Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-19, 10:32 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Thought I had plantar fasciitis, turned out to be a DVT blood clot!

Since there are many ladies about my age here (late forties), I thought I'd share what happened to me this week...

I went out of town on spring break a few weeks ago, and spent a week sitting in the car. I started having sharp pains in my heel while I was on vacay, and I initially attributed it to just wearing flip flops after being in supportive shoes/boots all winter. Days went on and I continued to have severe pain in my foot (could barely stand on it), and we continued to make our way home (drove for six days straight).

I really thought it was plantar fasciitis, even though I'd never had sort of flare up or even mild foot pain. When we got home, we found out we had a flooded basement from snow melting. So I had to carry boxes up stairs for a day, and by the next day, my calf was killing me. Again, I contributed it to whatever I had done to my foot and walking up stairs.

A few days passed and I started having swelling and parts of my calf turned red. My dad had a blood clot a few years ago, and they told him he had the Leiden Factor gene, which makes him prone to clots. I had never been tested for this, nor did I even think I could be at the age where this could occur. I called him and told him my symptoms, and we agreed that I should go to the ER.

They told me I had a "superficial" blood clot in my ankle but it didn't appear to be the deep vein thrombosis that is the scary type (that can dislodge and go to your lungs/heart). So I was sent home with an aspirin and told to get a follow up ultrasound this week.

At that follow up ultrasound, they told me the ER people read it incorrectly and that I do indeed have a DVT! I had been nervous since they sent me home that they didn't fully test me, and this had confirmed my suspicions. My doctor put me on Lovenox shots for a week and coumadin for six months (or the rest of my life if I have the Leiden Factor).

I just thought I'd share this in case anyone else ever has leg (or arm) pain that starts to travel up the leg. My doctor originally thought I'd pulled a muscle, but I had to keep being my own advocate, and I'm glad I didn't ignore the warning signs.
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 10:35 AM  
Hilary

Wow! That is scary ... and I'm sure glad you're okay!!
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 10:53 AM  
Judy W.

Wow! I'm glad it was caught in time. It's so easy to ignore symptoms, with the thought they'll go away in time. And then sometimes the medical establishment wants to rush us through their system! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 11:46 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks for posting this.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 11:47 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

That is really scary! Thanks for the info!

Here is more info:

https://www.medicinenet.com/deep_vei...tion_and_facts

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 11:50 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks, ladies! It was scary, and I hope I'll be able to recover slowly over the next month. I just wanted to share as a reminder to not ignore symptoms if they're out of the blue, which I often used to do when I was younger, and since we all typically take care of everyone else in our lives except ourselves!
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 11:53 AM  
gladgirl

Wow! very frightening for you!
Glad they figured it out and you are okay.
I would not have associated a clot with foot pain; thanks for sharing.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 12:33 PM  
rhbrand

How scary! I hope is resolves just find and you don't end up having a clotting disorder.
Old 04-12-19, 01:24 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing this. It is indeed scary!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 01:38 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Wow, so glad you are on the mend! I thought I had a DVT clot last fall and went to the ER. Turned out it was an infection of the lymphatic system. Clots are pretty scary. Take care of yourself!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep vein thrombosis, dvt