Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-10, 08:50 AM  
SpiritSong

Favorite fitness magazine?

Now that I have outgrown Glamour and the other magazines that focus on selling me makeup and clothes I can't afford, I was thinking of subscribing to a women's fitness magazine. There seem to be a bunch out there, so I thought I would ask the wise fitness experts here which ones you like.

Mostly I would like a magazine that updates me on the latest studies done on fitness and nutrition, includes workout tips, etc. I'm worried I'll subscribe and end up with one that tries to sell me workout clothes I can't afford.
Old 08-25-10, 08:54 AM  
JENILU

I don't know that its the best one, but several workout DVDs you can buy right now have a coupon for a FREE 1 year subscription to Fitness. So that would atleast be one to get you started- and if you don't like it, all you've spent is a stamp!
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 09:04 AM  
Buzzer

Fitness RX usually has the latest studies in it, although they seem to find a theme in their studies they publish and stick to it throughout that months issue. (ie, mores studies and articles on drinking more water, more on running, etc)
BUT, they also do nutrition studies and I found some of them very interesting.
I subscribe for a year before I burn out on it, then I will take some time away, then when the mood strikes me again to subscribe to something, that's the magazine I go to.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 09:08 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

My three favorites that are mainly workout or nutrition oriented are:

1) Oxygen
2) Muscle & Fitness Hers
3) Fitness RX (for women - they also have a mens version)

Fitness, Shape, and Women's Health are okay but seem to have lots of "fluff stuff" like beauty, cosmetics, etc. I usually just flip past those sections to get to the fitness articles.

As you can tell, I have WAY too many subscriptions, lol. Right now I get all of the above (although I didn't renew the Women's Health which I got for $5 for a year) plus Runners World, Running Times, Clean Eating, and Healthy Cooking. I usually have a huge pile sitting next to my chair to go through every month but I enjoy flipping through them while we watch TV.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 09:17 AM  
MJ525

Kathy, those three you mentioned do they have alot of ads for weight loss supplements?

I'm trying to lose weight and I hate a magazine that throws "try this pill" at me.
MJ525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 09:20 AM  
gjv

Health Magazine is my favorite. And, surprisingly, Cooking Light has a lot of fitness stuff in it that I like.
Old 08-25-10, 09:25 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ525 View Post
Kathy, those three you mentioned do they have alot of ads for weight loss supplements?

I'm trying to lose weight and I hate a magazine that throws "try this pill" at me.
Unfortunately, Oxygen and M&F Hers do have some of those but I just flip through them as well. They also have tons of protein bars/powder ads that I flip past. I guess that's why I subscribe to so many....if an article doesn't interest me or I see ads I don't like, I move on. DH laughs but it keeps me awake during some pretty boring TV stuff sometimes. Oh, I also look for the cheapest subscription prices I can find. I got the Running Times for 3 years/$19 - Runners World - 4 years/$24 - and I can usually find the Shape and Fitness subcriptions cheap either on Ebay or a discount magazine website. HTH.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 09:29 AM  
shoegoddess

I have subscriptions to Oxygen & Health.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 09:55 AM  
lioness

I love OnFitness Magazine. All their issues are informative and interesting. Regular topics include natural health, nutrition, organic diet and everything to do with fitness.
lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 10:14 AM  
Susanq

I subscribe to a lot of magazines but they're my treat to myself. I subscribe to Oxygen, Fitness, Muscle and Fitness Hers, Clean Eating, Self, Shape and Women's Health Magazine. My favourite magazine would be Oxygen, I really like their workouts and their articles on clean eating.
Susanq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magazines