Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-13, 02:58 AM  
soccergal23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
Is there any comprehensive list of great sliding DVDs anywhere? TIA.
That is a great question. I checked Mary's site (Total Fitness DVDs) and Collage Video, but didn't see any slide board DVDs listed. Other than what's been posted recently for Obsidian and Ultraslide, I'm not aware of any that have received great reviews. It also looks like the 3G board that some are discussing comes with a DVD.

If you do a search in the Videofitness Workout Reviews database, quite a few older slide board workouts from the early to mid 1990s come up:
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd..._cat.php?id=23

Here are some slide board DVD options that I found online - disclaimer that I know nothing about these

Quite a few sports performance sites, hockey sites, and the UltraSlide site have: Exercises for the Slide Board DVD (50+ exercises)
http://www.hockeyshot.com/Ultra-Slid...rd-004-dvd.htm

Slide Board Lesson (on a few ice skating websites):
http://www.rosiewear.com/slide-board-dvd-lesson/

Slide Board Training for Hockey:
http://www.varisport.com/new-slidebo...php?page_id=25

Here are some slide / glide disc DVD options that I found - I also know nothing about these

There is a Cathe Slide & Glide workout DVD, but it looks like you could do the moves that use the discs on a slide board**:
http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cath...e-DV-p/744.htm
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...and-glide-6069

**A VF user posted in 2011 about using the Cathe Slide & Glide DVD on a Reebok slide: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ht=slide+board
(you can also rent it on Amazon for $1.99 if you want to try it out on a slide board)

There are some gliding DVDs on Mary's Total Fitness DVDs site that look like you could do on a slide board - Gliding for Physical Therapy, Gliding for the Active Older Adult, Gliding Games DVD with Mylrea, Mindy Mylrea Gliding Extreme:
http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Sear...Search=gliding

There are a handful of workouts on Collage that use discs for some moves, but nothing else dedicated to just the sliding / gliding.

There are quite a few results for Slide Board Exercises on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...exercises&sm=3

You can narrow your Youtube search results to focus on leg exercises:

Core exercises:

When I searched for Upper Body, some weird, totally non-related videos popped up, so I won't put the link here - same with a search for Flexibility

I found an Ice Skating forum that has Slide Board Reviews for anyone who's interested:
http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47894

Also:
This 2010 VF thread talks about some slide board VHS workout options - haven't been able to locate them in DVD format, but a handful are on Amazon as VHS:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ht=slide+board

These are the slide board workouts that I found available for purchase as VHS tapes on Amazon:
* Slide Reebok Basic Training
* Liz Dyer Advanced Step and Slide
* Cheryl Ladd Sliding Into Shape
* Kim Alexis Slim Slide
Old 12-29-13, 06:09 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
Is there any comprehensive list of great sliding DVDs anywhere? TIA.
I posted the original post on the UltraSlide new up coming releases of their workouts, I was very excited about these releases because I've not found any DVD's/Downloads for the slide or a list of good workouts for the slide. I love to slide so mostly I've been doing my own workouts for it. About 3 years ago Shape Magazine put out a written workout for the slide board which I've also been using. I had the one old VHS Reebok slide workout, but now I can not find it. I'm happy that there seem to be some options now

Here's a link to UltraSlide downloads

http://store.payloadz.com/results/results.aspx?m=259701
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 08:28 AM  
soccergal23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post
I had the one old VHS Reebok slide workout, but now I can not find it.
Hi bee1 - if you don't mind VHS tapes, a Reebok slide workout can be found on Amazon (both new and used copies):
http://www.amazon.com/Slide-Reebok-B...s=reebok+slide

http://www.amazon.com/Slide-Reebok-B...s=Slide+Reebok

I can't remember if Nancy Karrigan was in the Reebok slide VHS I had that came with the board, but she is in the one for sale on Amazon.

I'm going to check out the UltraSlide downloads some time in January It looks like those have pretty short workout times from 4:33 to 13:24 - I'll probably get cardio, upper, lower, and core.
Old 12-29-13, 09:18 AM  
soccergal23

Thumbs up Upper Body DVD review - part of Obsidian 7 DVD add-on set or as indiv. DVD/download

* Length: 30:11
* Led by Lacey and Erin. Background: Jeremy, Sonal, Marcia.
* Push-ups: 1:34. Off the board. Down 3, hold, tap knees, push up, repeat.
* Side Plank: 1:54 . Off the board. Get on side, up on elbow, can start on knees, stack heels off the floor. Can modify by staying on knees, or having one leg straight; can lift up leg and one arm for challenge. Halfway through, switch sides.
*Single Leg Floor Bridge: 4:25. Off the board. Get in bridge position, raise one leg straight up, up quick, down slow, repeat same side. Options: can have hands flat or arms up to modify; keep both heels down. Next - single leg lower and raise for 2 on same side, repeat; at end, hold up for 10 seconds. Switch sides halfway through.
* Jumping Jacks / Scissor - 1:44. Off the board. Standing. Jack, scissor back, jack, scissor back opposite leg, repeat. Option to walk through it; to make it harder, take arms up higher, legs lower.
* Slide - :54. On the board. Modify by changing pace, arms in front or back, or twist across board.
* Static Lunge with Bicep Curl - 1:09. On the board. With weights. Get in static lunge position, bicep up 2, down 2, repeat same side. Option to do it off the board.
* Partial Squat with Tricep Extension - :44. On the board. With weights. Static squat, triceps down 2, up 2.
* Static Lunge with Bicep Curl - :50 . As per above, but with other leg in front in static lunge position.
* Partial Squat with Tricep Extension - :53. As per above.
* Wax On Wax Off - :42. Mitts on. Hands work on board. On knees off side of board, arms out, around, up, then opposite direction. Can do option from table top position; make harder by walking knees back further; or do one arm at a time.
* Tri-Chest push-up - 1:07. Mitts on. Hands work on board. On knees off side of board. One arm down, other does sliding push-up, down 2, up 2. Do 8, then switch sides with arms.
* V-Sit Chest Press - :29. Off board. With weights. Sitting position, lean back a bit; can lift heels to make more intense for core. Chest press up & forward, down to 90 degrees.
* Isolated Rows Toes on Board - :44. On or off the board. Can start in plank on board, row up one side, switch. Modifications: Can work off of board in plank, or on knees on board, doing same movement.
* V-Sit Chest Press - :29. As per above.
* Isolated Rows Toes on Board - :33. As per above.
* Core Drag with Push-Up - 2:00. Mitts on. On knees off side of board, slide hands out in front & back, out to side & in, repeat for 20. Modify - start in table top position, or alternate arms.
* Tricep Plank Kick Back with Toes on Board - :44. On or off board. With weights. Lower body - legs straight out on board, tricep extension same side for 8, switch sides. Modify: on knees or table top (on or off board).
* Cool Down - 1:58. On floor. Hip flexor, shoulder stretch, side stretch, tricep stretch, switch sides. Standing shoulder stretch, switch sides. Lace fingers out in front for shoulder stretch; lace fingers in back for chest stretch.

Pros:
* Favorite moves: single leg floor bridge, core drag with push-up, partial squat with tricep extension, static lunge with bicep curl, slide.
* Well-rounded upper body workout - arms, back, core. Also has some lower body.
* Nice, even pace throughout.
* Pleasant, no nonsense instructor style.
* Timer and alert to upcoming moves.
* Easy to combine with any of the other shorter Obsidian workouts or do on its own if you're short on time, or perhaps want to do some type of cardio with it. I combined this with the Lower Body DVD.

Cons:
* Only :54 of sliding. Can add in intervals as desired, though.
* Personal preference: I prefer to have "traditional" stretching for upper body before working that area just because I have flexibility and back issues. Can do on own before beginning DVD.
* Note - upper body is my least favorite area to work, so I don't have as many "favorite moves" on this DVD as I do on the others I've done
Old 12-29-13, 12:06 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccergal23 View Post
Hi bee1 - if you don't mind VHS tapes, a Reebok slide workout can be found on Amazon (both new and used copies):
http://www.amazon.com/Slide-Reebok-B...s=reebok+slide

http://www.amazon.com/Slide-Reebok-B...s=Slide+Reebok

I can't remember if Nancy Karrigan was in the Reebok slide VHS I had that came with the board, but she is in the one for sale on Amazon.

I'm going to check out the UltraSlide downloads some time in January It looks like those have pretty short workout times from 4:33 to 13:24 - I'll probably get cardio, upper, lower, and core.
Thank you ! yes that's the one I had but can't find anymore
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 05:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Great breakdowns Soccergal! Thanks again for taking the time to write them for us!! I can't wait to read the other five!

Until now, which one is your favorite so far?

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 05:42 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Okay! So once I narrowed it down to a six foot (total length) slide -- closest to what I used to have -- the choice to buy the 3G ebay deal Susie linked to was pretty obvious. I wanted the Obsidian DVD's, but not $75 worth. Discover card also had its 5% off all online purchases deal until the end of the month, so I should get it down below $120, shipped.

I've wanted a new slide for so many years and have tried to get a decent used one many times, so I'm excited! Thank you everybody for all the help.

By the way, from what I looked up earlier, I think the old Reebok slide was also six foot, in case you're doing their VHS workouts and want something similar.
Old 12-29-13, 07:43 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
Okay! So once I narrowed it down to a six foot (total length) slide -- closest to what I used to have -- the choice to buy the 3G ebay deal Susie linked to was pretty obvious. I wanted the Obsidian DVD's, but not $75 worth. Discover card also had its 5% off all online purchases deal until the end of the month, so I should get it down below $120, shipped.

I've wanted a new slide for so many years and have tried to get a decent used one many times, so I'm excited! Thank you everybody for all the help.

By the way, from what I looked up earlier, I think the old Reebok slide was also six foot, in case you're doing their VHS workouts and want something similar.
Sarah, congrats on your decision. I hope you like the 3G; I would feel really bad if it didn't work out for you.

By the way, if anyone is wondering which of the Ultraslide downloads to buy, I highly recommend "Cardio Endurance Training Program". It's about 11 minutes long but the entire workout is upright sliding- just different variations. I really like Sara Haley in these videos. The videos are HD and will look great on the big TV.
Old 12-29-13, 09:11 PM  
soccergal23

Thumbs up Power & Balance DVD review - part of Obsidian 7 DVD add-on set or indiv. DVD/download

* Length: 35:49
* Led by Lacey and Erin. Patrick, Breckin, Kitty in the background.
* Plank - 1:52. Off the board. Start on knees & elbows, lift up, hold for 5, tap knees, back up, repeat. Can modify with legs wider.
* Reverse Crunches - 1:13. Off the board. Start on back, lift legs up & lower to 90 degrees, repeat. Can modify with arms on floor or up.
* Ab Pointer - :53. Off the board. Start on knees or toes, reach hand straight out, arm to side 3:00, arm straight in front, in, repeat same side. Abs on fire!!
* Walking Push-Ups - 1:06. Off the board. Can do on knees or toes. Push-up, walk arms to other side, drop down, lift up, walk arms back, push-up, repeat.
* Tuck and Extend - 1:37 . Off the board. Start on left leg, bend forward & reach right leg back & both arms in front, bring arms & leg back in, repeat same side. Can modify by tapping foot down, not going as deep. Increase by going deeper & extending legs / arms further. Glutes on fire!!
* Tuck and Extend - 2:09. Per above, opposite side. Glutes on fire again
* Tuck Jumps - 1:12. Off the board. Tuck jump or modify with squat jumps or alternate knees up. At :55 in - do out and in with feet very quickly. Option to just shake it fast in place.
* Slide - 2:00. On the board. Can modify by changing pace, twisting across board, marching knees up in place, single leg jacks in place, or jacks off the board. One of them uses shorter board in order to go faster.
* Squat Jumps - 1:03. Off the board. Vertical squat jumps over the board and back, repeat. Then horizontal over the board, repeat. Option - small squat jumps in place, or one leg at a time. Can increase intensity by doing single leg.
* Romanian Dead Lifts - 1:32. On the board. Use one dumbbell. Balance on left leg, weight in right hand, right leg back, reach for opposite ankle with weight, snap up, single leg squat, reach arm up, and back. Repeat. Can modify off the board.
* Speed Skate - 2:27. On the board. 15 seconds fast, 15 slower, repeat. Can modify by adjusting pace, etc. Great cardio
* Romanian Dead Lifts - 1:21. - As per above, opposite side.
* Oblique Reach & Crunch - . On the board. Uses one dumbbell. Balance left leg, right leg out, arms up to opposite side with weight, crunch left leg & arms in for 2, out for 2, repeat. Can modify off the board. Isolation moves at end of segment (smaller range of motion).
* Reverse lunge with Overhead Press -:59. On the board. Uses both weights. Reverse lunge with arms up, bring leg & arms in to balance, repeat. Can modify off the board, or by not bringing leg up.
* Speed Skate - 2:11. As per above.
* Oblique Reach & Crunch - :52. As per above, opposite side.
* Reverse lunge with Overhead Press - :53. As per above, opposite leg.
* Mountain Climbers - 1:02. On the board. Hands flat off side of board, legs fast for mountain climbers. Can modify by changing speed or sliding instead.
* Cool Down - 3:16. Off the board. Standing hip flexor stretch, hamstring stretch, switch sides. IT band stretch, twist into chest stretch, quad stretch, glute stretch, switch sides. Lace fingers in front to stretch shoulders, then in back to stretch chest. Arm stretch, switch.

Pros:
* This is one of my favorite Obsidian workouts.
* Good, relatively short total body + cardio workout.
* A lot of balance, endurance, & functional fitness work - many moves that I've done in physical therapy over the years.
* It also felt like sports-specific training, which is great for me
* Favorite moves: really everything in this workout except mountain climbers - in the last week that I've been doing Obsidian, though, I've already seen improvement in how long I can go with those
* Love the speed skate intervals There is about 6:30 worth of skating in this workout total.
* Nice, even pace throughout.
* The instructors seem like they are having a lot of fun in the workout. Also encouraging.
* Timer and alert to upcoming moves.
* Probably could combine it with some of the shorter (30 min) Obsidian DVDs, but it's pretty comprehensive as-is.

Cons:
* The big thing for me is the jumping because of my wonky knees; however, there are modifications for all of those moves and I had no issues whatsoever in this workout.
* Those who prefer more sliding can just add in additional intervals.
Old 12-29-13, 09:22 PM  
soccergal23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Great breakdowns Soccergal! Thanks again for taking the time to write them for us!! I can't wait to read the other five!

Until now, which one is your favorite so far?
No problem - you are very welcome

My favorites so far are probably:
1. Circuit
2. Intermediate
3. Power and Balance
I really like the athleticism in all three and felt challenged, in a good way. The DOMS were also pretty darn incredible

I enjoyed Beginner, Pure Cardio, Upper Body, and Lower Body. After doing all of these once now, it seems the 3 I listed as favorites just fit my style better for being full body, strength, cardio, balance, and endurance.

I have just 3 left: Advanced, Recovery, and Crazy Abs. Hoping to at least get the breakdowns posted in the next couple of days I'll also try to post breakdowns for Beginner - just realized I posted thoughts about it earlier in the thread, but no breakdown of the segments / moves.

Tags
buyobsidian, obsidian, obsidian fitness, obsidian slide, slide board, ultraslide