Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 03-25-03, 09:43 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Whcih Joyce to buy and in what order?

Hi everyone

I have had a few people ask me lately which Joyce they should buy, how many you need etc. so I thought it might be fun for us Joyce users to compare our ‘essential’ Joyce---do you really need all the tapes? Which ones do you need and in what order should you buy them if you can only buy one at a time?

I think step one would be to get two books from the library: Weight Training Made Easier and The Bathing Suit workout. WTME is a great book because it has four progressive levels, and once you learn the information, you can photocopy the pull-out charts and follow the workout that way. The progressive levels offer an endurance workout, a modified pyramid, a modified pyramid in supersets and one in giant sets. As for the Bathing Suit workout, I think the video moves far too quickly for most people. But the floorwork is very good and this is an extremely easy one to follow from the book. You can do it as she suggests in the boom, or video-style, one set for eveything.

For a first video, I would get the Bone-Building Workout. This is my favourite Joyce tape. She has a nice, slow lifting speed, so you can grow with this tape by going heavy. And because you finish one exercise before moving on to the next one, the workout goes by very quickly. You do a solid two exercises per body part and you get a rest after every set. As usual, Joyce lies about the time, but not by much---instead of 20 minutes, each day clocks in at just under half an hour.

The next set I would suggest is Definition. This is a good complement to the BBW because it uses a completely different approach: the full pyramid. It also goes so fast you can only use light weights for it---a nice cross-train with the heavier weights you can use in BBW. It is also Joyce’s most time-efficient workout, with a minimum plan, competently chaptered, that takes just 15 minutes.

I would get Dynamic Tension next because it again uses a completely different approach, so you are not duplicating the same workout but in a different package. I use this tape as an endurance workout, using the heaviest weight I can manage for all 3 sets. But you could pyramid too. Each section takes just 12 minutes, so you can do two a day for a nice split routine in under half an hour. Plus the lifting speed here is very slow and careful.

If you get the workouts on DVD, you’ll already have Non-Stop on the Dynamic Tension disk, and it can be a nice change of pace from the other workouts. It is like the Bathing Suit workout but for the entire body---you do a giant set (one set of every exercise in the workout) with each group of weights. It too is under half an hour.

Finally, I would get Bottoms Up Gold, but this is definitely an optional one. It is similar to BBW in that it moves slowly and you can go heavy, but it pairs up the exercises by body part. It is much, much longer than the ad copy on Joyce’s website leads you to believe---70 minutes for workout day 1 if you do the whole thing. But she chapters each set of 22 exercises as a unit, so you can hit skip after 2 or 3 sets to go through it faster. Dping two sets (i.e. 2 exercises per body part, for 3 sets each) on workout day 1 takes about 25 minutes, which is similar to BBW---but the fast that you have the versatility to go 3 or 4 sets makes this a nice extra workout to have since it will give you a lot of options.

I don’t think you would need any further Joyce workouts beyond this point. Weight Training Made Easier is nearly identical to Bottoms Up Gold in structure, but it moves much faster---and you’d already have super-fast in Definition and Non-Stop. And Fast Forward is an okay workout, but many people find the 3-day split annoying. I think Fat-Burning Workout is decent, but it is a little dated, and I don’t think it will give you anything you don’t already have.

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-03, 12:08 PM  
Susan

Smile Thanks again, Joanna!

Thanks for the update, Joanna!

As soon as I receive all of the packages I'm expecting, I'll have most of Joyce's workouts (with the exception of Bone Building, WTME, and BUG -- although I have the original Bottoms Up series.) I'm not planning on buying Interval Aerobics or the stretching tape, because I have so many other tapes that are similar, and you've helped my cross WTME off my list, too.

I am anxious to try all of the workouts, because I have a feeling I'll agree with your reviews. I'm planning to try rotating Fat Burning with Definition (when I get them,) because a few people have posted great results when they used both of them together. What did you find dated about Fat Burning, other than hair and makeup? Since you've tried all of Joyce's tapes, I'm very interested in hearing your opinions!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 09:49 AM  
Jammin'
VF Supporter

What a treasure!

This is so helpful to us Joyce novices. Thanks so much for doing this, Joanna!
Old 04-04-03, 07:16 PM  
GeorgiaB

Great thread and so much work! Thanks!

I have the book, Weight Training Made Easier and while I really like the book, I have no intention of buying it or any of Joyce's other dvd's. I like having the book for those times I want to work out at my own pace and to my own music. What I'm wondering, for those of you who own more than one of her books, is do the different books have different exercises in them or do they have the same exercises in them, but just done in a different manner (ie pyramid, supersets, ect.). I'd like to get another of her books, but not if it's going to be the same exercises done slightly differently. I can always change up the exercises from WTME myself. Does anyone know?
GeorgiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 07:03 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

On a recent thread, Alta asks some wonderful questions about the Definition workout:

1.) Are lightning fast rep workouts easier for some body types. Am I lacking in enough fast-twitch muscles?

2.) Does one just start out with, for exapmple, 1, 2, and 3lb dumbells and work one's way up to higher weight?

3.) What exactly is the benefit of such speedy training?

4.) Since I find this type of training so difficult, does that mean I need to do it more?

5.) How do you keep from hurting yourself by using momentum in the moves?

You can consult the following thread for some great answers:

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...threadid=34726

Joanna (trying to keep the thread up to date :-) )
Old 11-12-03, 07:27 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Just updating this discussion with a link to a recent interesting thread:

Cathe's Pyramid vs Joyce's Definition

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...threadid=39705

Also, reporting that Joyce has launched a pay "members only" club that includes sepcial emails, product discounts and special chats with her, as well as an e-copy of her diet book. She changes her deals around a lot so if this interests you, you should probably go to her website www.joycevedral.com to get further information. Vfers have had mixed reactions to this---many have pointed out that pay forums are seldom warmly received and that Joyce's prior non-pay emails have been sloppily written and not much more than glorified sales pitches. But of course, these decisions are personal ones and if people are willing to pay for this service and Joyce wants to offer it, she will do so. I do want to point out to newcomers though that VF has a very comprehensive free forum and reviews of all of Joyce's tapes. So if what you are looking for is information on Joyce's products, that is not necessarily information you would need to pay for :-)

Joanna
Old 02-21-05, 04:08 PM  
brooklyngrrl
VF Supporter

I LOVE this thread, thanks so much! Revisiting it today, I noticed that none of the links seem to work now (I'm repeatedly getting a "connection refused" message) -- is it just my end, or is there a problem generated by a change to the VF board since the thread was originally created? The archives might be hosted on another server these days.
brooklyngrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 06:42 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Hi everyone

Just updating with some recent news Firstly, I would like to mention that New Idea Fitness (newideafitness.com) is now selling some of the Joyce workouts. I do not work for them or have any affiliation with them, but I am pointing this out because I know people have had problems with Joyce's customer service in the past and knowing that there is another source for the workouts now is helpful information. There is also an ebay vendor who seems to pop up regularly with lots of Joyce stuff. I am happy to see other options for ordering these workouts.

Secondly, I am adding some links below to some more recent threads that continue the never-ending Joyce dialogue here at VF So here they are:

Vertical/Abs/1234 Reviews?
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=63907

Joyce Vedral (comments on more recent workouts)
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=59861

Joyce Vedral (question about newer workouts)
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=50711

Joyce’s Vertical Abs
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=57820

Just Joyce Overview
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=66933

JV Question (Definition workout)
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=63878

Joyce Vedral Query (general)
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=61845

Joyce Vedral Vendor Comments
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=64803

Joanna
Old 11-25-06, 06:15 PM  
kornstar

Definition equipment?

Hi all,

I've been looking through the Everything Joyce section but can't find an answer to my question - what equipment do I need to do Joyce's Definition dvd?

I've been considering buying Definition but thought that the price was high enough without having to buy new bits & pieces as well. I have plenty of dumbells and a step that I use as a bench as my workout space is small.

Will this do?

Donna (kornstar)
kornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 06:26 PM  
kornstar

And while we're on the subject

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask...

I tried to post the question I just asked as a new thread but for some reason I'm not allowed to post new threads. Any clues on that one?

I've posted a new thread once before & had no problems.

Sorry about being OT, but I can't start a new thread to ask about this!

Donna (kornstar)
kornstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, everything, everything joyce vedral, joyce vedral, momentum, now or never, top shape