Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-21, 09:47 PM  
bfit

OT: Can medications cause dental plaque buildup?

I had a long lasting foot injury (broken bone) that I wrote about here. I am finally better and walking again, but for over 2 months I was taking a nerve pain medication. It seems like that medication caused sudden, dramatic buildup in dental plaque. It was visible and disgusting. I had my teeth cleaned today, and the dentist said it looked like I hadn't brushed my teeth for months. It was embarrassing! The only thing that was different since my last cleaning was the medication which did cause a strange taste in my mouth. Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it? I hope it was just the medication and not some strange new health problem on top of everything else.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 10:37 PM  
alisoncooks

Is it possible the medication affected the moisture level in your mouth, leading to the unpleasant taste and plaque buildup?
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 06:40 AM  
Carol K

Amoxicillin that I took for acne decades ago turned my teeth brown. The dental hygienist was able to scrape it off and said it wasn't coffee. It never came back after I stopped taking the drug. As far as I know, I'm the only person on the planet that had this reaction.
Old 01-20-21, 08:17 AM  
bubbles76

I am not a dentist or even a medical professional, but I google quite often and scare myself .

Here is an article on WebMD about how certain medications affect oral health. It mentions that certain medications can cause a strange taste, and gives the names of some of the medicines.

This article from Guardian Direct lists medications that affect oral health.

This article from Carefree Dental explains that it could be that the medicine causes dry mouth. Dry mouth can cause the following problems: "If there is a lack of saliva, the plaque on the teeth cannot be routinely washed away, as usual. The amount of friction and abrasion in the mouth increases and the gum tissue dries out. All of these things are extremely unhealthy for the teeth and oral tissues. If dry mouth becomes a chronic condition, it can significantly raise the risk of developing deep cavities." So maybe if your medicine caused dry mouth there was plaque build up?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 08:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Dilantin, an epilepsy medication, is known for it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote