Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-15, 05:17 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

What keeps you motivated to exercise?

Since we have a thread on what makes us stop exercising, I figured it would be good to have a thread about what makes us keep exercising.

What motivates me are:
1. Health (I want my heart to keep ticking for a long time, want to be able to walk long distances and climb hills and stairs with ease, and be able to lift heavy objects).

2. Vanity (I admit that wanting to look good motivates me to keep doing it).

3. Stress reduction (Exercising keeps my mood up).

4. Better sleep (I find that I sleep much better when I have exercised that day).

5. Injury reduction (Exercising regularly keeps the aches and pains away, and being flexible through stretching helps with preventing injury---a couple of times I slipped on the ice, and knew that if I was not in good shape, I would have probably torn or strained something).

6. Feeling accomplished (When I am able to do a challenging workout, it makes me feel proud of myself, and the rewards from exercising make me feel like it is worth the effort.)
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:01 PM  
Demeris

My health--I'm 6 weeks shy of 58. I want to be strong and active for as long as possible.

Every other reason I can think of really falls under the heading of healthy aging.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:03 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Improved functionality is by far my #1 reason. I just don't feel or move well when I don't exercise.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:20 PM  
Tiny

My sanity. It's my morning therapy session. I am very grumpy if I don't get my workout in before work so I never miss it.

The results I get from working out 5 days a week are an extra added bonus.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:31 PM  
buffmama

Health and vanity are my two big motivators. Keeping up with DS was what started me on this path. The other things you mentioned FitBoop for me are happy 'accidents'/byproducts.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:41 PM  
patriots

Oh Good One!! I am teaching a staff development class at school to mostly non-exercisers, and tomorrow night I will be talking about motivation. I know what motivates me… but I am not sure I can say anything to non-exercisers that would be very motivating!!

I am just flat out vain!! I wanna look athletic and healthy!
I love being fit enough to jump into almost any sport or activity and be able to play without getting hurt… especially at 52!
I truly have reached exercise Nirvana where I really just enjoy working out!
patriots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:44 PM  
PhyllisG

I want to stay strong and flexible as I get older and even as I age I want to look good. I also find it really helps to reduce stress. When I workout I focus on what I am doing and let everything else go. Since I work out early in the a.m it helps me thru out the day.
So I guess health, vanity and stress reduction.
I am going to add fun too. I enjoy it. That more than anything is probably what keeps me consistent.

Last edited by PhyllisG; 02-09-15 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Adding
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:46 PM  
laurajhawk

It's fun! I just enjoy it. That's #1. Then #2 is the mood improvement; that's huge for me.
I can't say vanity is any part of it, not because I'm not vain, but because I never seem to exercise enough to look like a person who exercises.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 06:54 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I exercise for my health and to fight against becoming a stiff old lady (by working on my flexibility and posture).
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 07:49 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

#1 is mood improvement/sanity. Workout time is my ME time. Over the years, I've trained family & friends to understand how important it is to me.

#2 is habit. I've worked out for so long now that it's a habit like brushing my teeth. My day feels incomplete if I don't exercise (except planned rest days, of course).

#3 is health. I definitely tend to work the "calories out" side of the equation better than the "calories in" side, i.e. my workouts are better than my diet (working on that though).

#4 is appearance. Approaching 59, I find that appearance isn't as big a motivator as it used to be, but I don't want to be forced to buy bigger sizes either.

Interesting thread!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote