Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-13, 06:43 PM  
lotusgirl

yes to fitnessrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I've had subscriptions to them all. I think I still have Self and Shape because of 'deals' posted here. For the few minutes I spend on each of them, I don't mind spending something like $2.99. I rarely find anything new or interesting in them. I prefer to page through mags on the newstand and buy them when I see something I actually want to read - which isn't very often.

My favorite was FitnessRx. Not sure that one is still around.

Yes, but I never see deals on it: http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com
Old 06-07-13, 07:03 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach View Post
They filed for bankruptcy (Oxygen and Musclemag), as opposed to being sold off. I assume this will include Clean Eating. Personally, I'm curious about what played a bigger role: the digital age of print media, or a lack of interest in fitness in general.
Oh I didn't know this. Of course this is the only magazine I receive. This would be the second time a fitness magazine that I subscribe to goes under. The first incarnation of Muscle &Fitness Hers also closed shop only to begin publication over a year later.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 07:26 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Well, why do I really need Clean Eating magazine when the website has tons of recipes? Why pay money when I can get all those recipes free? But what if the website goes away, too.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:57 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach View Post
They filed for bankruptcy (Oxygen and Musclemag), as opposed to being sold off. I assume this will include Clean Eating. Personally, I'm curious about what played a bigger role: the digital age of print media, or a lack of interest in fitness in general.
Print is dying. When even Newsweek can't stay in print, that's pretty bad.

I like Experience Life - got a sample subscription through Lifetime Fitness - but a lot of their good articles are online and come with videos.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 09:58 PM  
DebbieRN

Well that's quite odd timing. I picked up my mail early this morning from yesterday, and my last Oxygen issue (July) was there. I'm trying to go digital, and read my Runner's World on Zinio the most. Glad I saved all my previous Oxygen issues I haven't had time to look at yet. Most routines are timeless and the pics motivational. I have little muscles I'm trying to get bigger, so it's helpful.

I was surprised to see Oxygen review Ballet Body Lower Body Workout by Leah Sarago (very short DVD review) on p 36. They liked it though, giving it 8.5/10. Thought the cover girl was slouching a bit but she was, in all fairness, holding what looked like, a huge kettlebell, so maybe that's the reason. CrossFit exercises are featured in July's issue.

Debbie
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 06:38 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Tosca made a comment in Oxygen that the magazine will be branching out, looking into functional fitness and such. Maybe they're hoping that will help?

I love Experience Life magazine. I also like OnFitness but it's too expensive for me to justify getting it anymore. It's aimed towards trainers and I think it's best for people who maybe like paper workouts or who are comfortable putting their own routines together. It's just so expensive and I'm not sure why. It does have a few ads, but perhaps not enough to bring down the price.
Old 06-08-13, 11:25 AM  
fitloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Print is dying. When even Newsweek can't stay in print, that's pretty bad.
Sadly, I can see that trend unfolding now. I had a subscription to Whole Living (one of Martha Stewart's publications) and it just folded. The website is still around. To round out the last 3 months on my subscription they sent me Rachael Ray's Every Day mag.

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread. I'm always on the lookout for a good fitness magazine.
fitloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 12:17 PM  
lotusgirl

Oxygen Magazine and circulation

Found this on the Oxygen magazine FB page:

"RKP closes its doors...

Sadly Robert Kennedy Publishing has filed for bankruptcy in Canada and until new owners are found they have closed their doors. As you would be aware Fitmedia publish three licenced titles from RKP being; Musclemag, Oxygen and Clean Eating. All these titles are growing for us and we have more than enough content to continue delivering these popular magazines to you.

Our production is in NO way affected by the closure in Canada and we will bring more details to you all as soon as they come to hand. Having just had Tosca Reno in Australia for three weeks, we know that her Eat Clean brand is thriving and that there is plenty of goodwill internationally to re-establish the existing RKP titles as we know and love them.

Thoughts are with the Canadian team right now!"

FYI: Oxygen had a circulation of 200,000 - really low. Mags make their money off advertising and rates are based on circulation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_circulation
Old 06-08-13, 05:44 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

i forgot that I just subscribed to Clean Eating. I just saw the charge on my VISA bill. I wonder if I should dispute it and get a refund or assume it really won't be affected.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 05:56 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
i forgot that I just subscribed to Clean Eating. I just saw the charge on my VISA bill. I wonder if I should dispute it and get a refund or assume it really won't be affected.
I am already paid until about 2015 or 2016. I wonder what will happen with that.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magazines