Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-14, 06:35 PM  
Sara1000

Have your goals changed over the years?

What are your current goals and how do you plan to accomplish them?

Mine: Stay as strong as I can, as lean as I can, as limber as I can as I enter my 70's ( one month!) and for the rest of my life! Examples of how I am doing this: Saturday I did one third of Cathe's Athletic Step without modifications, followed by X-Train Bi's & Tri's rounds 1 - 5 (but not with Cathe's poundage).
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 07:18 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Sara, you are an inspiration!

My goals have changed somewhat over the years, with my current focus being more on maintaining good health, strength, energy, and avoiding injuries (as opposed to looking good, which used to be my primary focus). I've learned over the years that when I am consistent with my workouts, everyday activities like climbing stairs, walking distances, and carrying heavy bags become easier. So, in addition to the above goals, I also want to stay consistent and keep my weekly routine balanced (including cardio, strength and flexibility training). I accomplish my goals by doing one heavy upper and lower body strength workout, various 30-60 min. cardio such as treadmill and bike, and including other workouts each week, such as Physique 57, Les Mills Pump or Cathe.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 07:55 PM  
primrosecat

Yes, I agree. You are an inspiration. I will be 65, but due to stress from job and dh's health issues I am 35 pounds over weight and do not exercise because I am too weak. My goals:to loose weight and exercise again. You give me hope.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 08:29 PM  
bubbles76

Nope, my goals haven't changed much I looked at one of my initial posts from 2007 and I still want to tone up my legs and get stronger. I think my primary goals have been consistent over these past 7 years -- increase cardio endurance, gain strength, increase definition, decrease stress, increase flexibility, and be college fine. Not afraid to admit that I have an ego and like the aesthetic results However, now that I think about it, I would also like to work out injury free, increase strength specifically in my weaker areas so that I can work out pain free, and do better with my eating.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 08:37 PM  
Sara1000

Primosecat, I have started over many times. The older I get, the longer it takes, so I am determined to keep working hard now that I'm in pretty good shape.

I hope you can start building up and get stronger! If you can find10 minutes a day and do something, what ever you can, it's a start.
Old 02-16-14, 08:45 PM  
BunnyHop

My goals haven't changed, but along the way I figured out that I needed to modify what I did to actually get there.
(i.e., start at a much lower level than I'm capable of and workout almost every single day. This has built up my stamina, which has helped me make progress after being in a rut for what seems like forever.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 07:50 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
What are your current goals and how do you plan to accomplish them?

Mine: Stay as strong as I can, as lean as I can, as limber as I can as I enter my 70's ( one month!) and for the rest of my life! Examples of how I am doing this: Saturday I did one third of Cathe's Athletic Step without modifications, followed by X-Train Bi's & Tri's rounds 1 - 5 (but not with Cathe's poundage).
Great question, Sara! And yes, as others have said, you are an inspiration. I'm only a few years behind you. I'll be 58 this year.

My goals haven't changed over the years. I don't really have a goal, just a journey to stay strong, fit, and lean. I want to be able to continue to do the workouts I've always done and run the mileage I always have. I've done that for 40+ years, so I guess I'm doing something right. Oh and I completely agree with Bubbles.... I definitely strive to stay injury free.

My typical workout day is much like yours. Yesterday I ran 6 miles and did Cathe's Afterburn. Regarding using Cathe's poundage.... I am able to match her in her current weight workouts (Burn Sets), but I always exceed her in older workouts like Pure Strength and GymStyles.
Old 02-17-14, 09:52 AM  
Sara1000

Jeanne I'm impressed but I already knew you were a workout animal!
Old 02-17-14, 10:39 AM  
momof10

Sara - You are such an inspiration for all of us. I turned 58 last year, so I am 11 years behind you. My goals have changed over the years. I have arthritis in my left hip. I have a bone spur in the front and back of my hip, so I am bone to bone. I was diagnosed at the age of 50. The doctor couldn't believe I could even walk into his office without pain. Long story short, I can't run or jog on pavement, because my hip will hurt the next day. I bought a Bellicon and I can jog on that for 2 hours and get my endorphin high as though I am jogging without the jarring in my hip. I so Tonique daily to keep my muscles strong and I love the endurance type of workouts.

Happy 70th to you next month and may you continue exercising as you have been for many years to come.

Cheryl
Old 02-17-14, 03:29 PM  
Jane1721

There are so many reasons I work out, but my goal has always been to not be fat. That hasn't changed over the past 20+ years!

And I agree, Sara, you are an inspiration!
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote