Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-20, 08:05 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
What makes me nervous about this virus is that it lives for 9 days on hard surfaces and is extremely contagious. Thinking of all the things a person with coronavirus can touch (even dvds at thrift stores) a week before I touch them gives me the heebie-jeebies.
In hopes of being reassuring, it lives "up to" 9 days on hard surfaces. That's under ideal conditions. Which rarely exist. Sun, wind, humidity, temperature, etc can all reduce that significantly.

And it's less contagious than the common cold. The regular seasonal flu has a R0 ("R naught") of 1.3, meaning one person infects about 1.3 other people. The common cold has an R0 of about 6. Covid-19's R0 is between 2 and 3, so more contagious than seasonal flu but significantly less so than the common cold.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 08:19 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Kansas City just declared a state of emergency over one case in a suburb. All public gatherings of 1000 people are cancelled for the next 21 days (subject to extension of course, depending on the course of things.)

Because this was declared an official "pandemic" yesterday, the company I work for (a health care company) is going to have all of us in full PPE (personal protective equipment, meaning mask/gown/gloves) at all times, taking temps before we can come to work, no one can come to the treatment floor without also having a temp taken and PPE on (incl. family members, even the UPS man!).

I already sweat a lot at work... Working 12 hours in full PPE is gonna be HOT, let me tell ya! But that's OK. You do what you have to do! It will be interesting to see how long this thing runs. It's on the downhill side in China at this point, mid-way through in Europe, but really just beginning here.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 01:07 AM  
suzannaerin

I just read on the CDC website that if you have it, you should use precautions and avoid contact with pets. I have three dogs, including a puppy, so this is news is making me want to turn myself and my spouse into hermits until there is an effective immunization available. One of my Senators has provided good info and links to resources on his website.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 02:04 AM  
Negin

Two articles for anyone who may be interested.
The first one, in my very humble opinion, is essential reading.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

My neighborhood in quarantine times
Old 03-13-20, 05:48 AM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Sandra, I hope you and your husband feel much better soon.
Thank you.

We both feel much better.

5 people called in sick yesterday to my husband's work and 3 left sick. One went to the doctor in the city and they said they do not have any Covid19 tests so to just go home and stay there.

We decided since we feel better not to go to our doctor because if we did have it, we would have infected the entire lobby, waiting room, and doctor's office since they have no plan and seem unprepared. If we don't have it, we don't want to pick it up!
Old 03-13-20, 08:08 AM  
akaAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Two articles for anyone who may be interested.
The first one, in my very humble opinion, is essential reading.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

My neighborhood in quarantine times
Thanks Negin, especially for the first one, I've forwarded the link to several people.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 08:41 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have been home resting after cataract surgery and so glad I've been self quarantined anyway. I read a great tip - using the namaste instead of shaking hands. I have to attend a calling hours this evening and it will be namaste for me.

DH and I each have a container of Clorox wipes right in the car. The building my office is in was shut down due to an employee calling out with suspicious symptoms. They had a cleaning crew come in for a deep sanitizing. A show I was going to attend next week is postponed, too. Our governor issued an order that any gathering over 200 people is to be postponed or cancelled.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 09:38 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Research team has isolated the COVID-19 virus

https://sunnybrook.ca/research/media...-isolated-2020

Canada to the rescue!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 10:18 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I read a great tip - using the namaste instead of shaking hands. I have to attend a calling hours this evening and it will be namaste for me.
Oh, I like that idea! I'm using it.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 10:49 AM  
marki64

I have become sickened, not by the corona virus, but the media and the over dramatization of it all. Ridiculous! Just a way to tank the economy. I will continue to shop, eat out and try to enjoy life. My God, they act as if people are dying on the streets.

When I went to get my mom at the assisted living place yesterday, I had to fill out a form if I was showing signs. I ask why they don't do this every year? Every Fall, there should be a form for family members to fill out for any colds or flus. I will not listen to any news until this is over. And, it will end. This is so political and unnecessary.

I need to pick up some things for dinner tonight. We'll see if the shelves are bare.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing