Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-18, 04:50 PM  
upperwside

I was pleasantly surprised by strictly strength. I did it before a Hamelin workout, I should not have as it worked all my muscles good. I used 7 and 15 pound weights. For a short workout, it's got bang for its buck! I am really happy with her latest offerings.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 07:21 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I had some extra time today, so I did the entirety of the 4 mile walk DVD. I love that we’ll be able to make a lot of different walks out of these, because the warm up, cool down and each of the walks is chaptered. Two of the walks (1 and 3) are slightly less intense than the other two (2 and 4). There are familiar moves and new moves, and this was a good steady state workout. It won’t please intensity junkies (I’m guessing they don’t even read this thread, but just a heads up anyway), but if you like Jessica you’ll love this one. And oh, the scenery. And yay, there’s a timer for each mile.

Mile 3 was my favorite...very flowly and lovely feeling.

I wanted to finish it off with one of Jessica’s new yoga routines, but the new Jane Adams arrived and I had to do that, instead. What a wonderful workout I had today!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 03:48 PM  
Kizzy

Got all 4 of Jessica's workouts today (YAY!!) PLUS her 10 Pounds Down Cardio Abs. The Cardio Abs is always showing up on her 6 week rotations so instead of subbing it I thought I would purchase it too. The Amazon reviews were all pretty much positive.

I was a little upset because the DVD's came in a LARGE padded envelope and one of the cases is busted up pretty bad. The shrink wrap was actually torn off of it. I've never had that happen before. In fact usually when I purchase this many they tend to come in a box. Oh well! The DVD looks to be in good shape so I guess that is all that matters.

Are you all pleased with the ones you have purchased?
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 06:22 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Well .... I got the Strength and Gentle Yoga ones and probably won’t keep them. I don’t do much lower body stuff because of a bad knee and I got a little bored standing there FFing through the strength workouts because they’re not chaptered at all. Also, I’m not a fan of circuits. “Let’s set that all up on the other side now.”

Also, as much as I love her last yoga workout because it’s more “stretchy,” this one is too pose-y. Once I got to downward dog, I quickly switched to the other practice and that was full of poses, too. Typical for yoga I guess, but not what I was expecting or what I like.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 07:14 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
(snip)

I got all four and have previewed all but the Fusion Yoga. So far, I like what I've seen!

Donna
Old 12-19-18, 10:17 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Got all 4 of Jessica's workouts today (YAY!!) PLUS her 10 Pounds Down Cardio Abs. The Cardio Abs is always showing up on her 6 week rotations so instead of subbing it I thought I would purchase it too. The Amazon reviews were all pretty much positive.

I was a little upset because the DVD's came in a LARGE padded envelope and one of the cases is busted up pretty bad. The shrink wrap was actually torn off of it. I've never had that happen before. In fact usually when I purchase this many they tend to come in a box. Oh well! The DVD looks to be in good shape so I guess that is all that matters.

I really liked the walking workouts. I’ve only been able to do one of the strength workouts (strictly strength) and really liked that one, too, and will use it a lot. I liked changing out weights, wince that allows me to go heavier when I can. I haven’t tried anything from the yoga DVDs or even previewed them, but hopefully this weekend...
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-18, 11:14 AM  
Judy W.

I bought the Walk and Strenth dvds.

I did the first 2 miles of the walk, and felt challenged. As advertised, those 2 miles gave me a good cardio effect while remaining truly low impact. So far so good!

Having read many a review noting that the Strength dvd is squat/lunge heavy, and as the owner of a pair of extremely argumentative knees, I approached both Strength workouts with some healthy fear and trembling.

I was so pleased that I WAS able to do both without pain! Fortunately, I can accomplish squats and lunges by emphasizing the hip hinge, and when I do that, the knees just go along for the ride. I don't go deep, but I do go to a point where the knee twinges have not yet begun. I really enjoyed the upper body work on both, and appreciated the cardio effect from the compound movements in Stepping Strength and using the heavier weights in Strictly Strength. (I will add that if I had hip issues in addition to the bad knees, I'd probably not be able to do these.)

I'm really pleased! I was afraid I was going to be confined to "senior" workouts (I'm 69), which can be very beginner-ish. Furthermore, the instructors are often just a bit condescending, speaking as though they were talking to children. It's good to know I can still purchase new workouts from Jessica and feel challenged without needing to fear further injury.

I didn't get the yoga dvds because I just don't do yoga. I was part of a "Yoga Center" back in the 70s, and this Yankee went "om" quite enough, thank you! But I'm really happy with what I got.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-18, 11:21 AM  
donnamp

Judy -I was also pleasantly surprised by Strictly Strength (I haven't done Stepping Strength yet). I thought it would possibly bother my lower back/hips (I have wonky issues there) but it went well and no pain afterwards!

LOL - just re-read your post - my knees are good, hips/lower back wonky at times - but it sounds like these workouts can accommodate either issue as long as you don't have issues with both areas!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-18, 11:30 AM  
suzannaerin

I did the entire cardio workout and enjoyed it. Agree that the third section is really great.

Now I’m tempted to get the strength workout......
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-18, 01:12 AM  
Fitstick

What level are these new ones compared to her other releases? Is the cardio any different?
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith get strong, jessica smith workouts