Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-13, 02:31 PM  
lorajc

For the Walkers Out There

I was just curious for those that like to walk and have had good results with it -- weight loss -- do you have to speed walk and really pump your arms and try to get your HR up, or do you mean you just walk at a nice brisk pace and don't necessarily have to get your HR up like when doing cardio. Is the magic not necessarily in the HR fat burn zone? I know that when I just walk at a brisk pace my HR doesn't really elevate into the cardio range.....so this is why I bring this up.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 02:39 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

I lost 15 - 17 lbs last year simply by walking ...... I walked at a regular pace, however, I walked a lot ...... I was averaging 5 miles a day which I did for 7 days a week and this resulted in losing the weight quickly ...... I walked every evening at a nearby trail (my trail did have uphills.)

I have worked out like a fiend during the years, and couldn't drop any significant weight but yet walking was my magic pill ...... I have to start up again because I went back to working out with dvds and stopped my walking, and I regained back some of the weight.
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 02:57 PM  
lorajc

What sort of shoes do you wear? That's a lot of miles. Did that shape your legs up also and make them lean? Does it matter if I do it on a treadmill versus outside? I can actually do both while weather permits, but I think my legs will need to build up to it.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 03:12 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I've also had some success with walking this year. I do walk 7 days a week at a brisk pace for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour at a time. I try to find paths that have some hills so at least I can get my heart pumping for some of the time. I wear running shoes when I walk. Though my legs aren't my biggest trouble spot, they did get leaner and I guess you could say shaplier in that my calves have gotten more muscular and give my legs more shape.

I think part of the success I've had is I can do it every day and I will do it for 45 to 60 minutes whereas I would never last that long with other cardio (not a cardio lover). It also doesn't increase my appetite like maybe a more intense cardio would. I don't walk on a treadmill so not sure if that makes a difference. I wouldn't last 5 minutes on treadmill personally All in all, I'm sold on walking. Good luck.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 03:18 PM  
edensmom

I lost the baby weight with one of my kids from walking. I walked 4 miles a day, every day, pushing a stroller, and my route included some steep hills. I would be a bit sweaty when I finished, enough that I headed straight to the shower.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 04:02 PM  
PhyllisG

I lost 5 lbs. in a month from just walking a new dog we had adopted. You know their pace is walk and sniff etc.

Last edited by PhyllisG; 07-14-13 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 06:09 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

The beginning of my journey back into fitness was just walking. In eight months I lost all of the almost 100 lbs. that I gained during the three year period that I had my back surgeries. I didn't even pick up a pair of dumbbells until well over 2 years after I started my journey back into fitness. I added Tae Bo during my 9th month and Tae Bo really tightened my body.

I highly recommend listening to your body and embrace being a beginner right now. This is the best thing that you can do for yourself. Honest. You are recovering from some serious injuries and your body is still busy trying to repair the damage. The goal is to not take two steps forward and one step backwards.

Set a realistic goal for each outing. Maybe start off with 1/2 mile, 1 mile, etc., something you can do easily. Then gradually increase your speed. A pair of walking poles will add a bit of resistance, so if you can afford a pair, buy one. It will also help with any balance issues.

But do look at this time in your life as your "journey back into fitness." I honestly think that switching your mind frame will help you tremendously.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 06:15 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
What sort of shoes do you wear? That's a lot of miles. Did that shape your legs up also and make them lean? Does it matter if I do it on a treadmill versus outside? I can actually do both while weather permits, but I think my legs will need to build up to it.
In the first week I kept on having to change up my sneakers (good thing I own a lot of sneakers) because I banged up my feet but my favorite shoes for walking outdoors were my Nike Free Run 5.0 which are running shoes but great for walking as well. I lost inches from my waist down and yes my legs did lean out. In the first few months I walked strictly outdoors but with Fall and Winter approaching, I utilized my treadmill ....... for me, walking outdoors and indoors produced the same results. As mentioned before, I stopped walking and noted in the past months, that I started regaining some of the weight (even though I am still working out with dvds.) Your post reminded me that I needed to go back to walking and so after responding previously, I hopped on my treadmill and did an hour ....... my goal is to go back to walking daily and reaching up to my daily 5 miles.

I started walking last year in August and from August until September I walked 5 miles a day every day and dropped two sizes ...... with the colder months approaching as well as it getting darker sooner, I did not want to walk late at night, so I cut my walking from 5 miles to a minimum of 3 miles (I did note that when I walked less, my weight plateaued, however, when I would go back up to 5 miles, I would lose weight again.) Everyone's body is different, and for me personally, 5 miles is what is needed for my body to go into fat-burning range (3 miles is better for me for maintaining.)
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 07:20 PM  
alisoncooks

This has been interesting to read!
I've been thinking of taking on a Leslie-Challenge of some sort, with lots of walking. I've been reaching for her workouts a lot, and nothing else really appeals to me right now...so I figure I might as well!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 08:16 PM  
Sara1000

Leslie's workouts can be very comforting but they're not as easy as one might think. I've been walking outside all summer including at least one short but VERY steep hill each time. Yesterday I waited until it was too hot so I pulled out a Leslie and it seemed pretty hard, to my surprise. Of course you get used to them when you do them regularly. It was the 2 mile WATP for Abs with the Walk Belt. Leslie has a lot of moves that are not found in regular walking. Great for the winter months, when it's too dark outside to walk before work. For me too boring to do more than a couple of miles, though. I like to listen to audiobooks when I walk outside. Maybe I should try that with Leslie? Anyone?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie, leslie sansone, walking