Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-20, 05:27 PM  
anetta

Instacart is great-I used them earlier this year before the pandemic for delivery and also have used them to pickup at my local store(you pick delivery time, they shop, put it in stores refridgerated cases and when you get to the store an employee brings it out to you).

Great company, friendly workers, I would recomend.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 06:08 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Husband managed to snag paper towel and toilet paper from Costco today, so we're thankfully all set on those for a while. I never thought I'd be so happy to simply be able to buy these things. It's still so bizarre to me!

Is anyone finding things to be calming down at all with the crazed buying at your local stores?
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 06:16 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Lori, did you proof the recipe in the fridge overnight? I would need to cram the bowl on the bottom shelf and I am worried about it rising too high. I may be able to fit it on the top shelf, but that would require more rearranging. Thanks!
I actually always just proof my loaves in a bowl on the counter overnight with some plastic wrap and a towel. But I always used my own sourdough starter and not actual yeast, so that could end up proofing too much since yeast packets are stronger and don't need as much proofing time. If I were going to use a yeast packet, I'd probably make the dough in the morning and then let it proof during the day on the counter and then bake it in the afternoon/evening. Hope it works out for you!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 07:49 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I've made that recipe before -- a good one! That site has some really good recipes that use minimal ingredients.

I throw anything I can into my breads, mostly so nothing goes to waste and to keep it interesting. I've even put hot peppers and cheese in! I'm so ready for garden season in Michigan, I am longing for my fresh herbs! It probably won't be until June though...
Last week I made a focaccia with feta and kalamata olives that turned out great and my husband scarfed it down. I'm all for mixing ingredients in breads!

I am also ready for garden season! There's nothing like fresh garden veggies and herbs!
Old 04-02-20, 01:04 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Husband managed to snag paper towel and toilet paper from Costco today, so we're thankfully all set on those for a while. I never thought I'd be so happy to simply be able to buy these things. It's still so bizarre to me!

Is anyone finding things to be calming down at all with the crazed buying at your local stores?
I went to a very large grocery store (Woodman's) last week and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to find all the usual things I needed. I got what appeared to be one of the last two large plastic containers of baby spinach but other than that and the rather barren paper goods aisles, things seemed pretty normal. Not too many shoppers, some wearing face masks. I could tell there had been long lines at one point because there was signage up saying "lines for self-checkout start here" and it was way far away from where the self-checkouts are, so the lines must have been bad at some point.

There were reasonable, well-marked limits on certain categories of items. The only draconian limit I believe was on paper products, which is understandable, but still, I felt bad for people who really need the toilet paper and have a large family. (Fortunately we were already stocked up on paper goods prior to the pandemic.) And my mom wanted me to get her processed lunch meat from the refrigerated section and there was a limit of 2 on that and most of the larger packages were already gone, but there was quite a bit of selection on the smaller packages.

Anyways, I had been avoiding shopping for the past two weeks or so based on things I was reading online and (I think, I hope) I managed to miss the worst of it.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 04:58 AM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I also used the store's website and it was assigned to Instacart. The first time I did this, I had no idea what Instacart was. I thought the shoppers were store employees, but I guess not. Anyway, the shopper I had did a fantastic job too and I gave her a large tip. After she delivered, the site told me what the final price was and then gave me several tip options. The site also told me the shopper's first name, so if you have that info, maybe you can contact Instacart and find out how to adjust the tip?
I found an email address for Instacart and sent them a message, but got an automated reply saying they were experiencing high volumes of incoming email and to call instead. When I called, I got an automated response saying it would be at least a 47 minute wait time for a representative. I gave up.

This was my first time using Instacart and I guess I didn't fully realize how it worked either. I think the tip we gave her would have been okay under normal circumstances, but under the current circumstances, being more generous would have been better.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 09:48 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I found an email address for Instacart and sent them a message, but got an automated reply saying they were experiencing high volumes of incoming email and to call instead. When I called, I got an automated response saying it would be at least a 47 minute wait time for a representative. I gave up.

This was my first time using Instacart and I guess I didn't fully realize how it worked either. I think the tip we gave her would have been okay under normal circumstances, but under the current circumstances, being more generous would have been better.
I just have to say how sweet and considerate you are, looking into the matter after the fact like this!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 05:03 AM  
donnamp

I'm not sure on which COVID-19 thread I read this - maybe this one?

But I wanted to thank the VFer who mentioned going on the grocery delivery sites either very late at night or very early in the morning - THANKS! I was able to set up a delivery albeit for 2 weeks form now - but it is better than nothing and I have enough to last for two weeks - so thanks for that tip - being a night owl or early bird pays off when scheduling deliveries!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 01:58 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Another perspective on the toilet paper shortage

deleted

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 02:24 PM  
fanofladyvols

While I agree the shift in demand was abrupt, and supply was severely impacted simultaneously, no one who watched the people I have been watching can say hoarding didn't contribute substantially to the low supply in my grocery store.

Ridiculous.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing