Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-13, 10:41 PM  
bfit

what's the deal on wearing running shoes for walking?

I always thought that running shoes and walking shoes were different and that you should wear different shoes for running and walking. Well, several months ago when I couldn't find any walking shoes I liked I started using a pair of running shoes for walking, and they were fine. Now those are wearing out, I'm shopping again for walking shoes, and I'm noticing that many catalogs and websites don't even tell you whether the shoes are for walking or running. Is there a difference? And if there is, is it necessarily bad to walk in running shoes? For what it's worth, I also run on some days, and when I walk I walk fast and often on dirt or gravel so I need something fairly "rugged".
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 11:25 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I always walk in running shoes. I find them lighter and more cushioned especially in the heel. I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 02:21 AM  
Kathleen86

I was searching on this question a few weeks ago.

This link was helpful: http://www.newbalance.com/Walking-sh...efault,pg.html To paraphrase, it says that running shoes have more support in the heel while walking shoes may have more support in the arch and are made to be flexible in the ball of the foot.

A few other links I recall reading said that walking in running shoes is fine but definitely not to run in walking shoes. There is so much more variety out there for running shoes in fun colors and what not..so I decided to go with running shoes even though 99.9% of the time I only do walking. I don't know why shoe companies think people who walk only want to wear white shoes.

My mother's podiatrist (she's dealing with PF) said that a good shoe should not bend in the middle at the arch, have stiff support at the back of the shoe around the achilles, and have a heel that is 'not too square' on the edges to support heel to toe rolling gently.
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 05:23 AM  
Kellie

I've never used anything BUT running shoes for walking. I went to buy walking shoes at an athletic shoe store and the salesman told me that running and walking are pretty much the same movement as far as the foot is concerned, so the best supportive shoe would be one that is made for the harder pounding of the same movement, which would be a running shoe. Made perfect sense to me!
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 08:42 AM  
blzgrl

The guys at the shoe store I went to said these days they recommend running shoes for everything, walking, running and crosstraining.
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 08:51 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have tried on running shoes when searching for cross trainers (there was a period of time when finding cross trainers in wide sizes was almost impossible). They just didn't feel right to me because the shoes didn't come up around the ankle. So, they didn't like they would have enough support for my usual exercise, especially for lateral movement.

However, I would think for walking, they would be fine. Like someone said above, it's the same movement, just less jarring.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 10:00 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen86 View Post
I was searching on this question a few weeks ago.
A few other links I recall reading said that walking in running shoes is fine but definitely not to run in walking shoes. There is so much more variety out there for running shoes in fun colors and what not..so I decided to go with running shoes even though 99.9% of the time I only do walking. I don't know why shoe companies think people who walk only want to wear white shoes.
When I worked in a shoe store 25+ years ago, I was told the same thing. The running shoes were more build up the heel for heavier striking and were generally lighter weight. We always had the most hideous walking shoes. I always wondered why they couldn't make a cuter walking shoe. We had cute running shoes, basketball shoes, tennis shoes, volleyball shoes, etc.

I wear trail running shoes for walking. I use them for hiking, too. I've never gone trail running. I would probably land flat on my face.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 10:21 AM  
SpiritSong

Thanks for this thread. The last time I went to the store looking for walking shoes, I couldn't find any I liked. I don't want bright white sneakers, and I don't want a big neon streak along the bottom drawing attention to my big feet!

Knowing I can buy running shoes will help open up my choices.
Old 06-21-13, 10:26 AM  
flamingoo

I always had the hardest time finding walking shoes that didn't make my feet hurt. I then read an article in a fitness magazine that talked about using running shoes. I bought a pair and fell in love with them. I can pretty much use any of the running shoes I have for walking and my feet no longer hurt when I go on long walks!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 11:10 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I always walk in running shoes. I find them lighter and more cushioned especially in the heel. I think it's a matter of personal preference.
X2. I am almost completely flat-footed and find more support in running shoes. I actually think they feel better and give more support to my arches~or where my arches should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blzgrl
The guys at the shoe store I went to said these days they recommend running shoes for everything, walking, running and crosstraining.
In fact, I wear running shoes for my cardio and weight DVD workouts too and find it works great for my feet.