Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-19, 07:27 PM  
bfit

OT:Is it important that a pet sitter be "certified"?

Our pet sitter who worked with a small local company quit, and they have not found someone yet to cover our geographic area so we are looking for someone else. So many of the pet sitters and companies seem not to be certified. My husband says this is not important, but I think it is. Any thoughts?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 07:49 PM  
Gams

I don’t think it’s important because being certified won’t guarantee anything. There are only a couple people I would allow to care for my pets and they are people I know personally and know that they feel the same way about animals as I do. Is this an ongoing daily thing or a one time thing while you’re on vacation?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 10:50 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I didn't even know that pet sitters could be certified. I have horses so we have to find people through friends or even ads (long ago). You can ask for references. Have you called your vet or other local vets? Some vet techs pet sit as a side job.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 06:59 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
Have you called your vet or other local vets? Some vet techs pet sit as a side job.
We have always used friends or family for pet sitting. However, I agree with the suggestion above. I know one of our local animal hospitals had several techs that would pet sit the last time we were there.
Old 11-13-19, 07:23 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I think it depends on whether you know the sitter. If you don't know them, then being certified might give you some level of comfort; on the other hand, I can think of several folks I know who are not certified but I would trust them with my pets.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 07:47 AM  
Tugger31

True story here. There is a man that lives in my neighborhood who owns his own pet sitting company that is certified. He himself has a dog that he walks past our house every morning. And, most every morning, he lets the dog poop in our yard and he doesn't clean it up!! I'd never give him my business!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 08:20 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Our pet sitter is certified and bonded. Her employees are, as well. I don’t think it’s necessary if you have someone you already know and trust, but the relatives that we knew and trusted didn’t always come through for us. Our pet nanny met with us for about an hour, went through the house identifying locations of fuse boxes, etc., noted veterinarian name/location, cat carriers, local emergency contacts, etc. She sends us resumes of any new hires and doesn’t use them for us unless we approve. The sitter emails pictures and leaves notes after every 30-minute visit. We all love our sitters!

Our vet tech offered to pet sit, and I’d also trust her.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 08:44 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Certified by whom?
Old 11-13-19, 09:19 AM  
Betty Boop

Who does these certifications? I've never heard of this.
Old 11-13-19, 11:09 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Our pet sitter is certified and bonded. Her employees are, as well. I don’t think it’s necessary if you have someone you already know and trust, but the relatives that we knew and trusted didn’t always come through for us. Our pet nanny met with us for about an hour, went through the house identifying locations of fuse boxes, etc., noted veterinarian name/location, cat carriers, local emergency contacts, etc. She sends us resumes of any new hires and doesn’t use them for us unless we approve. The sitter emails pictures and leaves notes after every 30-minute visit. We all love our sitters!

Our vet tech offered to pet sit, and I’d also trust her.
Yeah, I think being bonded or insured is more important, since it offers you some financial protection if something happens, and certifications are iffy. I used a local professional sitter for a few years and she was very professional. I found her through a local pet sitters group. Then a friend offered to come stay over whenever I needed to travel, but I would call her again if the friend were not available.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote