Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-21, 12:51 PM  
sherry7899

I am comfort re-reading a book by Cathy Kelly. A sweet vf friend sent me a new psychological suspense book called "Pretty Little Wife" by Darby Kane. I may try to read it soon. That is my favorite genre, but my concentration is lousy now.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 02:47 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I used to love Victoria Holt novels back in the day. She's not still writing is she? Isn't Philippa Gregory a pseudonym of hers or am I completely confused?
She died a good while back, in 1993.

Victoria Holt was but one of Eleanor Hibbert's pseudonyms. Phillipa Carr was one. Read more on Wikipedia. Reading ALL her books might be a pretty lengthy hobby in itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Hibbert

Happy Reading!
Old 01-11-21, 06:30 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, yes - Jean Plaidy too! But I think I've only read her as Victoria Holt. I always found Phyllis A. Whitney's writing style somewhat similar (although she wrote both "modern" stories and historical romances).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 09:39 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
She died a good while back, in 1993.

Victoria Holt was but one of Eleanor Hibbert's pseudonyms. Phillipa Carr was one. Read more on Wikipedia. Reading ALL her books might be a pretty lengthy hobby in itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Hibbert

Happy Reading!
Yes Phillipa Carr that was it. I thought of it last night when I couldn't sleep.

I read all Victoria Holt's books decades ago. I like mystery and psychological suspense now but I did enjoy them when I read them.
Thanks for the link. ETA -- Oh I see she wrote some murder mysteries too. I should look into that. Thanks again.

And yes Phyllis Whitney was another favorite back then in a similar style.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-21, 12:18 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I finished Ruth Rendell's A Judgment in Stone which I enjoyed and then I read Susie Steiner's Missing, Presumed also very good. I will be starting The Secret History by Donna Tartt next.

I have a question just out of curiosity. When you have a series of books by an author do you read them all in succession or do you take a break and read other authors and then come back to the series? I'm tempted to read them all in a row while it's all fresh in my mind but then I don't want to burn out on the author. And if they're a favorite author I want to savor the books and not read them all at once so I'll have more to look forward to down the road. Just curious how others feel about it.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-21, 12:34 PM  
Carol K

I'm still reading The Mirror & The Light by Hilary Mantel. I just found out that Masterpiece is producing a second season of Wolf Hall based on this book. The library system has ordered another copy of Bella Poldark for me, but I don't know how long it will take for them to get it.
Old 01-21-21, 01:07 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm curious - has anyone read ALL the books in the Outlander series? I absolute loved the first 2 books, continued with the next 4 with growing discontent. I've considered returning to the series but am not sure; I recall that the last book in particular was something I really had to slog through. My next book would be An Echo in the Bone. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I just finished my 34th Dr. Alex Delaware book, The Wedding Guest.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-21-21, 01:09 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post

I have a question just out of curiosity. When you have a series of books by an author do you read them all in succession or do you take a break and read other authors and then come back to the series? I'm tempted to read them all in a row while it's all fresh in my mind but then I don't want to burn out on the author. And if they're a favorite author I want to savor the books and not read them all at once so I'll have more to look forward to down the road. Just curious how others feel about it.
I was thinking the same thing. I just read Open and Shut, which I really enjoyed and I looked to see how many books are in the series and found there are over 20! Like you, I don't want to get burned out.

I have a bunch of books on loan from the library now, so I think I will go through those first and then go back to the series when I'm done.

I am finishing The Midnight Library now. It has great reviews, but I don't like it.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-21, 01:39 PM  
alisoncooks

Just finished the most recent Lady Hardcastle mystery by TE Kinsey (The Fatal Flying Affair). (This is the whole reason I renewed my Kindle Unlimited subscription, which I otherwise don't find worth the money...)

Now to find my next read because I have to do some waiting-in-my-car-with-no-wifi tomorrow and will need to entertain myself.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-21, 01:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Erica, I used to totally avoid serial books! But now I seem to be in the midst of several. In additional to the Dr. Delaware series (which I like b/c they feature a fellow psychologist), I'm also reading the Hannah Swenson murder mysteries (like the recipes but otherwise sick of this), the Booktown mystery series, the Mantra for Murder mystery series, a couple of other yoga-themed series (some of which may now be defunct), AND I just started the Elizabeth & Mr Darcy mystery series.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading