Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-20, 02:57 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question COVID-19: Non-essential essentials...

We all know the essential items in a disaster.

Food. Water. Shelter. (And, (who knew?) toilet paper!)

What are some of the non-essential items that you worry about running out of? For me it is cheese, I love cheese and I was bummed when we were about out. Luckily, Trader Joe's had my favorite cheddar cheese sticks in stock the other day.

For my DH, it is cookies. He is a cookie monster and not having any is not a good thing. We are fine for now.

It sounds so ridiculous to whine about non-essential items. I just feel that "comfort foods" and other "comfort" things can be essential sometimes.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:08 PM  
muggle

Peanut M n M’s!! Medicine for hubby and dogs. Dog treats. And yes...comfort food for dinner. Oh, and something to get the hair off my lip since the salons are closed.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:18 PM  
anetta

Tea. Fresh fruit cottage cheese:

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:19 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My patience with my husband who is also furloughed. Bad timing!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:26 PM  
sherry7899

Books, music and dvds. Luckily we already have more than enough!

Alta, I am with you on cheese. I bought delicious Havarti cheese at Aldi a few days ago. I miss going to Trader Joe's! We are staying more local.

I am trying to not stress bake. I am a chcoholic. I gave in to it too much in the past week and I need to stop. I normally give away some of what I bake, and I cannot do that now. We do not have freezer space to freeze anything.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:28 PM  
laurajhawk

I don't normally bake, but once in a while I'll get a pastry as a treat from a coffee shop. Suddenly I find myself craving pastries. It turns out that Pop-Tarts satisfy about half the craving.

Coffee is generally recognized as essential - right??

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:37 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My patience with my husband who is also furloughed. Bad timing!
Yes, my DH is also getting quite antsy. He does work tomorrow, though. He has to be doing SOMETHING all the time.

I have an ample supply of M&Ms of many varieties, but they don't qualify as Non Essential in my house. The same goes for peanut butter. Definitely Essential. We are still rationing our Girl Scout cookies, and I actually have the ingredients on hand to make gingerbread.

This time of year I put frozen fruit on cereal for breakfast since local fresh isn't readily available. It's hard to find frozen fruit in the stores now.

I'm with you on the cheese, VVFer. I just made black bean soup and it wouldn't be the same without cheddar cheese.

Oh yes, coffee is definitely, most definitely an essential for us too. I bought a lot awhile back before the coronavirus at a warehouse type sale so we are set for several months fortunately.

None of knows how long we will need to isolate ourselves, so it's tough to calculate how much to have on hand!

Last edited by cataddict; 03-25-20 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:37 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I don't normally bake, but once in a while I'll get a pastry as a treat from a coffee shop. Suddenly I find myself craving pastries. It turns out that Pop-Tarts satisfy about half the craving.

Coffee is absolutely essential! (I'm tea drinker, so I'll put tea in that category as well.)

Don't take away my caffeine.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:43 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I just went to my state farmer's market and there is a TON of cheese!! Lots of other things that people are probably looking for and maybe not realizing they could probably find them there. It was completely dead, and I feel bad for the vendors whose businesses are suffering there. I wonder if people assume the farmer's market is closed?

ETA: They also had a lot of sweets and baked goods!
Old 03-25-20, 03:44 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ho...mon-pop-tarts/

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19