Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-02-20, 10:09 PM  
TonyaK

Moms of school-aged kids and tweenagers, July 2020

Hi friends!

I'm trying to get myself to work out every day by going a bit easier. I've been pushing to do my best on my STS workouts, and I feel really accomplished when I'm done, but then I'm wiped out for two or three days afterward. I've decided I'd be better off lightening up my weights a bit or stopping early if I feel really tired, and then being able to do something the next day.

The other day I did STS Back and Biceps. I skipped the pull-ups and lightened up the weights a little bit.
Today I did Low Max and a short yoga with Ana Brett.

Pratima, you might enjoy this: I did the first day of Couch to 5K and I could only do 5 of the 8 minutes of jogging! I had to walk the rest. My lungs were tired, one of my leg bones started to ache, my foot hurt, and one hip flexor started to cramp up. I may have to spend more than one week repeating the Week 1 workouts! I thought of your very impressive runs and had to laugh at myself!
Ugh!! at your DH and the bike tire.
I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. There are so many disappointments this summer! And this year.
Has your school sent any info about their plan for this fall? I don't know how it will all work out. I was reading info about CU's plans (I went to law school there so they send me a lot of emails) and it sounds interesting. They are going to try to divide the freshmen into cohorts who will live in the dorms together, go to classes together, and hopefully socialize with each other. Their elective classes will be online, so they won't have to mingle with other students. They can still have a "college experience" but with a limited number of friends, classmates, dormmates, etc... I'm curious about what different strategies schools and colleges will try, and what will work.
Fingers crossed about those jobs!

Stephanie, I'm glad you are getting back into your design course! I hope it will be fun
Has it gotten super humid there?
It will be awesome if you get your boys cooking! I've seen Pratima's kids are making some good stuff and I am jealous! Mine only want to help by tasting baked goods.
My kids are on their screens A LOT. I have been trying to get them to do other things, but they are so whiny, and they fight and cry so much, it's quite a battle. I shouldn't have let it get to this point!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 04:55 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends! I've only worked out two more times since my last post.
Sunday: STS 19, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Saturday: STS 20, Legs and STS 21, Back and Biceps

Today I skipped a few exercises and I lightened up my weights so I could do both workouts. I'm going to try to get up early tomorrow and go for a walk before it gets hot. And then keep it up every day! I know I will love it once I get started, but some days it is hard to get out of bed early. I am feeling the endorphins right now, so it is easy to make big plans - haha!

I hope you are doing well!
Old 07-14-20, 04:44 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Oy, I didn't even realize it was a new month until we were about a week into it!

TonyaK, thank you for starting the thread. If it makes you feel better, I've only been running once, maybe twice a week, totaling 4-7 miles! It is HOT here, even at 5 AM. If you do want to get running though, walk all you need to! You don't ever have to build up to only running. It takes a long time for your joints, muscles, etc. to adapt.

We did finally hear from our district. Students go back 7/27 as they would have otherwise but only online. A couple of other districts pushed their starts back to the following week. Right now, the governor isn't allowing in-person public school until August 17, and things might even change before then. One district already made the call to wait until mid-October for in-person.

This, of course, is a huge issue for working parents. Many companies are still working remotely but not all. One interview I had, the woman said they are working remotely but would want the person in the new position to work in the office initially. Which is weird, because it sounds like no one else is?? Anyway, that would be likely eventually and might not match up with what the kids are doing.

So yeah, I'm not outside much other than swimming. It suddenly got really hot here last week, and the lows are now over 80. Plus I have no reason to get up super early so I'm not!

I did this week start a challenge from Burn Bootcamp. It's a 30 day thing, you just track your meals, do I think at least 4 Burn workouts a week, and then have a daily challenge, like 2 minutes of jump squats. I printed out the packet they sent and my favorite part of it is where it says: Send a gratitude video/text to at least 1 person each day. I like the idea of reaching out in a positive way every day!

I've had interviews with 3 companies so far--ASU, Sonora Quest Labs, and CGCC. ASU sent me the "thanks but we don't want you" email last week. Which is OK, I didn't feel like I fit in there. Sonora Quest was a 30 minute call with a lady Friday afternoon. She asked for samples which I sent over the weekend. Haven't heard from her again but will email her tomorrow if I still haven't.

Had a second interview with CGCC today. They had me put together a presentation. I went back and forth between annoyed at having to work and enjoying it. I had all kinds of technical issues--kept losing audio and then video for a bit--but I pulled it off. Even had to use my cell phone as a hotspot and call in on my landline. At the end, he talked about next steps and thanked me for my presentation and I couldn't tell whether he was like "Yes! We love you," or "Thanks and we'll never talk to YOU again."

Waiting is the worst! I should hear back in a week.

My kids are on screens a ton too. I still give them a list of stuff to do but they have gotten surprisingly fast at completing those tasks. We do try to swim about 3 times a week in the neighbor's pool. DD is still going to gymnastics and DS doing taekwondo online.

Such strange times, aren't they? mbramer and Stephanie, I hope you both drop in!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 01:23 PM  
TonyaK

Hello!

Pratima, thanks for the running/walking encouragement! It is really helpful to remember that I might need to have walking intervals for a long time or forever. And yes, I definitely feel like all my joints, ligaments, etc... are wondering what is going on.

I'm crossing my fingers that you find a great job! I hope you will at least find a good one to hold you over, if you want to keep looking for a perfect fit. That sounds SUPER weird that you would have to go to an office if no one else were there! Why??

It's so interesting to hear what different school districts are planning for the return to school. We are supposed to get "The Plan" emailed to us next week. I am repainting and rearranging our loft room, where the kids' desks are. We got them both new chromebooks, so we will be ready for distance learning or just doing homework. We want to send them to school, but I bet it will close down at least once if people there get the virus. I'm sure this will be a weird school year!
I feel super lucky that I'm a stay-at-home mom and can adapt to whatever happens. So many families cannot easily adjust to kids being home and needing help with school all day long! (Not to mention, having computers for each kid, internet access, a printer, etc...)

I've been on two walks this week, one for about an hour and one for half an hour. After my leg workout, my body did not want to run! Yesterday I skipped it and just worked on the loft. Today it is nice out and I want to get out and walk! I am baking banana bread and then I will get outside. It's cloudy and only about 80 degrees. It feels wonderful!
Old 07-15-20, 01:32 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, I just got an email from the place that would have me work in the office. She wants to do a longer interview (we did a 30 minute phone call Friday) and offered me the choice of Zoom or in-office. I'd like to see the office but am weirdly anxious about going now! I told her I can definitely do next Wed. via Zoom and asked about masks and such. I think it'd be tough to make a great impression wearing a mask.

I am SO jealous of your weather! I made it out for a run this morning. It was 85 at 5:30 AM! I was out about 35 minutes and then headed in for a leg workout.

Are your kids still at a charter school? Are they governed by a district or only by state/local laws? Here, the governor has limited what public schools can do. However, I've started seeing districts offering basically daycare--kids can go there and do online school. They're in small groups with staff members and I guess the staff members are essentially babysitters. I can't imagine how that will go with some of the things you mention--technology, etc.

It was so tough when I was working! Everyone was doing ALL these Zoom calls, like suddenly they needed to do that to see people, plus I was managing my kids and doing the ridiculous pile of paperwork my boss had dumped on me. I guess at least at a new job, it'll be the actual job I signed up for and by now they have better things in place (maybe) for remote employees.

Random but I noticed that the THREE positions advertised to replace me are all listed as in-office. They can't even be at the office here--they have to be in Tucson with the director.

TonyaK, I almost sent you a text yesterday. I spent half the day cleaning the kitchen and as soon as he came downstairs, DH started frying vegetables with a bunch of oil that was flying everywhere! I was yelling at him about the stove. And no, he didn't wipe it down.

On a related note, I am SO SICK of cooking! Anyone else? I didn't realize how much of a break it was for the kids to have lunch at school.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 07-15-20, 08:12 PM  
mbramer

Hi, Pratima and Tonya!

Tonya, I remember doing Couch to 5K a couple times. The last time was the May/June after I moved here. I had to quit after a week or so because I was so exhausted. Turned out I was pregnant with DS1 and just didn't know it yet. I hope you got your walk in!

Pratima, I am super impressed that you've gotten all those interviews! That's awesome! It is really weird that the one job would want you to be in the office right away. Maybe they do some super top-secret training?

We haven't heard anything about K-12 here. Well, that's not exactly true. Here's the message we got: "School this fall will either be entirely online, entirely in person, or some combination of the two." That really doesn't help with planning. I almost think I have to keep teaching through the year even with the layoff next May just because I need the flexibility to be here with the boys if they're only in school physically part time or not at all.

I was hoping to be able to come back and say that my divorce was finalized, I had a new job, and I was moving, but none of that happened. My divorce is still in process (9 months now), though it's nearing the end. Either my STBX (soon to be ex) signs this version of the divorce agreement, or our court date is Monday, July 27. So it'll be over soon. I didn't get the job with the homework assignment and 2nd interview. In hindsight, though, I don't think it would have been a good fit. I haven't had any other interviews, though I know people have been looking at my LinkedIn Profile. Changing professions is difficult. At this point, I'm looking at possibly going back to school for K-12 Administration, but the programs typically require 3 years of teaching experience. I have 11, but in higher ed. So, we'll see. And STBX won't let me move to be closer to family unless I have a job, and there's no way a judge would let me go without one.

So, it's a time of transitions. I continue with my sporadic yet simple workouts, and that seems about right at the moment.
Old 07-24-20, 10:32 AM  
TonyaK

Hi all! I hurt my neck (strained it and then maybe slept on it wrong) and I haven't been up to do much other than stretching and massaging it. I went on a couple brief walks, but that's it! It started on Sunday, and I was disappointed to wake up today and find that it still hurt. One of these days, it will just be back to normal (I hope!) I still can't look all the way to the right, and I can't tip my ear to my shoulder on that side, but I'm getting a lot closer!

Pratima, my kids switched to public school last year and it was a really good decision. I love their current school. I think the charter school can do what they want, but they tend to be pretty influenced by the school district.

It is amazing that they need three people to replace you!! How is your job searching going? I would feel strange doing an interview in a mask - I'm at home so much that I haven't gotten super used to wearing them.

Feel free to text any time! Ugh at DH for frying stuff right after you cleaned! And not cleaning up! After the kitchen is cleaned, everyone should just fast for a couple days so it stays clean for a while And YES, I am so tired of cooking. I'm also tired of takeout.

mbramer, Did I know that you were getting divorced?? I'm so sorry that your STBX is making the divorce even harder! Sending so many hugs.

I guffawed at your district's message! Yep, there will be some kind of school. Oh man, what a nightmare for the people who have to decide what to do, and take responsibility for it, and none of us knows what will happen or what the right answer is. I hope you get some more information soon! It is awful for us parents, trying to plan and decide what to do, and weigh the risks without enough information. And then I imagine being a kid and wanting to see my friends and wondering what is going on. What a crazy time!

Stephanie, I hope you are recovering well from your broken collarbone! Do you have any prediction about when you will be back to normal?
Old 07-24-20, 11:38 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all. I'm having a rough day. Just so annoyed at being the "cruise director." Have any of you read the blog posts about the "mental load" of moms? I think I'm overloaded. You'd think it'd be easier without work but the pressure of trying to find a job isn't helping.

I feel like I'm managing everyone's everything, which has sort of always been the case, but without any outlet, you know? I'm sure you all relate. I feel like we have DONE IT ALL. Crafts, walks, swim, drive-by friend sightings, movies, cooking, cleaning.

School does start Monday, fully online. And that's sort of a whole other thing. DS's two best buddies are both switching to a different school, apparently for some imagined advantage of that school. I feel bad for him and I also feel like all he has in some ways. As far as school itself, it'll be rough. Better than in March, but rough. And yesterday the governor basically passed the buck to the districts to figure out how to proceed.

Ugh, it sucks.

Stephanie, I keep trying to picture how you fell and injured yourself! I hope you're recovering well and as I said, wish I was closer so I could help.

TonyaK, so have you heard anything about school yet? How is it there--are the cases declining?

mbramer, I'll be thinking about you Monday. I think the interviews I got were just chance. ASU turned me down in the end. I'm waiting to hear from a couple of others. The community college was supposed to tell me by Wednesday whether I move on to stage 3 and hasn't. The other place (Sonora Quest lab) is supposed to let me know first week of August.

I did order a new spin bike. Got tired of putting my bike on the trainer. Of course everyone else is buying them too so it won't arrive until at least September! I've seen a couple on FB marketplace but am wary of buying used. Maybe if I could get a really great deal it'd be worth it.

Hope everyone is hanging in there. I guess that's the best we can do these days!

Old 08-02-20, 05:41 PM  
TonyaK

hi all!

Yesterday I did a few chest exercises, abs, and stretching. I'm easing back into exercise since I hurt my neck. It feels a lot better, but it is still stiff and it hurts quite a bit when I first wake up.

I decided to have my kids learn from home this semester. DH got on board on the last day we could decide, and I just felt like it was the right choice. It will be hard to be their cheerleader every day, but I hope they will do the work for their teachers, like they always have when going to school. The district pushed back the start date to September 1st now (the original date was August 12th or 13th). This is going to continue to be an interesting year! Each of my kids has a couple of friends who we know will also be learning from home, and who we are comfortable socializing with. We are on the same level of social distancing, so it feels safe to let them play together. They should be able to get together during the school year, so they won't be completely isolated. I hope it will work okay!

Pratima, I saw that you got your bike! How do you like it so far?

You asked if cases were declining here. As of a couple days ago, they were increasing. The Governor decided to make all bars stop serving alcohol at 10:00 pm to try to cut down on the spread. Denver is actually issuing tickets for people who aren't wearing masks. Now if they would shut down the borders, we could keep all the tourists out - JK! sorta. In the mountain towns, 25% of people there are from Texas. Many of the tourists refuse to wear masks or keep a distance, and are absolutely flooding the quaint little ski towns. That's not helping prevent COVID-19! On the other hand, those towns rely on tourism to stay alive, so they kind of need those Texans. The whole state benefits from people spending money here. The Texans are probably so happy to be in a dry, cooler environment for a vacation! I remember visiting Austin a long time ago in the summer, walking outside and immediately feeling drenched. It was so hot and SO humid. I'm so used to Colorado weather now, I would probably pass out if I went there.

mbramer, have you heard anything about your kids' school? I hope your court date went the way you wanted it to go!
Old 08-03-20, 12:32 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Started a new thread to last us two months!

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229191