Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-13, 08:06 AM  
mspina

This seems to be a very individual experience, as you can likely already tell from the responses already! With my first, I couldn't eat enough to keep any weight on - I lost the little baby weight I had VERY quickly, and then some (which I didn't have to begin with). I sort of looked a little gross actually - dabbling into being too skinny. With my second, I lost everything, but not nearly as quickly as with my first.

I have heard that many people hold onto 5-10lbs until they stop breastfeeding, then that weight falls off quickly.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 08:44 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post
I'm very sorry too, but it seems like it's harder when you have a boy. I endured ongoing soreness hoping to establish a good supply, but after 6 weeks I realized one day that I had been feeding him for 16 hours! The next day I got a box of formula, sterilizer and bottles. My boy was never happier! Who knows why. I know that I felt like I had copious amounts of milk, but seems like it wasn't filling enough for him. I am still mixed feeding.

At first people were shocked to see how quickly I had pulled in, no loose skin etc. But I am finding it odd that I haven't lost a pound aside from the first 25 that I lost practically in the first week! To be honest I thought they'd be gone by now, but no!
I'm sorry you are struggling! I went through the same thing with my first, a boy, and nursed him around the clock the first three months! The weight came off quickly with him, but by my fifth baby I held onto the last 10 pounds a little longer, and that eventually disappeared quickly.

I believe you have to do what is right for your baby and for YOU. If it becomes stressful your baby may sense that and it can also affect the weight loss. This is such a beautiful time for you, you should be able to enjoy every minute of it. As hard as it can be, try not to worry about the weight right now because it will eventually come off, and remember they say give yourself nine months to get your pre-baby figure back. But I agree with mspina that it can be a very individual experience! ((Hugs))

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 09:00 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I think it's definitely an individual thing.

With my first baby, a son, the weight literally melted off. I had a really bad delivery, so I was sick for the first year after giving birth to him, so him and basically slept all day, so him nursing when he wanted to wasn't an issue for me.

With my second child, a daughter, the weight didn't want to come off at all. I was left with quite a bit of weight to lose.

Christina, my daughter was the big eater. She was an 11 lb. baby and came out hungry. I was told that drinking a beer would help with milk production when I needed something extra, and boy did it work. I could have a glass of beer and wake up the next morning really gorged.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 09:01 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Aww, Cristina, I too feel for your struggles. I'm another one who couldn't BF even though lord knows I tried. My DD had some physical problems which made it difficult for her, so I pumped for a few weeks but it was just so stressful. Lost the weight and then some, but it was a stressful time. My DS was in the big, hungry boy camp. I couldn't make enough milk to keep him hungry so I just went with the formula, no regrets. And again I dropped the weight quickly so for me, like Val and Jeanne Marie, BF wasn't a factor in weight loss and I had to do what was best for my babies and me and we all survived it just fine.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your beautiful baby boy
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 10:37 AM  
fitloon

As long as your son is happy and nourished, I think whichever way you are feeding him is fine!

I lost weight quickly with my first while breastfeeding, but I wasn't eating enough as I should have. With my twins, I went up and down for awhile. I still held on to about 10 lbs when they were done nursing.

Your body was pregnant for 9 months, give it at least 9 months to adjust back.
fitloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 11:44 AM  
edensmom

Hi Cristina

I haven't read any of the responses yet...but I wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone. I just breastfed two babies back to back (4 and 2 yrs old, the 2 year old just stopped nursing completely maybe a month ago?) I had difficulty with BOTH of them. With the oldest I had terrible excruciating pain the first two months. I was wincing and cringing while trying to feed the baby and I could not get her to latch on. I had trouble with the second one latching on and she would get frustrated and fall asleep. Pain again too. I had to supplement at first with this little tube that we snuck down the side of my body. I used a nipple shield for the longest time with both girls and it was a lifesaver for me as far as pain and helping the girls learn to latch on. I saw a lactation consultant with both girls too. It was so frustrating and disheartening at first because I assumed breastfeeding would just come naturally and be easy when that could not have been more untrue! I really wish I had known that so I would be prepared emotionally for the struggle, as well as the physical pain. I wish more people talked about this.

However you feed your baby is fine! Congratulations to you.

As far as the weight loss, breastfeeding was magic for me. I lost all my weight so quick while inhaling food. (But to be fair I am the type of person that has not always been so strict with my diet and stayed pretty small). As far as skin elasticity I thought that was a genetic thing.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 01:51 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Hi cristina!!!!! how are you and your baby?

i had immediate weight loss with exclusive breastfeeding all 3 of my sons, and i weaned them when they reached 1 year old. i expressed at work with a medela. i returned to work full-time from week 6, and my sitter gave my sons only breastmilk, even when solids were introduced.

i began doing light walking w/baby in the stroller about 8 weeks postpartum, and earlier in some instances (due to boredom at home, and just to get out of the house). by my 6th week checkup, i had already lost all of the pregnancy weight for each pregnancy - i recall that because my ob-gyn mentioned it.

i ate whatever was fastest to prepare, and i was so preoccupied with caring for an infant. i didn't starve myself, and food was always available.

the key to my weightloss, i believe, was rest, rest and rest. seriously. i was very focused on milk production, so the lactation nurse and La Leche League stressed resting for milk production. i wasn't planning to lose my weight, it was a by-product bonus of getting lots of sleep.

i became adept at co-sleeping and nursing a tiny infant.

in DS16's 1 week check-up with the pediatrician, my son gained a little over 2#, and the pediatrician said "whatever's in your breastmilk should be marketed and sold - - your son is thriving."

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 01:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i was also going to add that i went to see the lactation nurse for all 3 sons! this prevented the pain and frustration and eliminated the temptation to supplement with formula. there's nothing wrong with formula - even the pediatrician said not to stress about breastfeeding. but i was very determined to breastfeed.

seeing a lactation nurse is important - she has to see you do it, like a coach, to correct your positioning and baby's positioning.

i felt like an idiot each time, having to go back. she said "it's common because every baby is different." the lactation nurse also said she has coached women with babies who have a cleft lip (not palate). now, if she can do that, she should be able to assist children w/o that challenge and their moms, to breastfeed.

"every baby is different" - - - it's so true. and as a mom, you forget!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 08-08-13 at 05:52 PM. Reason: EDITED: changed to cleft lip (not palate)
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 02:45 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I will happily join Jeannine in singing the praises of lactation consultants!! I have never had a conversation with one that wasn't extremely helpful. My second child was in the NICU for four weeks after he was born so I was pumping mostly for him. I had little experience pumping, so sought quite a bit of help. They were always so wonderful and supportive.

I'm also very pro-breast feeding, but agree with others that whatever it takes to happily nourish your baby is great!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 03:40 PM  
woodie

When I nursed my son for 4 months I found that the pounds melted away in 6 weeks and then stayed off. However, when I nursed my daughter for 12 months, while I lost the initial weight like before, I gained quite a bit back as it required more and more for me to sustain milk. I would have to eat about an hour or so before she would typically be ready, which meant I was eating in the middle of the night often times and then just sleeping on it. I was unable to workout as well because exercise reduced my milk. She's the most recent one (2.5 years ago) and I still have extra weight on... can I still blame it on breastfeeding?!? LOL!

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding