, the music is loud and it's hard to hear Cathe's cues, and it's impossible to see her unless you are one of the lucky few who are in or near the front.

There is usually a stretch class after dinner on Friday night. There are some tough classes on Saturday, including a bootcamp which requires a lot of energy because it consists of various drills, Cathe style. I took spinning last year, taught by a different instructor. I also took yoga, taught by a different instructor, which was relaxing after several tough classes. There was a Zumba class on Saturday night, but it was given very late, after everyone had showered and changed; it was taught by a different instructor who was great, and I wished it had been given earlier in the day, when we were wearing our workout clothes.

There are a lot of people on the roadtrip. You meet nice people, but there are cliques. A lot of people already know each other from previous roadtrips and have formed tables already.

I think that for the money, it's better to go to a fitness convention where you can take a lot of different classes with great instructors, and have more activities to do in the evening (like AAAI-ISMA in Atlantic City or ECA World Fitness in NYC); you can also get a fitness certification and continuing education credits at conventions, but cannot do that on a Cathe roadtrip. You can take other people with you to a fitness convention but I don't recommend taking other people with you on a Cathe roadtrip unless they are participating in the whole weekend.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe road trip