Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-09-20, 08:08 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Power Walk 2 Miles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf1Q8nep6JU

I believe this one is from Leslies Walk 15 DVD set. I don't have that set and don't plan on buying it but I enjoyed this walk. First half was led by Rocky and second one by Leslie. Total 28 minutes and that's all I had the time for this morning.

I have to go to the office today again. That makes it 3 times this week. So much for being "retired" but there are many urgent issues that must be taken care of this week. Maybe I can scale it back next week.

Another very hot and humid day today. Sigh....

Waves to all!
Old 07-10-20, 07:07 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thursday's workouts were:

Pahla B - 31 Day Challenge - Weight Loss for Women Over 50 - Day 4 - 25 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Empower & Thrive Pilates - 12 minutes

Pahla's workout was a walking with weights workout - 1 minute walking, 30 seconds of a weighted move. My right shoulder was bothering me a bit so I dropped down to 1.5 pound weights (from a little over 2 pounds) and it made all the difference. Weird.

Super hot yesterday - 107 officially, 109 on my side of town and 115 in the Canyon south of us where it is always hotter. No relief in sight! You know it's going to be hot when you notice that it is already 102 at 12:30.

Dana - I do have the Walk15 set and I like it. It's basically a bunch of miles led by Leslie and her 3 other walk leaders - it isn't chaptered, which annoys me since I would never do a 4 or 5 mile walk, but do do the individual miles on those walks. Retired? They obviously need you.

Cheri - Nice job!

Donna - You will get a handle on that job! Give yourself some grace - you've only been doing the new stuff for a short time. I find Pahla very motivating as well. I will listen to her weekly 2 hour Q & A's, which I never would have thought that I would do.

Waves to Beth, Christine and Linda!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 07:19 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B - Day 16 of the 31 Day Program - it was a straight up strength training workout

Jessica Valent - Lift those Buns Pilates & 5 Min Shoulders. The shoulder workout was very hand/wrist intensive, being all floor work, so not a great one if you have hand/wrist issues. Jessica does mention this in the beginning. The buns workout was some standing work and then some floor work - lots of bridges. I notice Jessica does lots and lots of bridge work - I guess not surprising since she is a PT and PTs tend to like that work for glutes and hips.

Yesterday I did Pahla's new 25 min indoor walk for some extra steps and Jessica's Pilates for PMS/Cramps - which was just basically a relaxing Pilates type stretching routine.

Glad it is Friday!

Carol - yes, thanks for the reminder about grace! In time it will come together I'm sure. I'm considering doing some sort of Pahla rotation next. I really find her comforting, motivating and encouraging. I may just do her Mini Challenges or maybe look into one of the programs I bought. I was considering Jessica's Summer of Strength, but not sure I feel like doing that. Pahla is low dread for me whereas Summer of Strength has a bit of dread to be honest! I'd like to make the time for a few long steady state cardios each week, too, as those are relaxiing to me.

Cheri - I guess employee training is no one's priority! I'm doing a lot of on-line training for my new job, but it isn't the best - at least i can print out the guides though so that will help.

Dana - I hope you can scale back next week.

Waves, everyone

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 08:14 AM  
cherimac

PN Pilates for Self Love Yummy hip opening work, back work, and twists in this one~along with great total body stuff, of course.

Donna~we have online training stuff that is somewhat interactive. My manager has been doing this for 19 years so her way of teaching or showing you is to fly through it and think you have it, ha. I need the whys of things and to see how the big picture fits together.

Happy Friday, everyone!
Old 07-10-20, 10:12 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning,

Nothing for me so far. Last night we had some storms come through and we lost power at about 7p and it wasn't restored until 8am this morning. It was a miserable, hot and sticky night and I didn't sleep well. I'm tired and crabby and even my cat Basil is irritable! We've lived here for almost 14 years and we've had powerfuls storms before and once or twice we lost power for maybe 30 minutes but nothing like this. Thirteen hours without power and it was in the 90s and humid! It's unlikely that I'll work out today because I'm just tired but the house is cooling off quickly so that a plus. No storms today thank goodness!

Waves to all!
Old 07-11-20, 08:07 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Friday's workouts were:

Pahla B - 31 Day Challenge - Weight Loss for Women Over 50 - Day 5 - 22 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Happy Hips & Blissful Back - 30 minutes

Pahla's workout alternated between cardio intervals and strength intervals - 40 second intervals of each followed by 20 second rest intervals.

Smriti's newest 30 minute workout Happy Hips & Blissful Back used the small ball. I enjoyed the workout - it was fresh and had a lot of moves I hadn't seen her use much. It was a little more challenging than most of her workouts - it included the rollover, roll up, and a front leg pull support move using the ball that was way out of my range of ability. Next time I'll do that one without the ball. Both the rollover and the roll up are impossible for me, although I can do a roll up with light weights in my hands...

I'm having a bit of a barre craving, so Pahla may go on the back burner for a while, plus my right shoulder is hurting a bit from all of her moves having your hands above your head holding weights. We will see.

We are headed for 108 degrees today, with a 115 or higher predicted at nearby Palo Duro Canyon. I can't even imagine it. There are probably folks down there camping... If I am going to walk today, I need to get with it.

Dana - Bummer! Thank heavens it was mostly in the evening time that your power and AC were out. Glad your house cooled back down quickly. Having my AC break this time of year is something I do actually have nightmares about.

Cheri - Nice job! I'm looking forward to some 20 minute workouts from Smriti. I generally want to do more than 10 minutes, but often don't want to do 30 minutes.

Donna - Good work! Yes, Jessica's Summer of Strength rotation filled me with dread too, even after finishing the Calm & Strong rotation. As for Jessica Valant's pilates work, I think I remember a lot of her stuff being wrist intensive. I think that's one reason I so like Smriti's pilates workouts - hers is generally not horribly wrist/hand intensive, which is a deal breaker for me these days.

Waves ~

Carol
Old 07-11-20, 09:15 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

I slept like a log last night in a nice cool house! I have a new appreciation for electricity and comforts of life that I so often take for granted.

BBFIT 40 Minute Low Impact Cardio with optional ankle weights which I didn't use. It was a full body toning workout and the reason it was called cardio is because it was non-stop and kept your heart rate elevated at all times. There were some moves that were done on all 4s. I did some and modified others which was easy to do. I really enjoyed this workout and it was quite challenging for me.

BBFIT 15 Minute Arm Blast. Another great workout with light weights. It was all standing and I used 3 lbs. Loved it!

I have to run now. Enjoy your weekend everyone!
Old 07-11-20, 09:49 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

"Leslie" - Walk-Run-Lift 40 min workout - I decided to try this one out before my free trial ends. It was set up differently than the other two in that the first half was the walk-run part and the second half was the "lift" part. The second half felt a bit disorganized at at one point, I think the vocal audio dropped off - not clear if that was intentional or not as it looked like Rocky was speaking but we couldn't hear her. The outfits in this one were far better than the 20 minute workout and the music was better, too, although not great. So I'm glad I tried these but if there is an option to buy them on DVD in the future I will probably not do that - they are "ok" but I have better options for circuits.

Trifecta Pilates - Foundational Flow - this was a beginner/refresher class, it was ok. A bit boring to be honest. I think Beth does her best when she is working w/ various "toys" in Pilates. I enjoyed the one where she used the BOSU. I may try another one of her longer workouts tomorrow - there is one she has where she uses weights and a foam roller.

Carol - I also get the 'bug' to do different workouts so that is probably why I'm happiest when I'm just picking what I want to do each day. if/when life returns to normal I'll probably want more structure just so I can be efficient in deciding what to do. I upgraded my JV subscription to a yearly subscription. I like her stuff well enough and it is easy for me to fit in her workouts into whatever else I'm doing. What barre workouts are you looking at?

Dana - Although it has been a few years, we have had days long power outages here. Not fun.

Cheri - Our on-line training is sort of sad...but at least I can print out the info to keep as a reference.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 09:04 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Mon: cleaned whole house... dusted, vacuumed, mopped
Tue: 30 min walk/yoga
Wed: 30 min. walk
Thu: 15 min. step
Fri: 30 min. walk
Sat: 40 min. step/weights

In theory I'm doing the Summer of Strength rotation except I didn't do any of the workouts this week. At least I still did something.

I meant to check in more often this week but then life got away from me. The week felt really busy. My almost 16 yr old is having his wisdom teeth out Monday so I'll be spending time nursing him, making jello, the works. That teethy emoticon seems strangely appropriate...

I'm sorry so many are suffering from the heat! Summer has yet to arrive in Western WA. It was 65F and cloudy today and the forecast is for ~70F for at least the next 10 days. It's weird.

Linda, nice to see you! No worries if your workouts are different. I rarely do a 100% pilates workout and I've been allowed to stay.

Waves to everybody!!

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 08:21 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Can you tell I was bored yesterday? I did:

Walk - 40 minutes (early in the day before it got to 109 degrees);
Barre 3 - Strength Conditioning with Marrisa 7/8/20 - 30 minutes;
Pahla B - 31 Day Challenge - Weight Loss for Women Over 50 - Day 6 - 23 minutes

The Barre 3 workout wasn't as bad as some of the stuff they were putting out right after the website revamp - still it isn't exactly what I'm craving. At least the instructor didn't speak in Portlandia (Portland Oregon new age dialect). I may try the Fittbe girl's Barre workouts - I think there are a few I can try for free before subscribing to her BarreBe app. Barre3 just doesn't feel like barre anymore, at least the shorter workouts don't feel like it to me. They are definitely more into the fusion arena - but not nearly as good as Jessica Smith's fusion workouts.

Even though I listened to one of Pahla's podcasts when I was walking earlier, I still needed a Pahla fix. Day 6 was a standing ab workout that had a slight cardio effect, but it wasn't too bad. I think it may be Pahla's arm circles warmup & cooldown move that has irritated my shoulder. I'm going to skip that move until my shoulder is feeling better & use lighter weights on that side (or none at all) and then once it is better I'll do considerably fewer arm circles than Pahla does.

Brenda - LOL about your Summer of Strength rotation! Wishing your son a speedy recovery from his wisdom teeth surgery. I remember those days...

Donna - Variety is definitely good, both mentally and physically. As for barre - I'm really craving some Bar Method barre, but they don't have many 30 minute (or less) classes that are full body. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Dana - Isn't electricity and air conditioning wonderful? My son and I were just talking yesterday about the folks that settled out here in the 1880s or so and the hardships that they suffered. We can't even begin to imagine it, spoiled that we are!

Waves to Linda and Cheri!

Carol