Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-12-21, 09:36 AM  
buffmama

Helen - I'm amazed at all that you do with your injury.

Sandy - Yup, eventually I'll get to them. But the reminder is nice. Your comment on kids - LOL.

Vannie - Looks like you are the challenge queen! Nice going. Hope you're enjoying your time with Leslie. Let me know how you like Bird - I'm really enjoying her practices. Very calming.
Old 01-12-21, 11:06 AM  
Vantreesta

Buff, I really think doing Bird before bed would be a good idea but I just can't get myself to un-burrito from my cozy blanket to get on the cold floor and do yoga! If I ever manage to do a practice I'll let you know!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 06:56 PM  
Helen

BUFF
I need the THINK about foot placement to keep my knee pointing in the same direction as my toes, jump up BEFORE turning (eg Cathe figure 8, or ricochet). Physio said that as time goes on, the change in movement will become more automatic and there's some research showing that surgery may not be necessary due to this factor. Sometimes I miss a move because I wasn't mentally ready to do it. When I'm getting tired is when I'm more likely to have a moment of "oops". The couch 'runs' are more light jogs though.
I think the torn MCL must have healed, which is allowing me to do much more than than a few months ago. Physio suggested that the diagnosis of "Grade 2 tear" in MRI taken 3 months after initial injury, would have been a higher grade, but is down to a 2, due to healing in that time. It's another month on since then.

Only 2 weeks of holidays left.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 08:47 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Buff, I really think doing Bird before bed would be a good idea but I just can't get myself to un-burrito from my cozy blanket to get on the cold floor and do yoga! If I ever manage to do a practice I'll let you know!
I'm not very good at getting things done in the evening. I do find I can slip a short practice in before getting dinner on the table (which is usually cooked on the am). Mid-afternoon even is more doable.
Old 01-12-21, 08:49 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
BUFF
I need the THINK about foot placement to keep my knee pointing in the same direction as my toes, jump up BEFORE turning (eg Cathe figure 8, or ricochet). Physio said that as time goes on, the change in movement will become more automatic and there's some research showing that surgery may not be necessary due to this factor. Sometimes I miss a move because I wasn't mentally ready to do it. When I'm getting tired is when I'm more likely to have a moment of "oops". The couch 'runs' are more light jogs though.
I think the torn MCL must have healed, which is allowing me to do much more than than a few months ago. Physio suggested that the diagnosis of "Grade 2 tear" in MRI taken 3 months after initial injury, would have been a higher grade, but is down to a 2, due to healing in that time. It's another month on since then.

Only 2 weeks of holidays left.
Glad to hear this Helen. Sounds like you are mending. Enjoy your time off. 2 weeks is still a long time, even if it goes quickly.
Old 01-13-21, 07:34 PM  
Helen

Two weeks IS a long time - considering we're only at the 13th of January and New Year feels like an aeon ago!

Wed., 13th Jan.
33min, Tim - 30 Day Challenge - Day 03 to start my day, for Sadhana
60min, dog walk/training

That was it as spent most of the day getting rid of a succulent weed out of my cacti. It's Kalanchoe delagoensis but referred to as "mother of millions" and I know why.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-13-21, 07:45 PM  
Vantreesta

I finally mailed the Christmas cookies I made for my dad and my brother's family today! I also ran Alice through the car wash and got dog food then shoveled the slush off the sidewalk. We're under a winter storm watch the next two days, could get 4-8" of snow and 40 mph winds. I'm not sure how our walks will look!

Hope you get a good word from the surgeon, Helen.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-17-21, 10:18 AM  
buffmama

Really liked today's workout. Compound moves, lots of squats and presses. Also wanted to shout out to Cailin for her challenges - really getting a lot out of these that I can then incorporate into other workouts. She hasn't posted today's yet so I had to sub. Hoping Epic II isn't less strength work - from the calendar it doesn't seem to be. I feel like my muscles have popped in just this short amount of time.
Old 01-19-21, 05:57 AM  
Helen

BUFF
Quick results! You're obviously doing things the right way.

VANNIE
I balked at "ran Alice through the car wash"
Can't say I envy you getting snow when it leads to shovelling slush. I've never seen slow falling - I kind of hanker to see it one day.

Surgeon & Physio:
After conversation & checking a few moves (step work, squats, side kicks...)
Conclusion is that physio trusted me to have enough experience with a wide variety of fitness stuff to do whatever I want without being stupid. Avoid anything that would twist the knee (Yeah? Ya think?), and the ONLY new thing was that he tested when knee first began to hurt (30º bend) so for squats/lunges, don't go past that, but to maintain strength, do them all one-legged instead (& alternate) - if workout has normal squats happening.

So I'm back on board for now, until the next update - more detailed MRI/CT with 3D imaging - getting done on Friday.

Tue., 19th Jan.
49min, Denise - Sizzler

expecting to edit to add yoga (for Sadhana) and dog walk / C25k jog

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-20-21, 05:08 PM  
Vantreesta

Sigh. I'm off the rails again. My father-in-law was tested on Monday and I have been worrying/planning/thinking since then and haven't worked out since Monday. Results came back covid positive today. He is in the high risk group. He is getting IV treatment tmrw morning so I'm thankful for that.

Monday I actually ran for the first time since Oct 6! It went well. I did wk1 day1 on the treadmill so it was just run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, so only 8 run intervals, but my cardio was great and while I had some muscle discomfort there was no pain. I also did the next day of Lesley Fightmaster's challenge, the last two days of the Qi Gong challenge, a Tae Bo Express workout (the boot camp one, didn't care for it) and my PT exercises. Yesterday I shoveled for an hour.